Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Happy 170 years, Cap "the Swede" Anson (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=318412)

pete zouras 04-18-2022 08:03 PM

Happy 170 years, Cap "the Swede" Anson

A day late actually. Picked up his book recently and stumbled across his birthdate. In his honor show you Cap cards or photos

philliesfan 04-18-2022 08:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Only had a scan of my Anson with other cards.
Happy Birthday Cappy!
Attachment 512767

oldjudge 04-18-2022 11:24 PM

Why honor the guy who was so instrumental in instituting the color barrier in baseball?

G1911 04-18-2022 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 2216591)
Why honor the guy who was so instrumental in instituting the color barrier in baseball?

It appears Mr. Anson is your profile picture?

Someone share their N162, I don't have one but it's my favorite 19th century baseball lithograph.

pete zouras 04-19-2022 06:03 AM

Mayo

1 Attachment(s)
Anson.

oldjudge 04-19-2022 01:12 PM

You are exactly right. It is an old picture which I will change. Thank you for pointing that out.

Seven 04-19-2022 01:25 PM

I don't know how to feel about Anson.

He was a fantastic baseball player, he has some beautiful issues as well. He was also clearly a product of his time, and one of the main catalysts for instituting a color barrier in Major League Baseball.

I respect his talent, I do not respect the man. Would probably sum up my feelings the best.

G1911 04-19-2022 01:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If people object to posting pictures of cards of players who held views that are not in accord with present values (which will soon be out of date and anathema to the popular narratives themselves), then there will be very, very, very little we could possibly post about .

Can we just see some cards? I'm a poor armpit collector so I don't have any Cap's from his career, but I love the art style on his 2011 Goodwin:

skelly423 04-19-2022 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven (Post 2216791)
I don't know how to feel about Anson.

He was a fantastic baseball player, he has some beautiful issues as well. He was also clearly a product of his time, and one of the main catalysts for instituting a color barrier in Major League Baseball.

I respect his talent, I do not respect the man. Would probably sum up my feelings the best.

I think that's a fairly universal view of the man. I think his role in establishing the color barrier is so substantial that it (rightly) overshadows his on-field performance. Product of his time or not, he was a vile human, and plenty of collectors make the deliberate choice not to collect his cards.

jthorst75 04-19-2022 01:54 PM

I'll gladly show my only Cap

https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...ictureid=25613

Seven 04-19-2022 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2216801)
If people object to posting pictures of cards of players who held views that are not in accord with present values (which will soon be out of date and anathema to the popular narratives themselves), then there will be very, very, very little we could possibly post about .

Can we just see some cards? I'm a poor armpit collector so I don't have any Cap's from his career, but I love the art style on his 2011 Goodwin:

I don't object to the posting of his cards at all. I was speaking to more of him as a person, rather than as a player. I do not think a pre-war collection is complete, without having an Anson in it.

puckpaul 04-20-2022 07:47 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Have a few Caps.

jingram058 04-20-2022 09:14 AM

Hal Chase was a dickhead, too. That said, and the thread I started a while back about his t205 card, needless to say I won't buy or trade for any Anson cards.

But, they are good looking cards.

Huysmans 04-20-2022 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2216801)

Great post and attractive looking card. I'd love an Anson, but would prefer an original photo to a card.

fkm_bky 04-20-2022 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skelly423 (Post 2216802)
I think that's a fairly universal view of the man. I think his role in establishing the color barrier is so substantial that it (rightly) overshadows his on-field performance. Product of his time or not, he was a vile human, and plenty of collectors make the deliberate choice not to collect his cards.

+1

I have no issue with those who collect him or share his cards on the board. There are plenty of terrible human beings who have their pictures on little pieces of cardboard. With that said won't ever own one of his cards, but that's my choice.

Bill

gabrinus 04-21-2022 11:30 AM

good hair

He had good hair...that covers up a lot of flaws in my book...Jerry

drcy 04-21-2022 01:24 PM

Part of collecting old baseball cards is collecting history, and history isn't full of just saints. In fact, history, baseball and baseball memorabilia wouldn't be interesting if it was full of just saints. Bad and imperfect people are interesting.

