Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Open for Bidding - Love of the Game 10th Anniversary Auction (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=327338)

Al C.risafulli 11-07-2022 07:26 PM

Open for Bidding - Love of the Game 10th Anniversary Auction

Hi All!

Just a quick note to let everyone know that the LOTG 10th Anniversary auction is open for bidding. The closing date is Saturday, November 26.

This is a pretty special one for us. It's a small auction, but we think it packs a wallop, with some pretty great material in it.

There's a great T206 set of 520, with all 250 known subjects with Polar Bear backs, and all the Southern Leaguers with Old Mill backs.

PSA's highest-graded 1921 Exhibits Babe Ruth is a favorite of mine, as this is my favorite Ruth card.

Speaking of Ruth, there's an amazing scrapbook that's highlighted by a signed photo of the Babe, but it's the story behind it that makes it so special.

We have a complete run of Brooklyn Dodgers vs. New York Yankees World Series ticket stubs, a really strong selection of Type 1 photos, an awesome group of photos and postcards from the estate of Barney Pelty, and lots more.

I hope you all enjoy this auction as much as we enjoyed putting it together!

To reach the auction, go here: https://bid.loveofthegameauctions.com/Lots/Gallery

Thanks!
-Al

Peter_Spaeth 11-07-2022 07:43 PM

Oscar Charleston, damn.

And an anticipated hello to Barry, hope you are well.

Casey2296 11-07-2022 07:54 PM

Congratulations on your 10th anniversary Al!

BobC 11-07-2022 08:03 PM

Yes, congrats Al, another great auction.

Kenny Cole 11-07-2022 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2281555)
Oscar Charleston, damn.

And an anticipated hello to Barry, hope you are well.

Yeah, getting divorced sucks.

raulus 11-07-2022 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Cole (Post 2281565)
Yeah, getting divorced sucks.

Apologies to be completely oblivious to the references here.

And I don’t mean to pry or be insensitive…but inquiring minds need to know…

But did I infer correctly that someone is selling all or a chunk of their collection to pay off the wife’s divorce settlement?

Kenny Cole 11-07-2022 08:44 PM

That would be me. But on the bright side, by doing this I get to keep quite a few of my other cards, including my other two Charlestons. In return, I suppose I get some Le Cruse cookware and some stemware. Seems fair. :(

raulus 11-07-2022 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Cole (Post 2281579)
That would be me. But on the bright side, by doing this I get to keep quite a few of my other cards, including my other two Charlestons. In return, I suppose I get some Le Cruse cookware and some stemware. Seems fair. :(

Wow. My sympathies.

At this point, based on friends who have been through it, I’m guessing that you are probably as disappointed about the effect on your collection as anything.

But maybe I’m just projecting.

Peter_Spaeth 11-07-2022 09:10 PM

Quote:

Kenny you're a good man sorry to hear this.

Casey2296 11-07-2022 09:31 PM

Quote:

At least you didn't cut all the cards in half and bring them to the mediators office.

ethicsprof 11-07-2022 09:41 PM

Happy 10th Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!

I always love to read the master wordsmith's introductory column in the catalogs. This one was so moving and poignant. Remembering the story of Al and superstorm Sandy helped me to realize once more Al's never-ending love for the hobby. Just picturing Al with flashlight, wrapping all the items to be mailed to the auction winners, generator hummin' with Al keeping all things going through 11 days without electricity. This is no surprise to me as 37 auctions have exhibited a gentleman who sincerely loves this hobby and fellow hobbyists and fully embodies a Love and Joy for the Game. Al is correct when he states that this is a very special auction from very special consigners with very special items expertly and delicately cherished by LOTG. And I look forward to many more with greatest anticipation.
Warmest wishes and congratulation to my ole buddy, Al. Barry

and P.S. to P.S. esq
I am well and wish the same for you always, ole buddy
Barry

oldjudge 11-07-2022 11:42 PM

Kenny—Sorry to hear the news. Hopefully, your cards end up in good places.

Topnotchsy 11-08-2022 06:44 AM

Excited for the auction, and really pleased with the attention that went into the description of my items, particularly the Happy Chandler Contract.

benjulmag 11-08-2022 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 2281611)
Kenny—Sorry to hear the news. Hopefully, your cards end up in good places.

+1

Kenny Cole 11-08-2022 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjulmag (Post 2281659)
+1

Thank you.

BRoberts 11-08-2022 05:36 PM

Big thank you to Al for a smaller auction with a higher concentration of collector-grade cards. Much appreciated.

michael3322 11-08-2022 07:12 PM

Open for Bidding - Love of the Game 10th Anniversary Auction

Great auction as always. Well curated.

felada 11-09-2022 02:59 AM

You know it’s a great auction when a n167 HOF didn’t even make Al’s highlights above

mrreality68 11-09-2022 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2281580)
Wow. My sympathies.

At this point, based on friends who have been through it, I’m guessing that you are probably as disappointed about the effect on your collection as anything.

But maybe I’m just projecting.

+1 Agree and hopefully everything sells strong for you great auction so it looks like you have some great cards here