Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What to do with older Mastro and REA auction catalogs? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=213665)

TCMA 11-05-2015 10:11 AM

What to do with older Mastro and REA auction catalogs?

I've got maybe 50 - 75 older auction catalogs from Mastro and REA. They're in storage right now and I need to clear them out. Any ideas on what to do with these? I'd like to keep a few but don't need that many :( .

ullmandds 11-05-2015 10:17 AM

i have kept a few auction catalogs over the years...but most I just recycle. some here offer to send them to other collectors. it'd be kinda cool to have a "library" of older auction catalogs somewhere!

TCMA 11-05-2015 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1468965)
i have kept a few auction catalogs over the years...but most I just recycle. some here offer to send them to other collectors. it'd be kinda cool to have a "library" of older auction catalogs somewhere!

Don't think they can be recycled because they're books, and the local library probably wouldn't want them.

I've considered offering to send them to other collectors but I think they'd be expensive to ship. They'd have to go Priority Mail based on their weight, so whoever is receiving them would have to cover that.

ullmandds 11-05-2015 10:38 AM

ya...what I meant is recycle them in the circular file!!!!!

Peter_Spaeth 11-05-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCMA (Post 1468970)
Don't think they can be recycled because they're books, and the local library probably wouldn't want them.

I've considered offering to send them to other collectors but I think they'd be expensive to ship. They'd have to go Priority Mail based on their weight, so whoever is receiving them would have to cover that.

If they are books can't you ship book rate?

Howe’s Hunter 11-05-2015 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1468972)
If they are books can't you ship book rate?

Afraid not. Tried that a couple weeks ago and was a bit to honest or transparent with the postal folks. If a price is listed for any item, even if it is a starting bid point, it is no longer a book, but a catalog. I argued, they busted open the package, and deemed it a catalog that does not qualify for book rate.

ullmandds 11-05-2015 10:48 AM

ed...i've never had a problem shipping "books" this way. I'd think the box would be so heavy they would not question it?

CowboysGuide 11-05-2015 11:17 AM

I've shipped book via USPS Media Mail with no problem. Don't know if that's the same as 'book rate'.

pawpawdiv9 11-05-2015 12:33 PM

I was wondering the same question, I got my AH books from the last 2-3 yrs it seems, and from like 8 AHs, and they weigh a TON!!!! Thought it be a good idea for bonfires for when my neighbor has a bunch of kids, i assume for boyscouts.

bgar3 11-05-2015 12:45 PM

I create files with pages from the catalogues for items I either won, have a similar item, think I might acquire in the future, wish I could get, or have a historical especially well researched description of an area that interests me. You can track specific items, get a feel for rarity and follow value changes. I also keep catalogues that are about a single subject or are histoically important in their own right, very subjective. Some catalogues have excellent essays about a person, era or subject, that are well worth keeping. I am usually opposed to extracting pages from books, but make an exception for catalogues. You will also enjoy going thru them again to pull out a few pages. Just remember to date and annotate them. When you have done all that, ditch them.

scooter729 11-05-2015 12:56 PM

Is that true - these catalogs can't be recycled? I've been tossing the auction catalogs in the recycling bins for years. Aren't they just like any other paper or magazine which would go in the recycling bin?

slidekellyslide 11-05-2015 12:59 PM

Ever wondered why all your auction catalogs are mailed to you via priority? Because they can't be mailed via media mail. The auction houses would save thousands of dollars on every auction if they could use media mail.

baseballart 11-05-2015 01:15 PM

I've got a ton here in Vancouver. If anybody wants to drop by and pick some up, let me know.

Canada has no media rate, so they are about $18 each to ship.

Max

ALR-bishop 11-05-2015 02:26 PM

Post Office

Ed---Just curious, did they ask for your permission before "busting " it out ?

What about something like SCD, either the catalog or the the publication. I assume a price guide is not a price list, but what if there is there is advertising with prices in the ads within the publication ?

jcmtiger 11-05-2015 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter729 (Post 1469049)
Is that true - these catalogs can't be recycled? I've been tossing the auction catalogs in the recycling bins for years. Aren't they just like any other paper or magazine which would go in the recycling bin?

I just take them to the recycle bin in town, they never come back. You can recycle.

Joe

Bob Lemke 11-05-2015 02:43 PM

As a periodical, SCD is mailed via 2nd Class Mail. It's a special category t encourage dissemination of newspapers, magazines, etc.

There is a lot of red tape to acquiring a 2nd Class mailing permit, but the postage break is (or at least used to be) substantial. It also used to be the postal norm that 2nd Class mail traveled about the same speed at 1st Class.

Howe’s Hunter 11-05-2015 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1469071)

What about something like SCD, either the catalog or the the publication. I assume a price guide is not a price list, but what if there is there is advertising with prices in the ads within the publication ?

As I said, I was too honest with the Post Office.

When I told them I wanted to mail it book rate, they asked what was in it. I responded old auction catalogs. "Well, it has prices in it, so it isn't a book," was the response. But those are only suggestions or starting points, nothing in those books sold for what was listed as a price. "Well, you'll have to prove that." How can I prove that, I don't have a list of realized prices with me. "May I look at the items? (meaning the books)" Sure. "No, this is a catalog. Nothing but items to buy and a required price. This has to go priority mail.”

It went from being a $4 charge to more than $15.

