Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Any thoughts?? Joe McGinnity (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=192956)

yanks12025 08-25-2014 04:55 PM

Any thoughts?? Joe McGinnity

Saw this on ebay and was watching it. Noticed that it was ended today, anyone have thoughts. I think it's secretarial, doesn't look like his other examples.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111441007247...84.m1423.l2649

Duluth Eskimo 08-25-2014 11:41 PM

I saw that too. I didn't see anything signed like that before and to me it just looked a little too clean. Didn't seem to be much wear to anything, but the story seems plausible. If I don't feel comfortable I just don't bid no matter what the story or TPA would say. Interested what other people would say. Jason

tazdmb 08-26-2014 06:18 AM

My guess is some auction house bought it and we will see the letter again in the next 12 months, with full authentication.

jgmp123 08-26-2014 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdmb (Post 1314478)
My guess is some auction house bought it and we will see the letter again in the next 12 months, with full authentication.

+1

jad22 08-26-2014 01:31 PM

http://www.psacard.com/autographfact.../joe-mcginnity

If this exemplar is correct it appears somewhat different.

JimStinson 08-27-2014 08:07 AM

JimStinson

Someone had e-mailed me a scan of it a few days ago and I told them I thought it was secretarial. I had no idea where it was being offered at or by who. But after seeing the group lot that accompanied it which I knew nothing of at the time I have to think it was a bargain at the selling price even without the Iron Man letter being authentic. Nice snag someone who ever you are !

Vintage autographs for Sale on My web site
stinsonsports.com

packs 08-27-2014 08:47 AM

Seems like it would be strange to have someone else sign a letter to a friend. Unless I guess Joe dictated the letter and had someone else hand write it. I would suspect a secretarial signature would be on a typed letter, no?

Klrdds 08-27-2014 11:00 AM

Out of the blue I contacted the seller yesterday to see if the item was still available because the whole lot intrigued me. He told me that it was and that 2 others were interested in it ahead of me and he was undecided what he would do at this time. He said he pulled the item because he was not happy with how the bidding was progressing. Made me wonder how many people had questions about the McGinnity letter's authenticity. It definitely looks different than the exemplars I have seen. My hope is that some TPA will not approve the letter out of greed or just plain ignorant laziness if it is submitted. Should it be submitted and it gets approved as authentic the TPA should be ready to defend its due diligence for its decision.
But one question arises: why would you dictate a letter and have someone transcribe it and write it in hand written fashion or authorize a letter to be written by someone else in hand-written fashion and have them sign your name to it? Why not type it? After all this was a business letter , not a truly personal letter.
Could this be a case similar to the infamous Delahanty letter, except that McGinnity's last name is spelled correctly?

JimStinson 08-27-2014 11:00 AM

JimStinson

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1314918)
Seems like it would be strange to have someone else sign a letter to a friend. Unless I guess Joe dictated the letter and had someone else hand write it. I would suspect a secretarial signature would be on a typed letter, no?

This might be your answer, census says he could read and write but even items with short inscriptions that are actually signed by him appear to be in another hand, which would indicate his handwriting might have been atrocious.

Joe received little formal schooling.Due to the transient lifestyle of coal miners, his family moved frequently during his childhood. At the age of eight, Joe and his older brothers went to work in the mines to support their family.

yanks12025 08-27-2014 11:18 AM

To me everything in the lot looks to be written by the same person.

JimStinson 08-27-2014 12:03 PM

JimStinson

The Stallings is not signed by him either , so yes almost everything IS signed by the same person, and at first glance I thought the $1,500 was the buy it now price but I see now it was the starting bid price ....no wonder he pulled it.
Reminds of that song from "Man of La Mancha"...:)

Vintage autographs for Sale on my web site
stinsonsports.com

jad22 08-27-2014 12:07 PM

I think Keurajian's books has two exemplars from the circa 1910, which happens to be the year this letter was signed and I think it makes mention of the fact that he signed "Joe J" rather than just "Joe".

Runscott 08-28-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 1314976)
My hope is that some TPA will not approve the letter out of greed or just plain ignorant laziness if it is submitted.

It's a dreary day here in Tacoma - thanks for giving me a good chuckle over coffee.

jad22 08-29-2014 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1315440)
It's a dreary day here in Tacoma - thanks for giving me a good chuckle over coffee.

Such pessimism toward the industry experts.