Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PSA by the numbers (Jan 2022) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=315250)

samosa4u 02-14-2022 10:19 AM

PSA by the numbers (Jan 2022)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLQSSzxU...jpg&name=large

My thoughts:

- Basketball card prices have dropped like crazy since last year, and so it's surprising to see the sport still leading by a wide margin.

- Holy freaking Pokemon!

- Where the hell is hockey? :confused::confused:

- We are obviously in another "junk wax era." Once this comes to an end, will this order change? Will baseball end up back in first place or will it slip further?

Dead-Ball-Hitter 02-14-2022 10:41 AM

I agree. NBA Basketball (vintage and modern) has dipped, but is still the strongest by a mile in my opinion. Modern Football seems next to me, then vintage baseball. Apart from a few key rookies, I've never seen Hockey even "warm."

Brian Van Horn 02-14-2022 10:44 AM

Anybody wonder how many of these are resubmissions for auction purposes?

Peter_Spaeth 02-14-2022 11:46 AM

I have read their backlog is still …. wait for it... 6 million.

darwinbulldog 02-14-2022 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 2196786)

My thoughts:

- Basketball card prices have dropped like crazy since last year, and so it's surprising to see the sport still leading by a wide margin.

Until you realize those cards were sent in a year ago. (They have 14 of my cards that I sent in last March, including RCs of Shaq, Steve Nash, Ray Allen, Tim Duncan, and Dwyane Wade. Probably wouldn't have chosen to send any of them in at today's prices.)

doug.goodman 02-14-2022 12:01 PM

Serious question :

Does anybody have any idea how many opinion givers there are working at everybody's favorite opinion seller?

Smarti5051 02-14-2022 12:04 PM

The backlog is distorting the data IMHO. If you look at the Jan 2022 numbers, the VAST majority of those graded cards were submitted in late-Nov 2020 to January 2021 (I know this, because a Bulk Modern order I sent in early Jan 2021 is still in Grading, and everybody submitted in the same time frame is still waiting). It seems like they are moving faster on Bulk Ultra Modern and Bulk Non-sports (ie more graders dedicated to those categories).

Back in late-2020 and early-2021, NBA was definitely on fire, so when everybody was preparing submissions, I think almost anything BBall looked like a winner for the $12 grading fee.

chadeast 02-14-2022 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smarti5051 (Post 2196829)
The backlog is distorting the data IMHO. If you look at the Jan 2022 numbers, the VAST majority of those graded cards were submitted in late-Nov 2020 to January 2021 (I know this, because a Bulk Modern order I sent in early Jan 2021 is still in Grading, and everybody submitted in the same time frame is still waiting). It seems like they are moving faster on Bulk Ultra Modern and Bulk Non-sports (ie more graders dedicated to those categories).

Back in late-2020 and early-2021, NBA was definitely on fire, so when everybody was preparing submissions, I think almost anything BBall looked like a winner for the $12 grading fee.

The backlog IS the data. It is odd that PSA is tracking and reporting month-to-month variations like this, seemingly implying that these numbers mean something, as if there is a correlation to the current market when there is none. If they wanted to actually provide useful data, they'd have to break out the numbers only for cards submitted in the last few months.

parkplace33 02-14-2022 12:58 PM

Sorry, I am confused. Is there another post or article about PSA numbers?

Peter_Spaeth 02-14-2022 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadeast (Post 2196832)
The backlog IS the data. It is odd that PSA is tracking and reporting month-to-month variations like this, seemingly implying that these numbers mean something, as if there is a correlation to the current market when there is none. If they wanted to actually provide useful data, they'd have to break out the numbers only for cards submitted in the last few months.

Or just provide monthly submission data, which I don't believe they do.

BobC 02-14-2022 01:47 PM

It may just be that despite the backlog, they wanted to show their production/output is up, so that people didn't think they weren't trying to address the situation at all. But showing submission data wouldn't necessarily be helpful or overly relevant since they shut down a large part of their submissions last year, and are still operating on a restricted/reduced submission scale now. What would be relevant is to see what monthly submissions and subsequent grading output is once they are back to whatever their fully open and normalized submission status will finally be, and their long-term pricing going forward has been determined and put in place.

scooter729 02-14-2022 02:12 PM

Also interesting to see the surge in soccer. Soccer cards were an extremely small area of collecting just 7-8 years ago, and I have watched the surge in value of superstars, just like in our 4 main sports.

Pele, Maradona, Messi, etc. cards have reached astronomical prices, including a Pele rookie which just surpassed $1M! (This one hits too close to home for me - too soon to talk about it....) It really seemed to take off in parallel with basketball last year, but hasn't seen a dip in the same manner. And prices on eBay continue to show very strong results for soccer - I would expect the % of their business coming from soccer to continue to grow as these stats are shown in future months.

drcy 02-14-2022 02:55 PM

Read the related recent discussion on the PSA Board:

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...-for-the-hobby

BobbyStrawberry 02-14-2022 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2196821)
I have read their backlog is still …. wait for it... 6 million.

