Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Collection of Howe McCormick stamped backs that aren't mine. And I'm O.K. with that. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=220690)

Howe’s Hunter 04-06-2016 10:47 AM

Collection of Howe McCormick stamped backs that aren't mine. And I'm O.K. with that.

The current REA auction has a lot of all the Southern League players that had a Hindu advertising back possible. Chris Browne let me know almost as soon as the auction went online that the lot has four of Howe's cards in it.

The realistic news is that I won't be pursuing the lot, or even the individual cards after the auction is over. The fact that they are Southern Leaguers is one strike against my budget, the fact they are Hindu backs is strike two, and the fact that there are four at once is strike three.

But the good news is that I had known about all four cards, have scans of all four from previous owners or auctions, and now know that all four will be in one location at least for a while.

I'd lost track of the Foster back after a Goodwin auction in 2013 (it is the third example that I know of of a Foster with a Hindu back that Howe stamped. I have the other two). The Molesworth and McCauley I had gotten scans of from a board member many years ago when they were in his collection but haven't had any contact with him of late to know where they were, and the Helm had been in the collection of a different board member who had sent me scans, then sent a message one day to say he didn't have the card any more, and couldn't talk about it. My guess was someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse, and he didn't.

So even though none of these will be joining the others in the rebuilt collection, I do have high hopes that Brian from REA will pass a message on to the new owner and let them know of my quest to reassemble, and when not possible, at least track where Howe's cards end up. My guess is a back run of a subset like this won't be broken up by the new owner anyway, but it cleans up the data sheet of where they all are.

Good luck to everyone pursuing cards in the auction. Lots of nice stuff, as always, in an REA auction.

Pilot172000 04-06-2016 11:27 AM

Forgive my silly question, but what is the story on the Howe McCormick cards?

bobbyw8469 04-06-2016 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilot172000 (Post 1524139)
Forgive my silly question, but what is the story on the Howe McCormick cards?

LOL!!! Dang....

Shoebox 04-06-2016 11:57 AM

Ed is attempting to reassemble a collection of an avid young man that acquired a significant number of T206 cards and diligently stamped them as his. It's one of the coolest projects seen on this board.

A couple threads for background:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=213257

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=204631

Pilot172000 04-06-2016 12:04 PM

Thank You.

T206Collector 04-06-2016 12:10 PM

Here's a question - do you have any Howe McCormick stamped Moose McCormick T206 cards? Maybe there's a distant relation....?

4815162342 04-06-2016 12:17 PM

Collection of Howe McCormick stamped backs that aren't mine. And I'm O.K. with that.

Ed, those cards belong in your collection. I hope the winner can work out a deal for you.

shernan30 04-06-2016 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4815162342 (Post 1524158)
Ed, those cards belong in your collection. I hope the winner can work out a deal for you.

I agree 100%

Howe’s Hunter 04-06-2016 01:02 PM

I've always said I'll get what I can get, but I know there are some that will never be back in the collection.

Heck, I won't ever know how many he had to be put back in to a collection in the first place.

Last I knew, these four were scattered amongst three people. Nice to know they are all in one group, and will move on that way.

There are the others, like gifts from parents, first card ever collected, etc. that won't be leaving the hands of those who have them now.

I'm good with that. I've been surprised by the number of cards I've been able to assemble. I'll keep at it the best I can. Like my signature line says, ...when I can. But I just thought I would mention it on the board, so a bit later on as members see the stamp on the cards, they won't need to send a message to let me know. Yeah, there they are, I'll add them to the data base at the end of the auction if I can, and I'll keep looking for those I can bring back together.

If it weren't for the help of so many on this board, the collection wouldn't be at 291. These four, like the other 27 I know exist but aren't in that group, will make someone else happy to have in their collection. But I wanted to thank everyone who helps, and hope they can get the cards to make their collection what they want it to be.

Again, thanks to everyone on the board.

bobbyw8469 04-06-2016 01:18 PM

Ed, I am totally amazed you have been able to cull together as many as you have. You have done a phenomenal job, and even if you don't add not one iota more to the collection, it will go down in history as "one of the best". That is, until you decide to sell them all! :p

tiger8mush 04-06-2016 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1524144)
LOL!!! Dang....

What was so funny?

2dueces 04-08-2016 09:41 AM

Ed, I know just how you feel. I see F.F. Baker cards occasionally with crazy prices. Either everyone knows I'm collecting them or they don't realize that
marked cards are supposed to be less. LOL
BTW. I am still interested in any T206 stamped F.F. Baker cards.