Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   To all members concerning anonymity on Net54baseball (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219172)

Leon 03-06-2016 07:01 AM

To all members concerning anonymity on Net54baseball

A brief message to let all of our new members (and anyone else too) know that when you are on this board your name needs to be in your post, or be readily obtainable from your post, when you give an opinion of a person or company. The same thing goes if you get into any kind of debate or argument. Everyone has a right, on this board, to know who is saying what about them or towards them. If anyone doesn't like that rule then they can remain silent or go somewhere else. This is only a friendly reminder. :)

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 03-06-2016 07:54 AM

I have always liked this rule. It probably stops at least some people from hitting send.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bobbyw8469 03-06-2016 07:58 AM

Agreed....on the PSA boards you are constantly being bombarded by multiple board names, only to find out it is one person and all his alts. More transparency is needed over there. That is why their board is subpar and this board rocks!

SyrNy1960 03-06-2016 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1512168)
This board rocks!

+1

GoldenAge50s 03-06-2016 10:52 AM

It's a good rule & I appreciate your position on it Leon.

irv 03-06-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1512144)
A brief message to let all of our new members (and anyone else too) know that when you are on this board your name needs to be in your post, or be readily obtainable from your post, when you give an opinion of a person or company. The same thing goes if you get into any kind of debate or argument. Everyone has a right, on this board, to know who is saying what about them or towards them. If anyone doesn't like that rule then they can remain silent or go somewhere else. This is only a friendly reminder. :)

Leon, just so I am clear, when you say "your name" I assume you mean something more than just your login handle that is at the top of everyone's post?

White Borders 03-06-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1512246)
Leon, just so I am clear, when you say "your name" I assume you mean something more than just your login handle that is at the top of everyone's post?

IRV, it needs to be your actual name. So for me it is Craig Wright. You can substitute some characters for letters, such as Cr@!g Wr!ght?, as long as it is recognizable.

lug-nut 03-06-2016 12:13 PM

too bad this doesn't apply to members who use an email service that sends nasty emails to members anonymously

irv 03-06-2016 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Borders (Post 1512262)
IRV, it needs to be your actual name. So for me it is Craig Wright. You can substitute some characters for letters, such as Cr@!g Wr!ght?, as long as it is recognizable.

Thought so. Thanks for clarifying :)

DBesse27 03-06-2016 01:40 PM

Bpm0014 03-06-2016 01:44 PM

Great rule. That's why this is one of the best forums around!

pawpawdiv9 03-06-2016 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBesse27 (Post 1512309)
How do I put mine up there?

Click UserCP (top left)
Click Edit your Detail
Scroll down to additional Info and go to: real name
Once done, save changes

Bestdj777 03-06-2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards (Post 1512166)
I have always liked this rule. It probably stops at least some people from hitting send.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's definitely stopped me from talking on more than one occasion :).

drcy 03-06-2016 04:29 PM

It should be reiterated for newbies that the name rule is for those contentious debates, when someone is criticizing a company or accusing a seller of fraud or such. It's nor required when someone is posting in all those "What's your favorite T206 pose?" and "Does anyone have the complete Police Gazette Supplements checklist?' threads. It's actually a small minority of threads and posts where a name is required.

Enfuego 03-07-2016 08:30 PM

If you don't like it, you ain't gotta go home, but you gotta get the hell outta here

Leon 03-08-2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 1512314)

And this is one reason why the rule is what it is, to me. A lot of people have suggested ALL members need to have their names by their posts. I politely disagree.
A lot of collectors want to remain private in return for not saying everything they might say otherwise (publicly). I don't think anything is wrong with that at all. To me, It would be a shame to not let folks participate somewhat privately if that is what they want to do. Live and let live, but with respect to the first post.

Joshchisox08 03-08-2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 1512314)

Chris maybe I'm missing something here or maybe it's just for the sake of privacy purposes.

Why would anyone care if they had to have their real name present or not on a debatable conversation or opinion?

glchen 03-08-2016 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 (Post 1513042)
Chris maybe I'm missing something here or maybe it's just for the sake of privacy purposes.

Why would anyone care if they had to have their real name present or not on a debatable conversation or opinion?

You can possibly be sued for slander/defamation if the person/company takes offense at what you said. The other part as you said is privacy. Some folks don't like all of their net54 posts coming up when their name is googled or similar web crawlers that track names on the internet.

Leon 03-08-2016 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 1513059)
You can possibly be sued for slander/defamation if the person/company takes offense at what you said. The other part as you said is privacy. Some folks don't like all of their net54 posts coming up when their name is googled or similar web crawlers that track names on the internet.

In defense of that, many members scramble their names so they don't get caught in searches. But your point is well taken, especially about lawsuits.

drcy 03-08-2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enfuego (Post 1512869)
If you don't like it, you ain't gotta go home, but you gotta get the hell outta here

Al Bundy's quote on Married With Children was "You have two choices. You can get out or you can get the Hell out."