Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What would u do? (Bidding strategies) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=253178)

hshrimps 03-29-2018 01:57 PM

What would u do? (Bidding strategies)

I am trying to figure out what would u do if.....

You are building a 2nd T206 Cobb back runs and a 2nd Cobb BL460 just surface to the market. However, it is well known that someone has been buying one-of-one backs and building a T206 master set. This rich collector has a much deeper pocket and willing to pay whatever it take to own this Cobb BL460.

A, I will not bid heavily since I know I won't win and I don't want to bid too much to "inflate" the price in case a 3rd specimen come up in the future, so that it won't set an inflated price as a market value for the 3rd specimen.

B, I know that rich collector wants the card so bad, I will keep on bidding and make him pay an insane amount.

C, My budget is just $X and that's my max bid.

<<< I personally would go for A >>>>

glchen 03-29-2018 02:13 PM

C. You never know how auctions go. Sometimes ppl forget to bid on auction day as other things come up (e.g,. they are on vacation), and you may win an item you never thought you would.

Vegas-guy 03-29-2018 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hshrimps (Post 1762417)

You are building a 2nd T206 Cobb back runs and a 2nd Cobb BL460 just surface to the market. However, it is well known that someone has been buying one-of-one backs and building a T206 master set. This rich collector has a much deeper pocket and willing to pay whatever it take to own this Cobb BL460.

A, I will not bid heavily since I know I won't win and I don't want to bid too much to "inflate" the price in case a 3rd specimen come up in the future, so that it won't set an inflated price as a market value for the 3rd specimen.

B, I know that rich collector wants the card so bad, I will keep on bidding and make him pay an insane amount.

I would bid as much as I was willing to pay for it and not worry about anyone else. If it goes past my "max" bid then it wasn't meant to be. Pockets are only so deep and "someone" will always have deeper pockets.

Jenx34 03-29-2018 02:15 PM

I would look at A & C both being viable options, but I would lean toward C. You never know if the rich collector has had something come up financially or personally that would keep him from bidding to the end. What you don't want is to lay off expecting him to get it, then find out he didn't and someone else jumps in. Then you may have to compete with him for the next one. If you are willing to bid $XX I saw go for it. Whether you wait until last minute or throw it out early is your call.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hshrimps (Post 1762417)

Rich Falvo 03-29-2018 02:16 PM

C

I wouldn't overthink it. If you want the card, bid your max.

RedsFan1941 03-29-2018 02:16 PM

D. post on a message board as many distracting things as i could about the card to hopefully keep down the price.

x2drich2000 03-29-2018 02:17 PM

I would do c just in the off chance the wealthy collector doesn't see it :rolleyes: or perhaps already has a raw copy no one knows about or ???. There is also the chance the next copy will be nicer and command an even higher price. Also, given the example, I think it would be unlikely that you are the only 2 interested, so your dropping out may not have much influence in the final price. If it was a more obscure issue, I might change to A.

DJ

Sean 03-29-2018 02:25 PM

I would go for A.

Make a qualifying bid so that you can jump back in, then wait and see how the bidding is going. Unless you really think you have a chance, don't drive up the price.

hshrimps 03-29-2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1762429)
I would go for A.

Make a qualifying bid so that you can jump back in, then wait and see how the bidding is going. Unless you really think you have a chance, don't drive up the price.

+1

T206Collector 03-29-2018 02:40 PM

C

I usually spend my time trying to think about the timing of my max bid.

WWG 03-29-2018 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Collector (Post 1762432)
C

I usually spend my time trying to think about the timing of my max bid.

We all feel that dilemma. Should I make my max bid just before regular bidding ends or take my chances in the extended bidding session? :rolleyes:

bensie 03-29-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegas-guy (Post 1762421)
I would bid as much as I was willing to pay for it and not worry about anyone else. If it goes past my "max" bid then it wasn't meant to be. Pockets are only so deep and "someone" will always have deeper pockets.

This is my strategy. I don't try timing my bids or anticipating what others are doing. When I see a card I like, I put in the max I'm willing to spend, and then I forget about it until I either get an 'outbid' email or an invoice.

mechanicalman 03-29-2018 03:57 PM

You were sad that REA doesn't have a Honus Wagner for you, so I'd save your money for the next one in Goldin.

BearBailey 03-29-2018 04:00 PM

C.

MVSNYC 03-29-2018 04:04 PM

A
B
C

...Always Be Closing.

JollyElm 03-29-2018 04:21 PM

For reality, just find your max and put it in at the right time. But...to have some fun at the expense of the rich guy, rub your hands together in a sinister fashion and 'hate-bid' (TM pending) him waaaaaaay up!!!! :cool:

Rhotchkiss 03-29-2018 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanicalman (Post 1762455)
E. You were sad that REA doesn't have a Honus Wagner for you, so I'd save your money for the next one in Goldin.

Is Goldin really having a Wagner?

bauce 03-29-2018 04:53 PM

C. However, I would bid $1 higher than the current bid just to be "in" even though I will probably get beat. I will check later on, maybe 24 hours before the bidding ends and see how far up it has gone. If there was little movement, I will place my max bid. If the bidding has gone higher than what I intended for a max bid, I move on.

commishbob 03-29-2018 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1762457)
A
B
C

...Always Be Closing.

GGGR reference FTW.

I’m retired and stick to a hobby budget. My auction strategy is always the same. If I see something that I want to bid on I set my price and then an alarm for the morning of the closing day. If the item is still attainable that last day I bid. My reason for waiting is to avoid being ‘locked in’ to an item when it’s possible that an unexpected expense might arise in the meantime . It’s a hobby for me after all, not a business.

BruceinGa 03-30-2018 08:31 AM

C-When I see a card I would like to own on eBay, I snipe it and that's as high as I will go.

vintagerookies51 03-30-2018 08:34 AM

C. I don’t know who’s bidding on what. Never know what you might win

oldjudge 03-30-2018 09:07 AM

What happened to the OP; I see "Banned" next to his name?

Leon 03-30-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1762645)
What happened to the OP; I see "Banned" next to his name?

He got banned.

oldjudge 03-30-2018 10:02 AM

What was the offense?

Leon 03-30-2018 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1762668)
What was the offense?

Bad phone number, name etc... on registration. They get through the large cracks in the little defense we have. I guess he wasn't who we thought he was. Maybe he doesn't like himself, was banned previously....I dunno :confused: I think they call them alts.

Sean 03-30-2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1762668)
What was the offense?

It did seem to come out of nowhere. :confused:

Okay, now I've read the explanation.

Leon 03-30-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1762676)
It did seem to come out of nowhere. :confused:

Okay, now I've read the explanation.

There was quite a bit behind it, trust me. Banning really is the last thing I/we like to do. But being completely anonymous, and giving incorrect information on registration to do it, is always grounds for immediate banning. It's just too bad it took so long.

mechanicalman 03-30-2018 12:23 PM

I kind of thought "Henry Shrimps" sounded more like a character in a Dickens' novel.

Leon 03-30-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanicalman (Post 1762733)
I kind of thought "Henry Shrimps" sounded more like a character in a Dickens' novel.

It reminded me of Forest Gump for some reason....Shrimps sandwich, Shrimps gumbo, shrimps stew.....

njdunkin1 03-30-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1762766)
It reminded me of Forest Gump for some reason....Shrimps sandwich, Shrimps gumbo, shrimps stew.....

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2Sqc3...r8SQ/giphy.gif

Gradedcardman 03-30-2018 03:45 PM

Always

Always a C for me !!

JollyElm 03-30-2018 04:00 PM

Wait...you mean Mr. Shrimps was dead the entire time?? What a twist ending.