Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Scammed on BST...be careful with AUSTIN316 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=213112)

RelicSports 10-24-2015 07:27 AM

Scammed on BST...be careful with AUSTIN316

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning All,

I just wanted to put out a warning to all Net54 members when dealing with AUSTIN316. I agreed to purchase a signed postcard back on July 15, sent a check payment immediately figuring the guy (Tony...username AUSTIN316) sounded legit. 3+ months later I still have nothing to show for it. He does reply to my texts on occasion, but has yet to supply me with an tracking #, a refund, etc. 1 month delay, I could deal with, 2 months and I knew something was up, 3 months and I know I most likely will not see anything again. Please be careful out there....I can give more details if needed, but don't want to overstep proper Net54 etiquette.

Andrew

bnorth 10-24-2015 07:35 AM

Hope you end up with your item or refund. They say bad things come in 3's so hopefully now the scammers are gone for a while.

Leon 10-24-2015 07:37 AM

I am very sorry to hear of this. It is another cautionary tale for the BST. His total posts in the last few years is 6. The number of posts a member has is our informal feedback system. That low total is a bit of a flag to do some vetting of your trading partner. I am not, at all, saying it was your fault, if it is what you said and I am not questioning that. You probablly need your full name (can be a bit jumbled for searching issues) but other than that, the more info the merrier....minus phone numbers (which he gave in most of his posts) or addresses. If I can help any please PM me about it.....

Mikehealer 10-24-2015 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1464646)
I am very sorry to hear of this. It is another cautionary tale for the BST. His total posts in the last few years is 6. The number of posts a member has is our informal feedback system. That low total is a bit of a flag to do some vetting of your trading partner. I am not, at all, saying it was your fault, if it is what you said and I not questioning that. You probablly need your full name (can be a bit jumbled for searching issues) but other than that, the more info the merrier....minus phone numbers (which he gave in most of his posts) or addresses. If I can help any please PM me about it.....

Isn't his full name in his post?

Leon 10-24-2015 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikehealer (Post 1464650)
Isn't his full name in his post?

Yeap, I need more coffee. Thanks for the correction and Thanks Andrew!!

bobbyw8469 10-24-2015 07:48 AM

Too many scammers on this board lately....what is up with that?

batsballsbases 10-24-2015 08:58 AM

Sad.. When ever there is something good like the BST that really helps fellow collectors some idiots always seem to find a way to ruin it!!

pokerplyr80 10-24-2015 10:30 AM

An unfortunate situation but a good example of why paypal goods is best when dealing with someone you don't know. I know I wouldn't send a check or use paypal ff unless it was someone a dealt with before, or who was well known on the board. Even then I would have reservations. A 3% fee isn't bad for peace of mind.

xplainer 10-24-2015 11:48 AM

The "other" site I used to be on is full of scammers. I still go there, but mostly for entertainment.

I have never had a problem here. Buying or selling.

When I first started here, I did pay attention to the number post the person had. Not fail-safe, but it was the only thing I had to go by.

As time has gone by, I have established "friendships" with several members who buy/sell the same type of cards I do (T206). I have no problem sending PP FF to any of them.

OP, sorry to hear about this. Thanks for giving folks a heads-up. I would have thrown it up there after 1 month of nothing. Just me though.

Joshwesley 10-24-2015 11:53 AM

I never do business with anyone on here unless they are a known commodity with lots of references spanning many years.

I would recommend that SOP for everyone

Joshwesley 10-24-2015 11:55 AM

Also, this is why eBay is pretty attractive.... You're 100% covered on sometbing like this.

mettoy66 10-24-2015 01:26 PM

I am a bit leary as many sellers on here only want F&F or want to charge 3% to have the transactions go through as goods. I for one would like if the whole price to do a transaction was all in one. Even a known seller can have a package go missing or turn deadbeat!

kmac32 10-24-2015 01:41 PM

I generally base my transactions on reputation and references on the board. I know that there can always be bad apples but I have never had a negative buying experience on the board. I think your odds here are pretty much better than your odds on eBay even though ebay has a buyer protection program. With that said, the use of family and friend for payment is technically an abuse of their system and it takes away buyer protection so I prefer to use regular paypal with transactions. I can also understand not wanting to pay the 3 % as a seller but it also protects the seller's reputation by keeping things on the up and up.

pokerplyr80 10-24-2015 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mettoy66 (Post 1464705)
I am a bit leary as many sellers on here only want F&F or want to charge 3% to have the transactions go through as goods. I for one would like if the whole price to do a transaction was all in one. Even a known seller can have a package go missing or turn deadbeat!

I don't have a problem with this as long as it's clear. If a seller says I want to net $1,000 on this card, so it's 1,030 paypal goods, that's fine. Insisting something is paid for by check or paypal ff is a red flag for me.

RelicSports 10-24-2015 01:56 PM

I have used the BST for numerous purchases and sales and hadn't had an issue until this. I don't think it will keep me from making future deals, but I do think it will all have to be via paypal to "protect." In retrospect, I shouldn't have done the check as Tony had asked for.

Bocabirdman 10-24-2015 02:28 PM

BST is a fantastic place for friends to Buy, Sell, and Trade with each other. Over the last few years, I have bought and sold hundreds of cards/lots of cards with nary a member-caused snafu. (I have run into the rare Postal glitch as you would anywhere.) PayPal FRIENDS and Family is designed for such a place. If you do not know a person as a friend or, at the very least, by reputation, you are opening yourself up to problems. Truthfully though, I have not had any and I have dealt with dozens of board members , some dozens of times. I have been upgrading my T206 pile to slabs and passing my raw cards on to other collectors. I also have thinned the herd by moving literally 12,000 Topps/Bowman a couple years ago and various other Pre-War piles earlier this year. I am presently moving a pile of T212 Obak slabs.

There is NO BETTER PLACE to reach other collectors and no better group of collectors anywhere else on the web. PERIOD

Stetson_1883 10-24-2015 03:30 PM

I would

I would just like to add that Im a good guy! :)

Joshchisox08 10-24-2015 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearfan4 (Post 1464640)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning All,

I just wanted to put out a warning to all Net54 members when dealing with AUSTIN316. I agreed to purchase a signed postcard back on July 15, sent a check payment immediately figuring the guy (Tony...username AUSTIN316) sounded legit. 3+ months later I still have nothing to show for it. He does reply to my texts on occasion, but has yet to supply me with an tracking #, a refund, etc. 1 month delay, I could deal with, 2 months and I knew something was up, 3 months and I know I most likely will not see anything again. Please be careful out there....I can give more details if needed, but don't want to overstep proper Net54 etiquette.

Andrew

Like Stone Cold used to say "D.T.A." DON'T TRUST ANYONE. The wrestling joke and humor aside I hope it wasn't a lot of money that sucks man.

jiw98 10-24-2015 04:42 PM

I am happy that the transactions I have had here have all been positive. It's a shame that some will ruin the trust for others on this site.
Andrew,I hope everything works out well for you.