Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Does PSA grade photos like these Dodger photos including Jackie Robinson? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=323562)

whiteymet 08-15-2022 11:46 AM

Does PSA grade photos like these Dodger photos including Jackie Robinson?

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys:

I am not really a photo collector or a graded guy. But I recently picked up a group of cool ( to my eyes at least) Brooklyn Dodger photos including Jackie Robinson and other players. Some in uniform some in street clothes. Many other players, like Reese, Bridges, and many more and Manger Dressen

These appear to be personal photos f the time. I am not sure of the size as I have yet to receive them but I am thinking they are are appox 3x5

Has anyone had PSA grade any photos like this? Do you know if they grade smaller photos like these? I am guessing they would bring a better price graded

Any info appreciated.

Snapolit1 08-15-2022 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They will indeed authenticate pics like that. Got this done earlier this year.

Lucas00 08-15-2022 12:36 PM

Sweet Snaps Fred!!!!

As shown above psa will authenticate them. Beckett actually will too but it seems like a headache trying to figure out their photo submissions.

If any become for sale feel free to message me.

whiteymet 08-15-2022 01:11 PM

More Brooklyn Dodger photos

12 Attachment(s)
Steve and Lucas Thanks for the info. Lucas, they will all be available at some point. I just have to figure out what I have and the value

I have been asked to show the other photos in the group.

I can ID most of them, one I believe is mis ID'ed with the name under the photo. That is the last photo. It says Ray Moore but I think it is Clem Labine.

Next to last I believe is Johnny Schmitz

The two after Reese I am not sure of. Can anyone ID them?

These all appear to be from 1951 or 1952 as Bridges was just with the Dodgers those two years

Others in order top to bottom are Branca, Bridges, Cox, Dressen, Furillo, King, Pittler, Reese, then ??, then?? and finally I believe Schmitz

Any corrections appreciated

ooo-ribay 08-15-2022 01:21 PM

They'll grade anything if there's a buck to be made. :mad:

doug.goodman 08-15-2022 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2253160)
They'll grade anything if there's a buck to be made. :mad:

You beat me to that comment Rob.

Edited to say :

Fantastic snapshots Fred, if you get tired of them, let me know.

Doug

Snapolit1 08-15-2022 02:12 PM

I'd authenticate the Jackie and the Hodges snaps, and then sell the rest in the same auction raw. Authenticating the others might be worth it economically.

frankbmd 08-15-2022 02:59 PM

So you would authenticicate the Robinson and Hodges????

Without authentication who are they. ——— stunt doubles

Lucas00 08-15-2022 03:21 PM

I personally wouldn’t authenticate any of them. Having bought and sold a good handful of snaps, I’ve learned the people who want them don’t care about that. The fact they are unique is enough.

David Atkatz 08-15-2022 07:37 PM

Must you ask?
They'll authenticate absolutely anything. For a price, of course.

whiteymet 08-15-2022 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 2253319)
Must you ask?
They'll authenticate absolutely anything. For a price, of course.

The reason for my question was because of size of holders etc. And that these photos are not "professionally" produced.

But it is NOT true PSA will "authenticate absolutely anything" as you say. One thing I am aware of is they do not grade Exhibit Football cards. I am sure there are other issues and things as well.

Snapolit1 08-16-2022 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas00 (Post 2253223)
I personally wouldn’t authenticate any of them. Having bought and sold a good handful of snaps, I’ve learned the people who want them don’t care about that. The fact they are unique is enough.

For the Jackie above, the seller gave me two copies of the photo, one was original and the other was a copy. I sort of figured it out on my own, but I was happy to get the PSA auth on the real one to remove any doubt.

gonefishin 08-16-2022 09:22 AM

Congrats, I saw them in the same auction and was going to bid but unfortunately I wasn't available.

They won't "grade them" but will classify them by type and encapsulate them. I have several photographs that I've sent them. If they require an oversized holder there is an upcharge of $30, and $50 to classify them. Without seeing them in person, I'm guessing the deckle edge are type 1 snapshots. They are definitely not team issued - any team issued photos are classified as type III.

