Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Friends of Teddy Ballgame (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=257827)

Yoda 07-23-2018 08:55 AM

Friends of Teddy Ballgame

Just a head's up: Tonight on PBS' series 'American Maters' is an hour long program on the life and times of Ted Williams, featuring Bob Costas, Wade Boggs and many others sharing their memories of Ted. Should be worth watching.

bnorth 07-23-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1797279)
Just a head's up: Tonight on PBS' series 'American Maters' is an hour long program on the life and times of Ted Williams, featuring Bob Costas, Wade Boggs and many others sharing their memories of Ted. Should be worth watching.

AWESOME!!! Thanks for posting this.

ctownboy 07-23-2018 12:21 PM

"American Maters". Are they going to talk about Ted's sex life? :)

David

AGuinness 07-23-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctownboy (Post 1797338)
"American Maters". Are they going to talk about Ted's sex life? :)

David

Or they're not covering his baseball career, time in the military, fishing prowess or the like, they're just focusing on his chess game skills...

Thanks for the heads-up!

emmygirl 07-23-2018 01:04 PM

Ted on PBS

I'm looking forward to this program also. However, after reading a review in our local newspaper on the show it looks like a lot of the content will be about Ted's mothers' Mexican American heritage and how Ted was somewhat embarrassed by it during his early years. Didn't want to share it with his teammates and close friends. I'm sure the program will enlighten us to Ted's reasons. Also will have lots of new film and photo discoveries. Should be fun. Always been a Ted fan, I'm 73 and grew up in Boston area.

the 'stache 07-23-2018 02:57 PM

I just came here to post about the documentary tonight. Thank you, Yoda.

DVR is set! I wonder how it will match up against HBO's Legends & Legacies Ted Williams doc. That is the best out there right now, imo.

marzoumanian 07-23-2018 04:56 PM

Today's New York Times

Also, today's NYT has a great piece about the 19-year old Murphy who attended Williams' last game on 9/28/60 and brought his COLOR film camera. He paid $2 for his ticket and walked all around Fenway that day, filming the game, including, of course, Ted's last HR. Take care.

the 'stache 07-23-2018 05:26 PM

Link to the article.

Leon 07-24-2018 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1797426)
Link to the article.

Thats is a great clip. As a left handed batter (playing a doubleheader this evening) I can always take a few tips from Teddy's swing. That home run he hit at the end, he just coiled on and ripped it out of the park. What a swing!!

Peter_Spaeth 07-24-2018 01:22 PM

I thought the best scene was Ted in his wheelchair at the 1999 AS Game, surrounded by the stars of the sport who looked for all the world like little kids in a candy store. Another "baseball, Ray" moment for sure.

bnorth 07-24-2018 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1797392)
I just came here to post about the documentary tonight. Thank you, Yoda.

DVR is set! I wonder how it will match up against HBO's Legends & Legacies Ted Williams doc. That is the best out there right now, imo.

That is an awesome documentary. Thanks for posting the link.:)

Hopefully I will get the PBS one watched tonight.

ullmandds 07-24-2018 01:27 PM

anyone who saw the special last night...the footage when ted williams hit the homer in the all star game I believe...where he was clapping and dancing around the bases...at the end when he crosses home plate it appears he high fives a yankee and holds on and pulls him...was this joe d????

Peter_Spaeth 07-24-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1797646)
anyone who saw the special last night...the footage when ted williams hit the homer in the all star game I believe...where he was clapping and dancing around the bases...at the end when he crosses home plate it appears he high fives a yankee and holds on and pulls him...was this joe d????

Yes I have seen pictures where Joe D. is greeting him at the plate.