Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Depressed by Ebay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=328997)

lampertb 12-14-2022 01:58 PM

Depressed by Ebay

Listing a few cards today, I bothered to look back at my own Ebay feedback as a seller. Most of it was pre-Covid, including a Babe Ruth PSA A for less than $800. Mantle rookie SGC A for about $1,500. Low-grade Hank Aaron rookie for pennies on the dollar. I stopped reading at that point.
Sheesh... if only I'd foreseen the price spikes.

Gorditadogg 12-14-2022 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lampertb (Post 2294024)
Listing a few cards today, I bothered to look back at my own Ebay feedback as a seller. Most of it was pre-Covid, including a Babe Ruth PSA A for less than $800. Mantle rookie SGC A for about $1,500. Low-grade Hank Aaron rookie for pennies on the dollar. I stopped reading at that point.

I'm happy for you that you didn't sell everything and still have cards to list.

ullmandds 12-14-2022 03:20 PM

Most of us have been there! If not Ebay the auction houses. What I would give to have back my PSA 4 goudey Babe Ruth/yellow backround back that sold for under 3k years ago!!

1952boyntoncollector 12-14-2022 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lampertb (Post 2294024)

right you hear that than you hear everyone complain about museum prices that never sell....

bmattioli 12-14-2022 04:38 PM

If you do the "what if" it will drive you crazy. The past is done..

BioCRN 12-14-2022 04:56 PM

On the total opposite side of things, it was nice to be able to get rid of an insane amount of junk wax era stuff that was cluttering up the place at rather nice prices.

Who knew a market for 1990 Juan Gonzalez graded cards (especially the Donruss Rev Neg error) would emerge again in the 2020? All those "might as well keep them rather than take a loss" 85 McGwire cards suddenly became a profit.

lampertb 12-15-2022 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioCRN (Post 2294094)
On the total opposite side of things, it was nice to be able to get rid of an insane amount of junk wax era stuff that was cluttering up the place at rather nice prices.

Who knew a market for 1990 Juan Gonzalez graded cards (especially the Donruss Rev Neg error) would emerge again in the 2020? All those "might as well keep them rather than take a loss" 85 McGwire cards suddenly became a profit.

Yes, if only I had those dozen or so Kevin Maas rookies back from 30 years ago.... ;)

Brian Van Horn 12-15-2022 06:45 AM

Can't help but to think the Bill Mastro element is driving the explosion in prices through new levels of scams.

bnorth 12-15-2022 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioCRN (Post 2294094)

A huge +1. I also unloaded a ton of stuff for really good money that you couldn't give away before. Not sure how the graded junk wax is doing but the majority of ungraded is returning to being almost worthless again.

Can't help but to think the Bill Mastro element is driving the explosion in prices through new levels of scams
Yes it is amazing how just a few people can and do manipulate the market so easily. Kinda always been that way though. Best advice on that is to never buy the cool hot card(s) because it/they are only cool and hot because it is being pumped and dumped by someone/group. I used to hate that about the hobby, then in the last few years I have decided it is fun to sit back and watch.

Snapolit1 12-15-2022 08:34 AM

Regret is a wasted emotion.

steve B 12-15-2022 12:34 PM

After 40+ years, I try very hard not to think about things like that. More for the stuff I didn't buy than the stuff I sold since I rarely sell anything "good"

ALBB 12-15-2022 12:38 PM

should have

Yea, regrets both ways. .stuff you should have bought. And stuff you shouldn't have sold !

doug.goodman 12-15-2022 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2294284)
Regret is a wasted emotion.

EXACTLY.

Never look back on what you sold in terms of value today.

The best you can do is what you did in the moment, and if you aren't happy with what you are doing in the moment - THEN DON'T DO IT.

JustinD 12-15-2022 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmattioli (Post 2294090)
If you do the "what if" it will drive you crazy. The past is done..

It will also repeat itself both ways if you just wait long enough.

Been collecting long enough to know that we will most certainly have much lower prices than this at some point as the circle of collecting goes round. Also, been around long enough to know that some freak occurrence will drive prices higher than they were.

You just need to keep breathing long enough to see it come and go.

jingram058 12-15-2022 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2294383)
It will also repeat itself both ways if you just wait long enough.

Been collecting long enough to know that we will most certainly have much lower prices than this at some point as the circle of collecting goes round. Also, been around long enough to know that some freak occurrence will drive prices higher than they were.

You just need to keep breathing long enough to see it come and go.

+1 totally agree with this...graded or raw, it does not matter.