What one collects isn't necessarily a morality test. Anyone who collects gangster memorabilia (Al Capone, Lucky Luciano-- and I've had photos of both) is collecting "bad guys."

I suppose there might be baseball memorabilia collectors who collect only members of their party (Republican, Democrat), but I don't think most collectors think that or collect that way.

Thus, whatever your beliefs or position on racism, I don't think there's anything errant with buying a Cap Anson card or that buying an Anson card is a reflection of one's beliefs.

But, of course, to each his own.

GaryPassamonte 04-21-2022 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anson in 1877. He is at 3 o'clock.

BobbyStrawberry 04-21-2022 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 2217449)
Thus, whatever your beliefs or position on racism

Are there differing positions on racism on Net54? I would expect that all members are opposed to it.

I have no issue collecting Anson cards. People (past and present) are complex. If we all stopped collecting cards of figures who made bad decisions or whose views we disagree with, many collections would trimmed significantly.

Bpm0014 04-21-2022 02:49 PM

It appears Mr. Anson is your profile picture?

Haha. What a hypocrite!! :D:D:D

mrvster 04-21-2022 04:16 PM

Happy late

Bday:)

GasHouseGang 04-21-2022 04:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My only Anson.

drcy 04-21-2022 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2217464)
Are there differing positions on racism on Net54? I would expect that all members are opposed to it.

Beyond this forum, there are differentiations of racism, what is racism, and opinions on how to deal with it.

samosa4u 04-22-2022 07:39 AM

Cap Anson was a RACIST piece of trash! Those of you who collect him should be ASHAMED of yourselves!

Now, just send them all to me so I can ... um ... throw them in my fireplace! Yeah, that's right, throw them right in my fireplace and watch those suckers burn! Ahem* Cough* Cough*

Signed,

The colored guy

drcy 04-22-2022 04:48 PM

And send me you Babe Ruths! That man was no good. He drank on Sunday!

robertsmithnocure 04-22-2022 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 2216591)

Why do you have him as your avatar?

Isn’t the best 19th century card the N172 Old Judge Anson in Uniform?

Orioles1954 04-23-2022 06:27 AM

What differentiates Anson from Cobb, Chase and other “men of their times” is that only one was instrumental in a “gentleman’s agreement” that barred thousands of Black ball players and denied them a livelihood. These days we sometimes read of institutional racism and it doesn’t really mean much. However, a 60-year ban is exactly what Anson perpetuated hook, line and sinker.

GaryPassamonte 04-23-2022 06:47 AM

Anson surely played a role in segregating baseball, but there is a lot of blame falling on those who ran baseball for the next 60 years. Is Anson any worse than those who came after him?

BobbyStrawberry 04-23-2022 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 2217898)
These days we sometimes read of institutional racism and it doesn’t really mean much.

The fact that black men in the US are now allowed to do things they were previously prevented by white men from doing does not mean that institutional racism in the US no longer exists.

RUKen 04-23-2022 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 2217898)
What differentiates Anson from Cobb, Chase and other “men of their times” is that only one was instrumental in a “gentleman’s agreement” that barred thousands of Black ball players and denied them a livelihood. ...a 60-year ban is exactly what Anson perpetuated hook, line and sinker.

Anson was a player and team captain who refused to allow his team to play exhibition games against teams from other leagues who would put a black player on the field. Many professional ballplayers were bigots who would go out of their way to injure black players on opposing teams, but most did not have the financial security of Anson to refuse to play with or against a black man. The rules of organized baseball, written and unwritten, for league play were devised by executives and team owners, not players, who were generally powerless. There is little justification to pin the exclusion of African-Americans from organized baseball through the mid 1940s on Anson, who last played in 1897, last managed in 1898, and died in 1922.

jthorst75 04-23-2022 12:43 PM

So Anson was really really racist and more racist than other players and managers. Great, now that's out of the way can we get back to the cards? I enjoy seeing other people's cards, so if we can do that than we can move on and get back to why the thread was started in the first place. Any more cards of Anson anyone? Thanks

BobbyStrawberry 04-23-2022 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My only Anson card: