Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New member from the modern card world (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=192141)

HalChaseCollector 08-09-2014 08:41 PM

New member from the modern card world

Hello vintage world! I have been collecting modern cards for awhile but realized that the true beauty of baseball cards is in vintage. I think it ridiculous for someone to pay thousands of dollars on a superfractor baseball card with a players signature on it when you could own a real piece of baseball history instead! I have set my eyes on the t-205 set because there are many low end affordable cards for me and I find the gold border to be very aesthetically appealing. I have decided to go for quantity over quality of cards based solely because of my budget. I hope learn more about vintage cards from this forum!
Henry

gregr2 08-09-2014 08:47 PM

Welcome to a great forum. Good luck on your quest.

wazoo 08-09-2014 08:53 PM

I like your attitude! Welcome!

the 'stache 08-09-2014 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie Mays Hayes (Post 1308215)
Hello vintage world! I have been collecting modern cards for awhile but realized that the true beauty of baseball cards is in vintage. I think it ridiculous for someone to pay thousands of dollars on a superfractor baseball card with a players signature on it when you could own a real piece of baseball history instead! I have set my eyes on the t-205 set because there are many low end affordable cards for me and I find the gold border to be very aesthetically appealing. I have decided to go for quantity over quality of cards based solely because of my budget. I hope learn more about vintage cards from this forum!
Henry

Welcome aboard, Henry. Great user name! I got a good chuckle from it.

It sounds like you're following the same path I did. I was a big Bowman Chrome prospect autograph collector. I have about 150 of them, some of which are quite valuable (Mike Trout, Clayton Kershaw, etc). And I'll still buy an occasional card or two from that line. But seeing Kris Bryant's gold refractor auto redemption go for $5,000 (not even the auto, as you know, just the promise of an auto), well, I'd had enough with the rat race. Every three months, a new set of prospect autos would come out. Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Bowman DP&P. I just got sick of trying to keep up.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here on Net 54. The members are great. The discussions are also much more interesting. I love learning about the history of the game, and the hobby.

Have fun. I look forward to seeing your collection grow!

Bill

ethicsprof 08-09-2014 09:27 PM

welcome aboard the board!
all the best,
barry

kamikidEFFL 08-09-2014 10:16 PM

Welcome aboard. If your looking at the T206 set well you've come to the right place these guys knows a ton of stuff bout it. Best of lucki on the monster

mrvster 08-10-2014 12:25 AM

welcome....

you made a great choice.....just a suggestion.....try on a T206:)

peace

Johnny

shernan30 08-10-2014 06:03 AM

Welcome to the board. After National I've concluded modern card collectors are crazy paying some of the prices out there. Well, unless you're a hockey fan buying into box breaks, lol (wife and I just started doing that for Jackets cards).

Good luck with the collection. Pretty much any question you have can be answered here.

Enfuego 08-10-2014 05:52 PM

Welcome aboard

Luke 08-10-2014 05:58 PM

nice screen name and pic :cool:

Matvoo 08-10-2014 07:37 PM

Welcome aboard

Rickyy 08-11-2014 02:56 PM

Welcome...the vintage stuff is awe and some you'll enjoy it!

Ricky Y

Leon 08-12-2014 08:23 AM

Welcome to the vintage world Henry. We all hope you enjoy your time here!! It's a great place to collect even if there is a bit of drama thrown in :).

joeadcock 08-12-2014 08:28 AM

Hello

Get an Old Judge while your at it.