Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Member (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249378)

NYYFan63 12-28-2017 09:40 AM

I came across the Net54baseball forum about two weeks ago. I was searching for any info on the now infamous war_eagle_vintage as I had learned there was potential fraud on the cards he was selling on eBay. I had purchased two Willie Mays cards (1958 & 1960) ungraded. What I learned from this site, i succesfully returned and was refunded for the two cards. I returned them as I am no expert on whether cards have been trimmed or not and did not want to be a victim of his fraud.

I got back into card collecting in July 2017 after having collected as a kid as well as in the late 80’s for a short period of time. I got back into the hobby after seeing on Twitter that a Mike Trout RC went for some $35,000+ in an auction. My neighbor is a card collector and I got to talking with him about it. I learned that you can buy baseball cards on eBay...what a concept....haha. It has been non-stop ever since. I started buying a lot of Aaron Judge cards as I am a Yankee fan, some Seaver, Ryan, Mays, etc. In talking with my neighbor, going to shows, buying and selling on eBay, etc, I learned very quickly that the vintage cards hold their value as well as tend to increase in value over time.

I also learned from this forum that many are collectors of the T206 cards. I purchased my first T206 card last week - 1909-11 T206 Piedmont Addie Joss Portrait 60 EX 5. I had never heard of him and saw that he was a HOF’r so I looked up his stats. He pitched only 9 years, started 260 games and completed 234 with an ERA < 2 and a WHIP < 1!!!!! Amazing! I am sure many of you know that already but I was just amazed at these stats.

I am looking forward to being more active on the board as well as B,S,T with you all as well.

Rob

gemmint77 12-28-2017 09:48 AM

Welcome!!

Leon 12-28-2017 10:10 AM

Welcome to the forum. You aren't the first one to find us while investigating a bad ebayer. Happy Collecting!!

DeanH3 12-28-2017 10:25 AM

Welcome! Once you start down that dark T206 hole, there's no turning back. :D

bn2cardz 12-28-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYYFan63 (Post 1733404)
I came across the Net54baseball forum about two weeks ago. I was searching for any info on the now infamous war_eagle_vintage as I had learned there was potential fraud on the cards he was selling on eBay. I had purchased two Willie Mays cards (1958 & 1960) ungraded. What I learned from this site, i succesfully returned and was refunded for the two cards. I returned them as I am no expert on whether cards have been trimmed or not and did not want to be a victim of his fraud.

I got back into card collecting in July 2017 after having collected as a kid as well as in the late 80’s for a short period of time. I got back into the hobby after seeing on Twitter that a Mike Trout RC went for some $35,000+ in an auction. My neighbor is a card collector and I got to talking with him about it. I learned that you can buy baseball cards on eBay...what a concept....haha. It has been non-stop ever since. I started buying a lot of Aaron Judge cards as I am a Yankee fan, some Seaver, Ryan, Mays, etc. In talking with my neighbor, going to shows, buying and selling on eBay, etc, I learned very quickly that the vintage cards hold their value as well as tend to increase in value over time.

I also learned from this forum that many are collectors of the T206 cards. I purchased my first T206 card last week - 1909-11 T206 Piedmont Addie Joss Portrait 60 EX 5. I had never heard of him and saw that he was a HOF’r so I looked up his stats. He pitched only 9 years, started 260 games and completed 234 with an ERA < 2 and a WHIP < 1!!!!! Amazing! I am sure many of you know that already but I was just amazed at these stats.

I am looking forward to being more active on the board as well as B,S,T with you all as well.

Rob

Welcome. I don't know how far you made it in your Joss research to see why he only had 9 years and was still eligible for the HOF (HOF requires minimum of 10 years). If you hadn't let me add to your research.

Joss died April 14, 1911 prematurely at the age of 31. The HOF made an exception for his 9 years because they believed had he been able to play on he would still have been a HOF and he was under contract for the 1911 season marking his 10th season.

NYYFan63 12-28-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bn2cardz (Post 1733422)
Welcome. I don't know how far you made it in your Joss research to see why he only had 9 years and was still eligible for the HOF (HOF requires minimum of 10 years). If you hadn't let me add to your research.

Joss died April 14, 1911 prematurely at the age of 31. The HOF made an exception for his 9 years because they believed had he been able to play on he would still have been a HOF and he was under contract for the 1911 season marking his 10th season.

Thank you for this info bn2 - I was not aware of this.