Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Humorous auction listing description - share some! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=321644)

brianp-beme 06-30-2022 12:34 PM

Humorous auction listing description - share some!

1 Attachment(s)
Over the years I have come across numerous examples, all unfortunately forgotten, of auction descriptions that made me chuckle while shaking my head. Here is a portion of a 1948 Bowman listing that I have pasted below, with a scan of the card being described, that made me ponder the definition of the word 'tiny'.

"...Stan Musial, found here in an Authentic card that would typically be designated as Poor because of a tiny section of one corner being missing."

Brian

Leon 06-30-2022 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That reminds me of Larry Fritsch (RIP). I had many dealings with him through the mail order catalog. There were NO pics before ordering.
I would order around 10 cards and if I kept 3-4 it was worth it. He never minded returns as long as you told him why. I remember things like...."well, an ex card can't be ripped"...or "a vg card can't really have 10 creases through his face".... but he always took the return with no issues.

I don't have a description for this one. I bought it from a board member. I think he said it was oversized on top and ragged.
I did see a pic on it and there was a little premium for it's weirdness, as I recall.

Eric72 06-30-2022 01:15 PM

I used to find some of these funny. Lately, though, I just feel like sellers who do this are a complete waste of time.
  • "Dead Centered!" for a card that's 65/35 both ways
  • "Slight surface imperfection" That card has a punch hole, champ
  • "Possibly trimmed" when it has a border significantly smaller than it should (I'm talking no-doubt-about-it trim job)
  • "Strong for the grade/undergraded" wow. amazing. every one one of thirty-seven cards you're selling should have received a two-grade bump from where it's at.
  • "Selling as a reprint because of eBay rules" No, you're not. You're selling as a reprint because that's what it is.

JollyElm 06-30-2022 05:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Does this "Perfect condition!" card that I ran across yesterday count? The chorus from the great oldie 'Everything Is Beautiful' by Ray Stevens immediately comes to mind...

Attachment 523354
Attachment 523355

Leon 07-01-2022 08:57 AM

The Babe....

Perfect is sort of subjective....

campyfan39 07-01-2022 02:22 PM

There is a current ebay listing for a 53 topps Campy that says "SCARCE" in title. It was double printed haha.

Tere1071 07-01-2022 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2238789)
Does this "Perfect condition!" card that I ran across yesterday count? The chorus from the great oldie 'Everything Is Beautiful' by Ray Stevens immediately comes to mind...

Attachment 523354
Attachment 523355

I see this quite a bit on eBay, I don't know if it's out of ignorance or the attempt to be intentionally misleading. Though I would lean more towards the former, I've also known some sellers who were dishonest or filled with self-assuredness that their cards were impeccable and worthy of the high asking price. Sorry, I'm in a contrarian mood today.

Phil aka Tere1071

brianp-beme 07-02-2022 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From the auction listing: 1954 Topps Set Break # 32 Duke Snider LOW GRADE Crease From Pin Hole Dmg.

I guess I just demand that cards with large portions missing should be accurately described.

Brian (pinholes are for pinheads without pincushions)

BobC 07-02-2022 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2239212)
From the auction listing: 1954 Topps Set Break # 32 Duke Snider LOW GRADE Crease From Pin Hole Dmg.

I guess I just demand that cards with large portions missing should be accurately described.

If that is a pin hole, I'd hate to see what a nail hole looks like!

Clutch-Hitter 07-03-2022 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
CSG fan but come on! Dang near miscut

Eric72 07-03-2022 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutch-Hitter (Post 2239340)

Not a good look.

Yoda 07-04-2022 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2239212)

Duke considered himself quite lucky that the NYG team sniper just missed at 1,000 yards.

JustinD 07-05-2022 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutch-Hitter (Post 2239340)

I would say that card just kept a ton of people from buying CSG, but added a ton of submitters hoping for some serious generosity in grading. :(