Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I can't read card backs any longer (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=216075)

mrmopar 01-03-2016 01:03 PM

I can't read card backs any longer

I am not exactly sure when this happened, as it certainly was gradually, but I am no longer able to read the backs of most cards without great difficulty and usually some sort of aid, such as bright direct light, moving the card an arm's length from my face and/or reading glasses. I am 46 now, so that is not unexpected by any means, but I have always had good vision in the past. Such is the aging process.

I have not yet succumbed to wearing reading glasses on a regular basis and really only need it for very tiny print. It is one of lives smaller problems I know, but it can be tricky trying to figure out what set a card comes from, especially newer cards.

I believe I now need a lighted magnifying glass to keep with my card sorting supplies!!

tjenkins 01-03-2016 01:08 PM

I can certainly relate to this. Sorry to say it will probably get worse before it gets better! I have been reading the back of sportscards since I was 5 years old and now it 53 I have to use reading glasses. It sucks but like you said such is life!

Rookiemonster 01-03-2016 03:19 PM

Don't forget your glass before a cards show . I do not where glasses and wish I had
Something with me sometimes . I just didn't want to be the guy with the Magnifying glass at the card show . But when the day comes for glasses
I wouldn't mind using them .

bnorth 01-03-2016 04:43 PM

I am also 46 and had the same problem for about 6 months before I broke down and made a appointment to see the eye guy. I have had glasses for about a month and now that I am used to them I really like them. The world is not so fuzzy anymore.LOL

Peter_Spaeth 01-03-2016 05:05 PM

Yeah it's like trying to read the fine print on stuff from the drug store.

nolemmings 01-03-2016 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1487548)
Yeah it's like trying to read the fine print on stuff from the drug store.

Who reads that medical mumbo jumbo anyway? Even if you see it there's just confusing symbols, like that skull and cross-bones. What's with that?

Leon 01-04-2016 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 1487689)
Who reads that medical mumbo jumbo anyway? Even if you see it there's just confusing symbols, like that skull and cross-bones. What's with that?

Don't worry about that stuff. I was told it wasn't important.

I am 54.....finally got some progressive glasses last year (*$500) and now when I wear them I can't see the middle distances. So I now am back to my regular glasses and take them off and put whatever I am reading 6 inches from my eyes. Eventually I will need to cross over to the progressives but I don't like them. Getting old sucks...

frankbmd 01-05-2016 08:17 AM

True story

To avoid the stigma of glasses as a kid, I used to cheat on the school vision tests by memorizing the sequence of the direction of those "E" s on the eye chart from the kids in front of me in line. I could see the card with the hole in it move, but the person with the card repeated the same sequence without fail.

After several years I must have told someone about my brilliant technique that relayed the information to my mother, who requested that I have a private exam. I confessed that I could not see the "E" s at all and quickly ended up with glasses.

Upon returning to school I was amazed to discover that there was actually writing on the chalkboard that one could read. In retrospect had this not happened, I might still be in elementary school.

Exhibitman 01-05-2016 04:06 PM

51 later this year and I've had that issue for several years now, esp. with the 1970s Topps products with gray backs and green print. WTF were they thinking?!? I'd wager not that old farts like us would still be playing with cards...

I bring a magnifier and my iPhone flashlight to shows now.

Age is such fun...

PolarBear 01-06-2016 11:32 AM

Welcome to middle age. :)

RichardSimon 01-06-2016 05:54 PM

Wait until they tell you that you have cataracts :(:(.

Stampsfan 01-07-2016 02:50 PM

I remember being about 43 and my arms were not long enough when reading in bed. He recommended the cheaters, and fortunately I got away with the 1.25 cheaters for several years. Now at 56, I just graduated to the 1.5's.

Weird thing is I can read a road sign from 200 yards, and see my golf ball land (albeit not all that far away). I like to sit up high at the hockey and football games, to see the whole ice / field.

One of the best lines I ever used, years ago on seeing an optometrist. He must have been a lazy SOD, as he asked me "Read the line with the smallest print that you can see". So I sat there, pretended to squint, and then I replied "Printed in Canada".

rsn1661 01-08-2016 07:27 PM

I just turned 55 Wednesday and realized that when we went out to eat I couldn't read the menu. I had been using reading glasses from the dollar store for reading books and newspaper, but I guess I need to start taking them to restaurants. It sucks getting old!:mad:

Leon 01-09-2016 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsn1661 (Post 1489806)
I just turned 55 Wednesday and realized that when we went out to eat I couldn't read the menu. I had been using reading glasses from the dollar store for reading books and newspaper, but I guess I need to start taking them to restaurants. It sucks getting old!:mad:

Wait till you take your glasses off to put something right next to your face to read it. Then you can't find the glasses you just put down as you can't see well enough without them to find 'em. It's been happening to me lately and I have to ask my wife to help find them..... Yes, getting old sucks.....but there is no good alternative.

drcy 01-09-2016 11:52 AM

The catch-22 is when you need your glasses to find your glasses.

My elderly dad just got expensive glasses and I told my mom maybe we should put a GPS tracking system on them for when he can't find them.

PowderedH2O 01-09-2016 06:44 PM

I had this exact problem the other night. I was putting some 1961's in my set and I couldn't read the numbers. I had to get my wife to tell me what the numbers were. I wear glasses (bifocals - and I'm 50), but I don't have them on 100% of the time. I guess I should...

earlywynnfan 01-14-2016 05:20 PM

46, have had glasses since 4th grade for nearsightedness. (I was always wondering why my teacher was making strange motions at the board, till I also realized she was writing up there!)

For about a year now, I've had to take my glasses off and hold anything with small print up to my face. Just last week, reading answers from the teacher's manual, I looked up and just saw colors in the back of the room with hands up. I said, "Joe, I think that's you, if you're wearing black, go ahead and answer."

My family laughs at me constantly.

RTK 01-16-2016 08:03 AM

I guess I'm not alone. I have multiple pairs of dollar store cheaters scattered about in case I can't find find the ones I'm looking for......that I've been actully holding in my hand the whole time.

billyb 01-17-2016 07:18 PM

Frank,
I can relate to the cheating on the eye test. I had one lazy eye, which every time I had to use my bad eye during the eye test, I developed the method of turning my head slightly and sliding the card or my hand just enough, so I could see around the card or my hand, so my good eye was still being used. I hated the idea that I may need glasses.
When I entered the military, they caught up with me, and glasses were issued..........ugh. But with the one good eye, my whole life, I got by perfectly.
But now that I am crowding 70 a bit, my good eye is just now starting to give me some issues a bit. So glasses have become a permanent fixture on my face.