Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sad News Folks sorry Long Time Collector Fred Roniger (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=293456)

danmckee 12-16-2020 08:49 AM

Sad News Folks sorry Long Time Collector Fred Roniger

I have dealt with Fred for years, he is an oldtimer collector out of St. Louis. He resides in Oregon now. He recently purchased my 1953 Hunter's Meats Near set off ebay and when I saw a return request pop up 10 days later, I knew something was off.

I called and his wife said he was close to the end and my box hadn't even been opened. So sad indeed. Fred is a TRUE COLLECTOR.

Prayers and Best Thoughts for the Roniger family please.

Dan Mckee

Casey2296 12-16-2020 08:58 AM

Thoughts and prayers Dan.

bobbyw8469 12-16-2020 09:08 AM

That's sad....he was in the game up to the end.

Leon 12-16-2020 09:12 AM

Sorry to hear that. Always sad to hear about old time collectors going, or getting ready to go, to the great collection in the sky. Prayers to the family and friends...

oaks1912 12-16-2020 09:23 AM

Very sorry to hear Dan. I only met Fred about a decade or so back when he moved to Oregon. He attended and set up at the annual Washington State shows. We enjoyed some great conversations. Definitely a good guy

Hankphenom 12-16-2020 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2046053)
Sorry to hear that. Always sad to hear about old time collectors going, or getting ready to go, to the great collection in the sky. Prayers to the family and friends...

So sorry to hear that, Danny, it's a shame he didn't get to open the box and see them before he passed. All of our collections will come to an end some day, though, not a bad thing to keep in mind for those of us lucky enough to still be opening our boxes.

oldeboo 12-16-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2046060)
So sorry to hear that, Danny, it's a shame he didn't get to open the box and see them before he passed. All of our collections will come to an end some day, though, not a bad thing to keep in mind for those of us lucky enough to still be opening our boxes.

As I've read on here before, these cards don't belong to us, we are just caretakers holding onto them for a little while. Thoughts for Fred and those that knew him.

danmckee 12-16-2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldeboo (Post 2046075)
As I've read on here before, these cards don't belong to us, we are just caretakers holding onto them for a little while. Thoughts for Fred and those that knew him.

That is the one thing my dad said to me that allowed me to sell my 1894 Baltimore Orioles Photo Engraving set!

He said "son, you know you are only a temporary custodian of those cards, they are going to outlast you by far"

Miss you Pops!

Dan Mckee

danmckee 12-16-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2046060)

Yes I thought the same thing Hank! Would have brought him some last minute joy to see them!

conor912 12-16-2020 02:53 PM

Wow. This is really crappy to hear. Seeing Fred was always one of the bright spots of the WSSCA shows. He was a character and always fun to talk to. He was a good guy and an old school collector.... cards in rubber bands, etc., and put together an awesome collection. He’ll be missed for sure.

familytoad 12-16-2020 09:39 PM

On stage

Fred is a cool guy, I was always pleased to see him at the WSSCA show.
He always had interesting offerings on his table, stuff he just had extras of.
I always felt as though he was a collector first and a seller only so he collect more.
He loved the Cardinals!

I’ve got quite a few cards that originated from his table “on the stage “ at the Meridian school. He occupied that spot for a long time.

I’m sad to hear about this. His family should know that he was well respected in the hobby community!

cardinalcollector 12-23-2020 08:24 AM

I am very sad to hear of Fred's passing. Fred was the first president of the St. Louis Sports Collectors group in the mid 1970s. The early St. Louis card shows were held at the Holiday Inn in Edwardsville, Ill. I was 14-15 years old at the time and Fred was very kind to me. I also got to know Buck Barker very well at these early shows. I had dealt with Fred as recently as 2 years ago, selling him some rare 1953 B&W Cardinal photos from a presentation album. He was as true a collector as there is. RIP Fred.

Rrrlyons 12-23-2020 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Loved to buy things from Fred. He always had lots of oddball stuff for sell. I bought these hunter meats cards from him several years ago. He always had his cardinals jacket on up on the stage at the show. Super nice guy enjoyed talking to him. I got most of my Glendale hot dogs from him.
Rick

seattlerainiers 12-23-2020 06:04 PM

Sad news indeed

Fred was a great guy. Always friendly, a pleasure to deal with, and throwing off good vibes.
He’ll be missed for sure.

glynparson 12-23-2020 06:19 PM

Sad news I can picture the cardinals jacket.