And they put out charts like this as if to say, "look what a great job we're doing for our customers!" 🤣

Rich Klein 02-15-2022 09:04 AM

I'm not as good as math as I should be nor do I have any way of saying this other than instinct but,...

for those who were hoping for $20-25 submission prices in 2022 think again. With the shows PSA will be setting up at (For example Long Beach this weekend) and the cards which are submitted from members of their club (not even counting group submissions) so.,.

It will be at least till January of 2023 if not later before we see some return to normalcy for PSA. At least we can guesstimate from all the information but that's just my supposition.

Rich

Dead-Ball-Hitter 02-15-2022 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2197087)
I'm not as good as math as I should be nor do I have any way of saying this other than instinct but,...

for those who were hoping for $20-25 submission prices in 2022 think again. With the shows PSA will be setting up at (For example Long Beach this weekend) and the cards which are submitted from members of their club (not even counting group submissions) so.,.

It will be at least till January of 2023 if not later before we see some return to normalcy for PSA. At least we can guesstimate from all the information but that's just my supposition.

Rich

Rich, no fears, I just reviewed a copy of PSA's strategy to reduce the backlog to SOP in 60 days. Here's the highlights:

-1 Install a random number generator that spits out grades on a PSA label by simply pulling down an arm, much like a slot machine. No review of the actual card will be needed. Statistics from the test showed that the grade output is within a single grade of a card graded by a trained professional 58% of the time - good enough for PSA!

-2 Hire a trained chimp named "Alfie" to box all shipments immediately after slabbing. His match up rate of customer-to-order is an astounding 44%, or about a 10% improvement over current processes.

-3 Eliminate the QA process. PSA customer polling reveals that most customers don't mind a stray hair or dust bunny being slabbed with their $5,000 card. Also, revenue is forecasted to increase 8%, given that many "picky" customers will pay for a reslab.

What an amazing business plan PSA!!! Thank God Joe Orlando "retired." Now you can really get some things done!

Johnny630 02-15-2022 12:34 PM

This shows that PSA is dominating. No other TPG is close in their profits it's amazing!

Ronnie73 02-17-2022 12:02 PM

There's a guy on YouTube that follows the actual population numbers each week for all the categories and gives you a grand total also. His YouTube name is Retro Hoop Collectibles. Those numbers are more accurate.

JollyElm 02-17-2022 03:42 PM

Nothing matters until we finally get our godd*mn 'Swinging Sixties' group sub back. It's gotten to the point where we had to give Bobby our next of kin info, because some of us will no longer be alive when the cards are returned.

doug.goodman 02-17-2022 05:03 PM

I know that you all consider me "snarky anti grader guy", and I won't deny it, but..

Serious question :

Does anybody have any idea how many opinion givers work at everybody's favorite opinion seller?

You guys talk about hundreds of thousands if not millions of slabs, isn't anybody curious about the time spent on an individual card? Time that changes the value of the card exponentially?

Doug

Tyruscobb 02-17-2022 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2197781)
Nothing matters until we finally get our godd*mn 'Swinging Sixties' group sub back. It's gotten to the point where we had to give Bobby our next of kin info, because some of us will no longer be alive when the cards are returned.

My blood boiled when I learned PSA is performing in-person grading at certain shows. The national is one thing, but PSA has had our cards almost a year now, and some jack wagon at a regional show, willing to pay a highway robbery amount, jumps ahead of us all.

Shows how much PSA cares about the backlogged customers. The $15.00 a card, true-collector, guy continue waiting while the ultra modern $150.00 a card flipper gets ushered to the front of the line. PSA is probably grading cards at these regional shows that were manufactured and printed after it received our submission. Think about that!

doug.goodman 02-17-2022 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyruscobb (Post 2197805)
My blood boiled when I learned PSA is performing in-person grading at certain shows. The national is one thing, but PSA has had our cards almost a year now, and some jack wagon at a regional show, willing to pay a highway robbery amount, jumps ahead of us all.

Shows how much PSA cares about the backlogged customers. The $15.00 a card, true-collector, guy continue waiting while the ultra modern $150.00 a card flipper gets ushered to the front of the line. PSA is probably grading cards at these regional shows that were manufactured and printed after it received our submission. Think about that!

Hahaha, they don't give a shit about "true collectors", at the very best they care about $15 true-collector guy one tenth as much as they care about $150 card flipper guy.

BobbyStrawberry 02-17-2022 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2197800)
Does anybody have any idea how many opinion givers work at everybody's favorite opinion seller?

Not enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2197800)
isn't anybody curious about the time spent on an individual card? Time that changes the value of the card exponentially?

20-60 seconds would be my guess.

Johnny630 02-17-2022 08:33 PM

The Lottery Ticket Affect is Real….never down play that fact.

JollyElm 02-17-2022 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyruscobb (Post 2197805)
PSA is probably grading cards at these regional shows that were manufactured and printed after it received our submission. Think about that!

Mind forever blown. Thanks for that.