Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fakes ? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=306745)

cannonballsun 08-20-2021 11:14 AM

Fakes ?

Check out this seller on eBay : quality.cardboard. He says since he buys all his cards raw, he can't guarantee authenticity, but he only buys from reputable sellers. This leads the buyer to think his stuff, at least, could be real.
In his completed listings, he just sold 5 T206 Honus Wagners. It must have been the find of the century. He also sold 2 Goudey Ruth's for $3600. There are many other items like this, all going for substantial amounts of money.
I did just report him to eBay. Does this qualify as OK by eBay rules ? He says he can't say the cards are real, but then leads you to believe they are real.
It is amazing that people would buy extremely suspicious cards for so much money.

Rhotchkiss 08-20-2021 11:18 AM

Anyone buying t206 Wagners from this guy deserves to lose money. Clearly, scamming people is not cool. But sometimes those being scammed bear some responsibility - this is one of those times

Leon 08-20-2021 11:21 AM

I think we have had this discussion recently :)

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=306655

Quote:

Originally Posted by cannonballsun (Post 2136249)
Check out this seller on eBay : quality.cardboard. He says since he buys all his cards raw, he can't guarantee authenticity, but he only buys from reputable sellers. This leads the buyer to think his stuff, at least, could be real.
In his completed listings, he just sold 5 T206 Honus Wagners. It must have been the find of the century. He also sold 2 Goudey Ruth's for $3600. There are many other items like this, all going for substantial amounts of money.
I did just report him to eBay. Does this qualify as OK by eBay rules ? He says he can't say the cards are real, but then leads you to believe they are real.
It is amazing that people would buy extremely suspicious cards for so much money.

cannonballsun 08-20-2021 11:27 AM

Thanks, Leon. I didn't notice the prior post.

drcy 08-20-2021 12:19 PM

" he can't guarantee authenticity, but he only buys from reputable sellers"

Can't be very reputable sellers if he can't guarantee authenticity

Tabe 08-20-2021 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cannonballsun (Post 2136249)

To answer your question, no, this is not OK. It's specifically against Ebay's rules to say you can't verify an item's authenticity. It's also against their rules to sell something "as a reprint" because you're "not sure".

It's also specifically against Ebay's rules to sell T-206 Wagners that aren't graded - unless they're reprints.

While I'm sure of the buyers are just victims, most are just people looking for "quality" reprints that they can then pass on to someone else as authentic.

cannonballsun 08-20-2021 01:00 PM

Your thought is very interesting - some buyers of these cards may be scammers themselves, looking for good reprints to sell as real. I didn't think about that. But some of the sale prices were really pretty high. A scammer can get reprints to resell at much lower prices than these.
So I would think most buyers were real buyers who were duped. Also true though, if you know anything about collecting baseball cards, you wouldn't buy these cards.