Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Collector Nerds (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=309281)

ooo-ribay 10-18-2021 06:29 PM

Collector Nerds

Has anyone else noticed most of the highest bid items in any Hakes Auction are either Pokémon or Star Wars? I don’t get it. Comic books I can kind of understand but not Pokémon or Star Wars. Any nerds here?

Seven 10-18-2021 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2155128)
Has anyone else noticed most of the highest bid items in any Hakes Auction are either Pokémon or Star Wars? I don’t get it. Comic books I can kind of understand but not Pokémon or Star Wars. Any nerds here?

So I think this has a lot to do with the "New Money" that has entered the fold, at least on the side of Pokemon. You have to realize a lot of the younger, new collectors grew up with Pokemon. It was massively popular for two generations of children. Between the games and the TV show, and all the other forms of media. Some of the cards from the original 1st edition set, or the set with "shadowless" holographic cards are exceedingly rare. For an example there are only 54 PSA 10 Shadowless Charizard cards. So the rarity, plus the age of the new money, plus the fact that most of these younger people do not know the scandals that have gone on with the Grading companies, equals big bucks.

Star Wars has always been popular, and has grown with the recent movies (regardless how bad they are) along with all the new TV shows either produced or being produced, so it does not surprise me.

ooo-ribay 10-19-2021 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven (Post 2155144)
So I think this has a lot to do with the "New Money" that has entered the fold, at least on the side of Pokemon. You have to realize a lot of the younger, new collectors grew up with Pokemon. It was massively popular for two generations of children. Between the games and the TV show, and all the other forms of media. Some of the cards from the original 1st edition set, or the set with "shadowless" holographic cards are exceedingly rare. For an example there are only 54 PSA 10 Shadowless Charizard cards. So the rarity, plus the age of the new money, plus the fact that most of these younger people do not know the scandals that have gone on with the Grading companies, equals big bucks.

Star Wars has always been popular, and has grown with the recent movies (regardless how bad they are) along with all the new TV shows either produced or being produced, so it does not surprise me.

Great points. I see it as intentional “rarity” and, thus, different from the old stuff most of us are after (whether it be cards or memorabilia). I also don’t “get” the astronomical prices paid for these new fangled “refractors”, or whatever, of Trout, Brady, etc. In my mind, stuff made to be “collectible” usually busts in the future.

bocca001 10-19-2021 06:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Not sure what is selling in Hake's, but, yeah, Star Wars has always been collectible for those of us who are a certain age, although some of it has really taken off lately (e.g., unopened wax).

I have Star Wars stuff mixed with sports stuff. And just picked up the Empire Strikes Back sticker sheet (now framed).

If my kids (now 12 and 14) ever collect cards when they are older, it is going to be Pokemon, because.... that's all I ever see kids buying.

SAllen2556 10-19-2021 07:05 AM

Boba Fett action figure: $4950
1953 Topps Mickey Mantle signed card: $4000

I don't get it either. My son is 26 and had Pokemon cards when they first came out. He actually was embarrassed to know that they were still in our house because I never threw them out. Kids his age don't seem to be into "stuff". They move around a lot more than we did and seem to enjoy being able to fit all their worldly possessions in the back of a 20-year old Subaru. They really like dogs though. Maybe it's the 30-year olds still living in their mother's basements who are collecting all this crap. I don't know.

But, honestly, if I made a list of all the things I don't understand anymore it would fill a book. The Pokemon phenomenon would certainly be on the list - along with people who drink beer with fruit in it, tik-tok, people who drive in the left lane on the freeway when they aren't passing anybody, and on and on.

GoCubsGo32 10-19-2021 08:07 AM

Nerd here. I collect both Star Wars & Pokemon.

Star Wars has always been a popular item to collection but, even more so after Disney acquired LucasFilm. It helped attract new collectors & keep the old school collectors around.

Pokemon is very nostalgic for my age group (mid 30s). I started playing/collecting Pokemon when it first came out in the late 90's as a kid. Much like trading baseball cards it was fun to trade cards with fellow classmates & friends at school, around the neighborhood, the mall etc.....tons of great memories! That original targeted age group is all grown up now. Having their kids interested in the new Pokemon franchise reengaged them back to the franchise...so it's cool to see the franchise has survived that long.

jb217676 10-19-2021 08:33 AM

I'm a proud nerd...

https://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=290515

murphusa 10-19-2021 11:57 AM

collect

all baseball except cards

Star Wars

Records

50's 60's Toys

Music, LP's, cassette's

Rock Posters

Irish Whiskey

Bourbon

Surf Boards

LEHR 10-19-2021 01:01 PM

Nerd here.
Star Wars was the first movie I ever saw at the local drive-in as a 4 year old and I was instantly obsessed with anything and everything star wars through about '85. I still watch the new movies but I only collect stuff from the original trilogy. I also collect/dabble in vintage toys, movie posters, Halloween, coin-op, and pop culture, as well as baseball.

ooo-ribay 10-19-2021 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb217676 (Post 2155284)

HO-LEE CRAP!!! :eek:

So, I would assume you guys are familiar with some of the prices Hakes is pulling in? There's some serious nerd money out there! :p

mrreality68 10-19-2021 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2155414)
HO-LEE CRAP!!! :eek:

So, I would assume you guys are familiar with some of the prices Hakes is pulling in? There's some serious nerd money out there! :p

Agreed it is amazing the money out there in that area of collectibles.

IT is also amazing how many different areas and hobbies there are that are collectibles or investibles

ooo-ribay 10-19-2021 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphusa (Post 2155354)
collect

all baseball except cards

Star Wars

Records

50's 60's Toys

Music, LP's, cassette's

Rock Posters

Irish Whiskey

Bourbon

Surf Boards

I love it, especially the bolded. Aren't surfboards a little hard to ship and display?

One of my two best Giants collector buddies collects:

SF Giants

Lionel Trains

Tom & Jerry

Soakys bubble bath bottles

Civil War

Dennis the Menace

Smokey the Bear

Hamm's Beer

...but no "nerd stuff." :cool:

murphusa 10-20-2021 07:08 AM

I have a house in a shore town so no need to send or receive the surfboards

Limits also on the whiskey through the mail

Schlesinj 10-21-2021 10:29 AM

I stopped in to Hake’s yesterday (very nice people) to preview a few items. They have a great office with toys, posters etc all over the place. The one gentleman I was talking to was coordinating the Captain America shield to be previewed at the comic show in Baltimore. As I left, I was kicking myself to ask if I can try it on.

ooo-ribay 10-21-2021 01:22 PM

^^^ that would have been a very nerd thing to do. :p

Bigdaddy 10-21-2021 01:53 PM

Personally, I don't think we as a group have any standing to declare any other collectors as 'nerds'.

Sorry, not sorry.

ooo-ribay 10-21-2021 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 2155950)
Personally, I don't think we as a group have any standing to declare any other collectors as 'nerds'.

Sorry, not sorry.

I say it with love.