Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Vintage Cards in NYC? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=217841)

Filthy 02-09-2016 09:23 AM

Vintage Cards in NYC?

Sorry of this is not the correct place for this.....But, I am in NYC for 8-10 days per month for business. There's obviously tons of things to do and see, and I typically take full advantage of that. However, I haven't been able to find a good spot to look at/purchase vintage sports cards. was hoping there might be someone familiar with the scene there in NYC, to do such a thing. I'm usually there during weekdays..so, I would typically miss out on weekend "shows." Any suggestions are welcome...anywhere in Manhattan or Brooklyn.

Thanks

Rookiemonster 02-09-2016 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filthy (Post 1502194)
Sorry of this is not the correct place for this.....But, I am in NYC for 8-10 days per month for business. There's obviously tons of things to do and see, and I typically take full advantage of that. However, I haven't been able to find a good spot to look at/purchase vintage sports cards. was hoping there might be someone familiar with the scene there in NYC, to do such a thing. I'm usually there during weekdays..so, I would typically miss out on weekend "shows." Any suggestions are welcome...anywhere in Manhattan or Brooklyn.

Thanks

There our two places . Alex's mvps they moved last year from the old spot . It's like 83rd and 1st( google it ) I check this out once in the blue . They got some fun old packs 80s &90s . Most showcased cards are over priced . ( everything is well searched ) . As far as your not going to find some high numbers in a pile of commons .

And the other is chameleon cards and comics . That is downtown on Maden lane.
This is the one I frequent the most . It's not outrageously priced. Friendly and funny staff . They sell modern and vintage . They have supplies , packs , toys , Comics . It's a small store but it had a ton of merchandise .
Both have there upside .

There is another place on 44th and 6th could be 7th . I don't remember the name . They also have a lot of cool memorabilia,coins , paper money , bobbleheads , this is the only one that has tobacco cards . . But everything is over priced ( even the junk silver )

begsu1013 02-09-2016 09:39 PM

used to live in the city back in 04 - 06 and still go back a few times a year...

1. chameleon comics and cards is down in the wall st district.
mainly newer stuff, but if in the area worth a drop in. would not make a special trip though.

2. alex's mvp. description above is spot on.

(side note: if you do go and you like a good spicy dog...hit up papaya king. it's on 86th and 3rd)

3. the baseball card dug out. (brooklyn) but worth it. only went once and above par set up and pricing. would def recommend.

4. best advice. check the open air markets that set up on the weekends.
hells kitchen flea market and the brooklyn flea were 2 of the better ones. mostly raw vintage and only a few set up at each but tons and tons of stuff, and ya will definitely see other things that will peak your curiosity.

disclaimer: again most of this is 10 years ago. hopefully it helps, but please do some more homework to ensure they are still in operation.

herbc 02-11-2016 10:14 PM

Alex's MVP is now located on York Ave., between 83rd and 84th.

Filthy 02-12-2016 10:48 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Looks like I'll check out Alex's and Chameleons. The Brooklyn shop sounded cool...but, I believe it is now closed.

Anyone ever dealt with "Steve's Baseball Cards" in Teaneck, NJ? A few of my accounts are in that area, so I figured I would give it a shot as well.

Thanks!

RichardSimon 02-12-2016 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by begsu1013 (Post 1502458)

(side note: if you do go and you like a good spicy dog...hit up papaya king. it's on 86th and 3rd)

ABSOLUTELY!!! And get one of their drinks,,, Banana, Pina Colada, Papaya.
Heaven in NYC!!!

Filthy 02-24-2016 12:24 PM

Yesterday, I hit up Steves cards in Teaneck, Nj. Very small location, but there was tons of cards. I had my main lists for finishing sets, and he had a good portion of what I needed. I bought 41 commons for verying prices, and am now that much closer to my set needs. The shop was pretty cluttered, but he knew exactly where everything was on request.He had stacks and stacks of Vintage Mantle, Aaron, Mays etc...but prices were very high. Glad I stopped by, and hope to hit up a few in Mangattan today or tomorrow.

begsu1013 02-24-2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1503359)
ABSOLUTELY!!! And get one of their drinks,,, Banana, Pina Colada, Papaya.
Heaven in NYC!!!

100%

the pina colada was my go to w/ a papaya thrown in every once in a while!

but yes, those drinks are just as good!!!