Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How does one go about finding a rare card? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=224955)

Tennis13 07-04-2016 01:02 PM

How does one go about finding a rare card?

Is it typically via formal,or informal channels? Are there people that know where supply is? Specifically, I would like to start looking for a 1933 Goudey Lajoie without the pressure to buy tomorrow, but also the possibility to buy when I find the right one.

I just have no idea where or how to start. Any advice?

gnaz01 07-04-2016 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis13 (Post 1558084)
Is it typically via formal,or informal channels? Are there people that know where supply is? Specifically, I would like to start looking for a 1933 Goudey Lajoie without the pressure to buy tomorrow, but also the possibility to buy when I find the right one.

You're at the right place, start a thread in the B/S/T

Mdmtx 07-04-2016 01:40 PM

There have been several 33 lajoie's in the major auction houses of late. And by several I can think of 5. But that is the avenue I would look.

Mark

drcy 07-04-2016 02:16 PM

As mentioned, follow the major auctions and post in the B/S/T. Examples are auctioned with some regularity.

AustinMike 07-04-2016 04:00 PM

To find rare cards, look in the attic of some elder relative. That seems to be where most come from. There and estate sales. :D

JustinD 07-04-2016 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinMike (Post 1558145)
To find rare cards, look in the attic of some elder relative. That seems to be where most come from. There and estate sales. :D

At least that's what ebay taught me too.

4815162342 07-04-2016 08:40 PM

Old houses in Ohio.

ctownboy 07-04-2016 10:35 PM

Unattractive men get very attractive women by letting it be known that they have scads of money to throw their way. Maybe you could let it be known that you want a Lajoie in a certain grade range and that there is scads of money to be thrown the way of the owner and one/some will come your way.

David

bn2cardz 07-05-2016 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis13 (Post 1558084)

You can also contact the auction houses. Sometimes they broker deals that never go to auction, because some sellers don't want to wait months for auctions. In short, just let it know you are looking and get the feelers out there to as many contacts in the hobby.

ALR-bishop 07-05-2016 08:51 AM

Rare

My problem is not necessarily finding rare cards I want or need, it is that everyone else seems to find them and need and want them too :)

Tripredacus 07-05-2016 02:19 PM

The stories of uninterested or non-hobby people finding a rare card are rare. They get a lot of press sometimes but that doesn't mean much of anything. For everyone else it comes down to looking through tons of "junk" or other things before you can find something. I go to sales and shops and whatnot all the time and have seen my share of stuff I'm not interested in. You won't find anything if you don't look at everything. Unless you are SUPER lucky and something just falls into your lap.

I personally do not like to look for anything specific. I look for general things and take what I get. Sometimes its common stuff, sometimes its not. Most times I encounter genuinely rare items, they are obscure to the point where their rarity is not a guage of their value. What I mean is that the market for some things do not exist. They are literally rare but have no perceived value because no one collects that particular thing or knows that it exists.

Leon 07-06-2016 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4815162342 (Post 1558230)
Old houses in Ohio.

You read my mind, except you don't need the caveat of old. It could be a brand new house with a room set aside to make old cards, or any variation of that. :)

On another note, how sly of the OP to put his feelers out this way!! ;)

ls7plus 07-06-2016 04:57 PM

Watch the major auctions, prepare a saved search on ebay, and follow PWCC!

Best of luck in your hunting,

Larry

BBB 07-06-2016 10:01 PM

On top of everything else that's been said...

Setting a Google alert sometimes helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

begsu1013 07-06-2016 10:22 PM