The problem with sending them to PSA is they go to the NJ branch and are NEVER logged in until they are ready to be sent back. I've got an autographed Chief Bender photo and an autographed Cal Hubbard photo with them that were delivered on Jun 3 and are still not logged in. The only way you have of knowing they have received them is your tracking from USPS, UPS, etc. It worries the hell out of me every time. The same issues with autographed items exists with PSA in CA. With that said, since they are not autographed the turn around is approximately 2 - 3 months. If they were autographed it will be much longer.

Yes, I have emailed CS several times requesting the status and have called a couple of times. They are so overwhelmed that I haven't even made it into the que for a call back! The que for the day is full by the time I call. I might stand a better chance if I were on the East coast or try at 4 in the morning but that's not going to happen.

Regardless - good luck! I would definitely have Robinson, Snider and Reese photos classified. From experience, if you're going to sell them and maximize your profit - get them classified.

David Atkatz 08-16-2022 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteymet (Post 2253338)
The reason for my question was because of size of holders etc. And that these photos are not "professionally" produced.

But it is NOT true PSA will "authenticate absolutely anything" as you say. One thing I am aware of is they do not grade Exhibit Football cards. I am sure there are other issues and things as well.

That's right. They're not "professionally produced." They are obviously snapshots. Almost definitely unique--most people, when taking snapshots never do/did anything with the negatives.
Do you really need PSA to encapsulate them and label them snapshots? Why do you need them to validate the fucking obvious?

ooo-ribay 08-16-2022 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 2253466)
Do you really need PSA to encapsulate them and label them snapshots? Why do you need them to validate the fucking obvious?

Brutally honest! :p

perezfan 08-16-2022 01:07 PM

What a money-grab. Encapsulating snapshots…. really??

We should start a net54 snapshot authorization service. It would take no expertise, and approximately 3 seconds to deem each photo authentic.

Snapolit1 08-16-2022 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2253501)
Brutally honest! :p

I don't reckon it's hard in this day and age for someone to scan a snapshot and reprint it on some kind of photo paper. In fact I just received one.

JollyElm 08-16-2022 03:02 PM

Not sure if anyone chimed in yet, but that is absolutely Clem Labine. Above him is a young Roger Craig, and I believe if you head north you'll find Andy Pafko there.

whiteymet 08-16-2022 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2253564)
Not sure if anyone chimed in yet, but that is absolutely Clem Labine. Above him is a young Roger Craig, and I believe if you head north you'll find Andy Pafko there.

Hey Darren: Thanks for the input. I think you are 2 for 3!

Thanks for agreeing about Clem Labine and ID'ing Andy Pafko.

However as I stated the guy above Labine is not Roger Craig. Craig did not debut till 1955 and these photos are from 1952. I mentioned I thought it was Johnny Schmitz. I think if you check out this card and compare it to the photo you will agree.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25566638135...Bk9SR_aQxorVYA

JollyElm 08-16-2022 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, do not want to be in any way argumentative, but I still think it's Roger Craig. Perhaps he was there with the club (wherever these were taken) in spring training or something. Not sure when exactly he was in Korea. Or perhaps some(?) of the photos were taken a different year?

That signature brush cut, the tiny little mouth, the chin, the ears, etc. The 'surprise' flash seemingly opened his eyes a little more than usual, but it's pretty close to what is seen on his 1957 card.

Attachment 530088

JollyElm 08-16-2022 08:14 PM

In that picture, I immediately see the 'soul' of Roger Craig. No doubt in my mind if this was taking place in a vacuum. However, having never seen pics of Johnny Schmitz before, I decided to give him a go, and there are images of him that certainly resemble your photo. If that's who you think it is, then trust your gut.

David Atkatz 08-16-2022 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2253523)
I don't reckon it's hard in this day and age for someone to scan a snapshot and reprint it on some kind of photo paper. In fact I just received one.

It's a fuckin' miracle! You managed to determine it wasn't an original without PSA's help! Incredible!

EddieP 08-20-2022 03:40 AM

PSA and Beckett authenticate photos. The problem with them is they get too cute and classify the photos into different types. This can affect the price if you decide to sell them ( I’ve seen some major screw-ups both good and bad).