Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   E94 Overprint set missing (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=234390)

Leon 01-24-2017 08:01 PM

E94 Overprint set missing

Hey Folks
I got an email from a hobby friend this evening. He has been in the hobby just about as long as anyone I know. We collect a lot of the same stuff and I have spent many hours chatting about cards and the hobby with him.
He won the E94 overprint set in the Heritage Auction when my set was sold. I didn't even know it. They have come up missing, plus there was one more in the group too. If ya'll could be on the lookout, and on the outside chance they turn up, please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated. ..and a link. Thanks ...Here is the message he sent.

"Some months ago the set of 10 E94 backs went missing.
Although I really can't postulate a reasonable route for their disappearance
the bottom line is they're gone.
Actually I had a 11th which was a variation on one of the 10.
They were lot 79009 in the Heritage Auction

Bates/Gold "Blome's Chocolates" (SGC 20 Fair 1.5), Byrne/Violet "Close's Candies are Pennant Winners" (SGC 30 Good 2), Cicotte/Green "Close's Oppie Dildock, The Best of Candy Suckers" (SGC 30 Good 2), Cicotte/Green "Your Out! If you don't eat Close's Oppie Dildocks" (SGC 40 VG 3), Doolan/Gold "Oh You Fan! Eat Closes's Candies" (SGC 40 VG 3), Grant/Green "Your Safe! If you eat Close's Chocolates" (SGC 10 Poor 1), Kleinow/Gold "Your Safe! Have a Cuckoo!" (SGC 30 Good 2), Lake/Olive "Three Strikes! Get a Lemon 2 For 1c." (SGC 30 Good 2), Speaker/Olive "Home Run! For Close's Butter Balls, 4 For 1c." (SGC 10 Poor 1) and Turner/Olive "A Base Hit! Close's Sponge Cake" (SGC 50 VG/EX 4).

Could you post these in your network?
I would appreciate your help."

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...umbnail-071515

gabrinus 01-25-2017 01:18 PM

Holy Crap

Holy Crap!!!!...at least if someone tries to sell them they should be easy to track......that makes me sick to my stomach...........Jerry

midmo 01-25-2017 01:40 PM

Great cards! They're especially cool as a collection to show the variety of overprints. Here's to hoping they're just hiding in a closet like my missing pins were.

Jobu 01-25-2017 02:18 PM

Ouch! Hopefully they turn up - I will keep my eyes open.

ValKehl 01-25-2017 04:35 PM

Leon, is there any additional info - e.g., where, when, under what circumstances, etc. - re the disappearance of these wonderful cards that you can share with us that might provide the super sleuths among us us with some clues?
Val

Leon 01-25-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValKehl (Post 1624167)
Leon, is there any additional info - e.g., where, when, under what circumstances, etc. - re the disappearance of these wonderful cards that you can share with us that might provide the super sleuths among us us with some clues?
Val

That is all of the info which I have right now, Val. I will see if there is any more but I doubt there is much or he would have said something more.

swarmee 01-25-2017 08:16 PM

Knowing what state he lives in would be a start. Did he report them stolen to the local police department, or notify pawn shops/antique malls?

Leon 01-25-2017 08:41 PM

I know he lives in Michigan...maybe Flint but not sure. I don't know if he has reported them yet or not. He is a very experienced collector and I am sure is taking steps he can. As was said, maybe they will turn up in a place he didn't think about and he will still have them.....we can only hope.

ullmandds 01-25-2017 08:52 PM

they will turn up!

Jobu 01-25-2017 09:37 PM

Any chance he had Justin over?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=231582

If so, time to start checking random drawers around the house!

Leon 01-30-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1624249)
they will turn up!

Got an email just now that in fact they did. The last place he said he would have looked :). I told him we have all been there!!

Jobu 01-30-2017 09:59 AM

Let me guess --- random drawer? :D

Leon 01-30-2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 1625639)
Let me guess --- random drawer? :D

I didn't ask but will hopefully be spending at least a few hours with him at the National this year, so I am sure we will chuckle about it, a bit. I don't know how many times I have had a card in a toploader wedge/stick to the back of a case. I am sure I have misplaced a subset of cards, or two, too.

frankbmd 01-30-2017 11:35 AM

If reported, can law enforcement arrest you for finding your own cards?

Paul S 01-30-2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1625666)
If reported, can law enforcement arrest you for finding your own cards?

No, you get to give yourself a finders fee - minus your attorney's invoice and court costs.

Republicaninmass 01-30-2017 01:54 PM

Filing a false report

bnorth 01-30-2017 02:42 PM

I know I found a ton of stuff I forgot I had or couldn't find for the last few years. I have now burnt around 100K cards and have another 20K ready to burn.
I have almost started to make a dent in the room full of cards I have.:)

I am pulling error cards from the junk era and everything else from that era is going including the rookies and super star cards. The only thing I burned that I wished I hadn't was 2 1990 Donruss Aqueous cards I accidentally threw in the to be burned box. I realized it before I burned them but was not going to go back through several thousand 90 Donruss to find a Jeff Treadway and another common Aqueous card.