Howe’s Hunter 11-05-2015 02:54 PM

But at least they didn't charge me for a second Priority box large enough for the three catalogs. They charged for the first one, because is was larger than an envelope. But since they are the ones who opened it, they gave the second box for free, but I still had to repack it while at the P.O.

Rob D. 11-05-2015 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)

caramelcard 11-05-2015 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1469071)

No, they don't ask permission. I ship records frequently and they've been opened many times by the Post Office. If there's something else in there besides what qualifies as media mail, then they'll charge you or the person who receives the package the extra postage.

FourStrikes 11-05-2015 03:42 PM

re: Rob D.

Hoarder!!!!! (I'll STFU now - guilty as well - looks like MY office.)

ullmandds 11-05-2015 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob D. (Post 1469092)

The library is at robs house

slidekellyslide 11-05-2015 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha (Post 1469090)
But at least they didn't charge me for a second Priority box large enough for the three catalogs. They charged for the first one, because is was larger than an envelope. But since they are the ones who opened it, they gave the second box for free, but I still had to repack it while at the P.O.

Your post office charges for priority boxes?

Jewish-collector 11-05-2015 06:27 PM

I cut out the pictures of the cards & put them in plastic sheets and/or top loaders. Best collection of vintage baseball cards on earth. :D:D:D

Leon 11-07-2015 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1469141)

Sarcasm maybe? Actually sounds like they made a mistake with that issue so they compensated him with the one mailing for free.

mrmopar 11-07-2015 10:43 AM

I'm sure there are collectors who would want the catalogs with a specific player featured, especially on the cover. There are plenty of player collectors who would want them if even the slightest glimpse of their player is on the cover and some who might even want them if their player is mentioned or photographed within.

I only request them periodically and then they will come for a while and I suspect after they receive no bids from me for a certain period, they stop mailing them out and I am dropped from the list. I might have a dozen or so, some having great covers while others just show a random selection of collectibles on the cover.

Mark70Z 11-07-2015 04:43 PM

Brooks Robinson

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmopar (Post 1469767)
I'm sure there are collectors who would want the catalogs with a specific player featured, especially on the cover. There are plenty of player collectors who would want them if even the slightest glimpse of their player is on the cover and some who might even want them if their player is mentioned or photographed within.

I'm the type of collector that mrmopar mentioned above. I really like to collect books, magazines, programs, and even auction catalogs covers w/Brooks pictured (on the front or back). Just makes for a cool display around the room like on a coffee table. I have a few scattered here and there. The new Heritage Auction catalog is an awesome addition to the room.

CW 11-07-2015 06:22 PM

Another option for some:

Find a drop box to donate your books to BetterWorldBooks

ValKehl 11-08-2015 09:06 AM

I once had a pile of auction catalogs that resembled Rob's pile, but I put them all in the recycle bin (at my wife's "encouragement") a few years ago. I no longer keep them, with ONE exception, and I'm sure that Leon can guess what this ONE exception is - I wrote all of the final auction prices in it and plan to keep it until I get too old to collect any longer!
Val

TCMA 11-11-2015 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1469914)

Thanks for the link. That might be an option for me as there's one on the same street as my local card shop.

TCMA 11-11-2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob D. (Post 1469092)

Yup, my stack is very close to that :) .

ooo-ribay 11-11-2015 10:39 AM

My stack is about 4 feet high. Tried to pull out one towards the bottom the other day. It wasn't happening.

Iwantmorecards77 11-11-2015 11:00 AM

Old catalogs...

1 Attachment(s)
Made this 4 years ago. Cut out catalog pics and made a poster - sprayed on shellac - and framed it. Here it is hanging in my office at work:

GasHouseGang 11-11-2015 11:22 AM

That looks great! I wouldn't have thought of that.

brookdodger55 11-11-2015 11:39 AM

Great Idea looks amazing, have about 50 books will make a poster over the winter.
mike

Gary Dunaier 11-13-2015 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1469141)

I don't know if they still do, but the USPS did issue priority mail envelopes and Express Mail envelopes with the postage pre-printed on them.

Gary Dunaier 11-13-2015 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha (Post 1468975)
If a price is listed for any item, even if it is a starting bid point, it is no longer a book, but a catalog. I argued, they busted open the package, and deemed it a catalog that does not qualify for book rate.

Stamp collectors have had the same problem mailing copies of the Scott Postage Stamp Catalogue, which actually has "catalogue" as part of its name.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4,203,200_.jpg

Explanations that it's a reference book, and not an actual list of items for sale, have fallen on deaf ears.

tbob 11-14-2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmtiger (Post 1469080)
I just take them to the recycle bin in town, they never come back. You can recycle.

Joe

+1. Same here

Leon 11-16-2015 10:30 AM

Recycle

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbob (Post 1472648)
+1. Same here

I am one of the few on my street that pays to have recycling picked up. It's a nominal fee and takes a few minutes more work but recycling is good. And the AH catalogs recycle as well as the rest of the stuff. And many times they are the heaviest items too!! :)

BeanTown 11-16-2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1473296)
I am one of the few on my street that pays to have recycling picked up. It's a nominal fee and takes a few minutes more work but recycling is good. And the AH catalogs recycle as well as the rest of the stuff. And many times they are the heaviest items too!! :)

How much money do you think a years worth of AH Catalogs would fetch? Thats actually a really good idea, but some of the old AH catalogs might be worth something in years to come! I love my old Sloat catalogs along with Lipset.