Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   eBay offering Authenticity Guarantee for $80 plus tax… (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=317433)

Eric72 03-30-2022 05:52 PM

eBay offering Authenticity Guarantee for $80 plus tax…

1 Attachment(s)
…on watches valued between $1,000 - $2,000. Foreshadowing of things to come?

Exhibitman 03-30-2022 05:55 PM

You betcha! And the next step will be eBay charging sellers a FVF on that fee too.

bnorth 03-30-2022 06:06 PM

On the up side it will give all the haters of the program an option to opt out by making it a service they charge for.

JustinD 03-30-2022 06:20 PM

Not trying to be bougie, but not many watches in the 1000-2000 window seem often faked. That’s a fairly inexpensive watch in the current lux market.

The most basic of these models are at least 5-6k, how much are they charging for those? Seems like they are marketing a high price for a nothing-burger window and I bet this ladders up fast when it really needed.

bnorth 03-30-2022 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2210451)
Not trying to be bougie, but not many watches in the 1000-2000 window seem often faked. That’s a fairly inexpensive watch in the current lux market.

The most basic of these models are at least 5-6k, how much are they charging for those? Seems like they are marketing a high price for a nothing-burger window and I bet this ladders up fast when it really needed.

Does seem like a weird price window as the authenticity guarantee is still free for more expensive watches.

todeen 03-30-2022 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2210451)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2210454)
Does seem like a weird price window as the authenticity guarantee is still free for more expensive watches.

I haven't looked lately, but older antique Rolex used to fall into that category. If I bought one on ebay and had to send it to Rolex b/c most jewelers refuse to look at them, it would cost more than $80. If the buyer says it runs, and Ebay says it's authentic, I would expect it to be in working order when it arrived.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Snowman 03-31-2022 06:04 AM

I'm not a watch guy, but I wonder if the labor involved in verifying one of these is authentic might be quite a bit more intensive than something like a baseball card? Does a watch expert know immediately if they're holding a fake? Obviously some fakes are super easy to detect, but some of the high end fakes, from what I'm told, can even fool a jeweler supposedly. I can identify pretty much any fake vintage card in a matter of seconds. I'm guessing if this service made it's way into cards that the fee would be much lower.

Yoda 03-31-2022 07:37 AM

Next must come authenticating body parts.

bnorth 03-31-2022 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2210516)
I'm not a watch guy, but I wonder if the labor involved in verifying one of these is authentic might be quite a bit more intensive than something like a baseball card? Does a watch expert know immediately if they're holding a fake? Obviously some fakes are super easy to detect, but some of the high end fakes, from what I'm told, can even fool a jeweler supposedly. I can identify pretty much any fake vintage card in a matter of seconds. I'm guessing if this service made it's way into cards that the fee would be much lower.

Most watches are like baseball cards. The fakes really stick out. The font is wrong, hands are stacked wrong, weight, engraving, it ticks like a Timex. Even the mid grade that look and feel real have cheap Chinese insides. The super high end fakes are fairly expensive really nice watches.

They do make fakes of cheaper watches. I was recently looking at a higher end Vostok and learned there are fakes out there. A higher end Vostok is a $1000 watch.

JustinD 03-31-2022 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2210516)

Most of the problems with high end is the minutia in verification as I have many watch collecting friends and value is not based nearly on authentic but originality. As the vintage Rolex mentioned would fall in this, it would be "authentic"... however the same authentic watch with a replacement face, bezel, hands or band would be a fraction of the value. I would love to know the depth these reports cover. The same parameters fall for every prize watch and why most buy used from certified dealers and not secondary rebuilders.

rjackson44 03-31-2022 09:03 AM

i own a submariner pepsi and a gold yachtmaster they were my dads,for $500 they make scary copies.a good jeweler can spot a fake in a second.

JustinD 03-31-2022 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjackson44 (Post 2210550)
i own a submariner pepsi and a gold yachtmaster they were my dads,for $500 they make scary copies.a good jeweler can spot a fake in a second.

Nice selection Octavio!

Had a vintage Root Beer on my "someday" list for a while, the Pepsi bezel is a perfect everyday wear if you are not a suit guy.

rjackson44 03-31-2022 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2210559)
Nice selection Octavio!

Had a vintage Root Beer on my "someday" list for a while, the Pepsi bezel is a perfect everyday wear if you are not a suit guy.

Hi justin the problem is you cant get these watches at rolex unless they know you . Anything stainless steele is impossible. Look at whats going on with omega swatch watch that just came out. Crazy look at ebay prices, folks want to be the first to have everything! It retails $260 nuts . Good luck with the rootbeer dont hold your breath octavio

JustinD 03-31-2022 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjackson44 (Post 2210573)
Hi justin the problem is you cant get these watches at rolex unless they know you . Anything stainless steele is impossible. Look at whats going on with omega swatch watch that just came out. Crazy look at ebay prices, folks want to be the first to have everything! It retails $260 nuts . Good luck with the rootbeer dont hold your breath octavio

The lucky part is I want no part of a new one unless its the Air King with green hand and text and that is definitely on the lower end (perspective wise). If I was to get a Root Beer it would only be vintage for the bezel fade. Maybe another few years before I get serious about looking.

Admittedly I did laugh at the prices I have seen on the Omega Swatches on sites like Stock X...1000 plus? Come on.

(Sorry to everyone else for having a watch chat on the main page, :) )

ASF123 03-31-2022 07:59 PM

I see the authenticity guarantee is at $350 for cards now, but it’s not clear from the FAQ exactly how it works. Does every card that ends at more than $350 get authenticated, or is it just listings that start off with the “Authenticity Guarantee” check mark?