Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Is this Ruth real? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=283624)

bdotson1984 05-24-2020 05:48 AM

Is this Ruth real?

1 Attachment(s)
I recently picked this one up. Now I have my doubts after reading Hall of Fame autographs reference guide, which said 99% of certified Ruth’s are fakes. So I’m turning to other collectors on this one.

So what is everyone’s opinion on this?

BeanTown 05-24-2020 06:06 PM

Wish I could help. I don't collect autographs for this very reason. The Unknown and that includes grading company opinions. I heard from a FBI source years ago that over 80 percent of autos are fake. Some of these forgery guys are so good it would fool anyone. I think there was a piece on 60 minutes about one guy who would sign Babe Ruth and many others infront of the camera and fool everyone. With all that being said, Babe Ruth was fan friendly and signed a ton of stuff. To me the Ruth looks like all the other Ruths Ive seen. Id actually like to see a bad looking Ruth auto, as they all seem perfect.

ruth-gehrig 05-24-2020 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanTown (Post 1983910)
Wish I could help. I don't collect autographs for this very reason. The Unknown and that includes grading company opinions. I heard from a FBI source years ago that over 80 percent of autos are fake. Some of these forgery guys are so good it would fool anyone. I think there was a piece on 60 minutes about one guy who would sign Babe Ruth and many others infront of the camera and fool everyone. With all that being said, Babe Ruth was fan friendly and signed a ton of stuff. To me the Ruth looks like all the other Ruths Ive seen. Id actually like to see a bad looking Ruth auto, as they all seem perfect.

This one "bad" enough?

todeen 05-24-2020 07:49 PM

My opinion is no, it's not real. Something I've seen from other posts asking for authenticity is about the aging of the paper beneath the signature. You can easily see all of the creases and wrinkles, yet they don't appear to have affected the signature in any way. So then it seems that someone asked Babe to sign a piece of paper that was already in horrible shape.

What I would say is that someone recently aged the paper and then forged Babe's signature over all of the creases. There are experts on this board that I would hope chime in their opinion, but just based on the signature not being affected by wrinkles and creases, I would assume its fake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

todeen 05-24-2020 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 1983919)
This one "bad" enough?

Wow! Who authenticated that? What was the provenance that went along with the auto? It looks ugly!

bdotson1984 05-25-2020 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdotson1984 (Post 1983673)
I recently picked this one up. Now I have my doubts after reading Hall of Fame autographs reference guide, which said 99% of certified Ruth’s are fakes. So I’m turning to other collectors on this one.

So what is everyone’s opinion on this?

PSA actually certed this, and Beckett quick review passed it. Wanted the opinions of other collectors

ruth-gehrig 05-25-2020 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 1983946)
Wow! Who authenticated that? What was the provenance that went along with the auto? It looks ugly!

Authenticated by James Spence.

todeen 05-25-2020 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 1984236)
Authenticated by James Spence.

I wonder if it was cut from a document? Or ruth was drunk when he signed it? Or if ruth really had a secretary sign all of his nice beautiful autos and his handwriting was actually pish posh.

Caseyatbat 05-25-2020 06:32 PM

I think it looks very authentic!

Bpm0014 05-25-2020 06:35 PM

The autograph in question is without doubt real. Now I can’t see it in hand. Maybe it was photocopied on old paper. But I doubt it. As long as you can see the ink, pressure, indenture, etc then it is real. I would buy it for certain.

bdotson1984 05-25-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 1984258)
The autograph in question is without doubt real. Now I can’t see it in hand. Maybe it was photocopied on old paper. But I doubt it. As long as you can see the ink, pressure, indenture, etc then it is real. I would buy it for certain.

Thanks for the feedback

I paid $3850 for it

Bpm0014 05-26-2020 07:52 AM

I paid $3850 for it

Probably a little on the high end of the scale, but a great looking authentic autograph!

bdotson1984 05-26-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 1984354)
I paid $3850 for it

Probably a little on the high end of the scale, but a great looking authentic autograph!

Ruth’s prices are getting a bit high at this moment. I bid on several at Heritage auctions and Goldin. Most were going for $4000-$4500, then BP and tax.

I wanted a no doubter though, and I thought this was very strong autograph so I pounced