Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Team from Pittsburgh's West End (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=227088)

PZdiaz110 08-18-2016 09:32 AM

Team from Pittsburgh's West End

2 Attachment(s)
An unidentified picture from my late father-in-law's personal effects. He grew up in Pittsburgh's West End and in fact, we actually drove past 407 Lorenz Avenue, (photography studio's address on back), on our way to the cemetery. Nobody could recall ever seeing the photo before, so it's a mystery as to the date it was taken and which player he was (likely) related to.

Just thought I would post because it's a very cool piece and maybe a few of you out there could take an educated guess as to the date, (based on the equipment, uniforms, etc.). Thanks in advance if anyone ventures a guess.

Regards,

Dave

Bpm0014 08-18-2016 09:11 PM

I live in Pittsburgh in the south hills. I know exactly where Lorenz is. I think the Pittsburg without an h will help date the photo or at least narrow it down.

PZdiaz110 08-18-2016 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 1574048)
I live in Pittsburgh in the south hills. I know exactly where Lorenz is. I think the Pittsburg with an h will help date the photo or at least narrow it down.

That's a good suggestion. Thanks! Also thought about taking it down to the W. PA Sports Museum to get their opinion.

Butch7999 08-18-2016 11:20 PM

The United States Board on Geographic Names attempted to standardize (and homogenize) official place names in the US in 1891.
Pittsburgh was one of many victims, being officially changed to "Pittsburg," but fought the ruling for twenty years and was restored
to "Pittsburgh" in 1911.

That provides a window for the origin of the photographer's stamp, but it doesn't mean the studio didn't continue to use that stamp
for many years after the terminal H was restored.
Based just on the uniforms and on the garb of the gents in the back row, we'd guess 1912-15 give or take a few years,
but the equipment experts on board should have a better estimate than ours...

PZdiaz110 08-20-2016 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butch7999 (Post 1574081)
The United States Board on Geographic Names attempted to standardize (and homogenize) official place names in the US in 1891.
Pittsburgh was one of many victims, being officially changed to "Pittsburg," but fought the ruling for twenty years and was restored
to "Pittsburgh" in 1911.

That provides a window for the origin of the photographer's stamp, but it doesn't mean the studio didn't continue to use that stamp
for many years after the terminal H was restored.
Based just on the uniforms and on the garb of the gents in the back row, we'd guess 1912-15 give or take a few years,
but the equipment experts on board should have a better estimate than ours...

Many thanks for the information and your insight. It's quite possible, with that date range, my wife's great grandfather is in the photo. I doubt if there's any other picture of him. (How I wish I had known about the photo so that I could have asked my father-in-law before he passed!)

Brian Van Horn 08-24-2016 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PZdiaz110 (Post 1573755)
An unidentified picture from my late father-in-law's personal effects. He grew up in Pittsburgh's West End and in fact, we actually drove past 407 Lorenz Avenue, (photography studio's address on back), on our way to the cemetery. Nobody could recall ever seeing the photo before, so it's a mystery as to the date it was taken and which player he was (likely) related to.

Just thought I would post because it's a very cool piece and maybe a few of you out there could take an educated guess as to the date, (based on the equipment, uniforms, etc.). Thanks in advance if anyone ventures a guess.

Regards,

Dave

Small world. I lived for a year on Uvilla St which is a left turn off Lorenz as you head up to the overlook. My friend's wife and her sister own the Lorenz Cafe at 718 Lorenz Ave. I have no idea of the date, but it almost looks like the picture was taken at the graveyard, but what do I know?

John V 08-24-2016 02:09 PM

Great old photo. What size is it?

PZdiaz110 08-25-2016 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn (Post 1576415)
Small world. I lived for a year on Uvilla St which is a left turn off Lorenz as you head up to the overlook. My friend's wife and her sister own the Lorenz Cafe at 718 Lorenz Ave. I have no idea of the date, but it almost looks like the picture was taken at the graveyard, but what do I know?

The old fence certainly is reminiscent of a graveyard. Not sure why but I had the idea that it was taken somewhere along the creek in the West End, (near the Carnegie Library branch).

PZdiaz110 08-25-2016 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 1576420)
Great old photo. What size is it?

Just a bit under 5" x 7"

john.clowes 08-26-2016 11:10 AM

A photographer by the name of Henry Koeper first appeared at 407 Lorenz in the Pittsburgh City Directories in 1906. In 1909, the listing in that year's directory changed to the Federal Photo View company at the same address. In 1911, that address was identified as both the Federal Photo View company address and Henry Koeper's home address. Henry remained at that address through 1915 as a photographer but after than year is no longer at 407 Lorenz nor does he appear at any other address in the Pittsburgh City Directories. Hope this helps.

john.clowes 08-26-2016 12:17 PM

Scoreboard from July 1, 1911.....
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps0p988p5z.png

John V 08-27-2016 05:57 AM

Great research, John!

PZdiaz110 08-30-2016 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.clowes (Post 1577300)
A photographer by the name of Henry Koeper first appeared at 407 Lorenz in the Pittsburgh City Directories in 1906. In 1909, the listing in that year's directory changed to the Federal Photo View company at the same address. In 1911, that address was identified as both the Federal Photo View company address and Henry Koeper's home address. Henry remained at that address through 1915 as a photographer but after than year is no longer at 407 Lorenz nor does he appear at any other address in the Pittsburgh City Directories. Hope this helps.

Wow, That's some impressive research! I never would have thought to use the City Directories. Many thanks John! I'm looking forward to sharing this new information with my wife's side of the family. Now that we know the era, there's a much better chance at determining who's supposed to be in the picture.