Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Jackie Robinson opinion (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=191433)

toyman55 07-27-2014 09:10 AM

Jackie Robinson opinion

1 Attachment(s)
I found this on a auction and was hoping for opinions. It didn't look right to me when I found it but then I looked at Ron Keurajian's book and there was one very close to it that said it was undated but the R in the last name continues into the whole name. Any thoughtsl

khkco4bls 07-27-2014 09:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are mine

jb217676 07-27-2014 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a clean Jackie autograph for reference.

RelicSports 07-28-2014 07:46 AM

I am no expert, but it looks good to me

MooseDog 07-28-2014 08:11 AM

It's about context...what is the autograph doing there in the return address portion of the envelope? And where is the rest of the envelope? Back in the day there wasn't so much paranoia about privacy. I would obtain envelopes with player signatures in the return address area addresses to other autograph collectors. If Robinson was presented a blank envelope to sign, why would he sign there and not in a clean portion?

William Farrell 07-28-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MooseDog (Post 1303032)
It's about context...what is the autograph doing there in the return address portion of the envelope? And where is the rest of the envelope? Back in the day there wasn't so much paranoia about privacy. I would obtain envelopes with player signatures in the return address area addresses to other autograph collectors. If Robinson was presented a blank envelope to sign, why would he sign there and not in a clean portion?

J, It can be argued that Jackie utilized the "From" that was already preprinted on the envelope, as a salutation for his signature. But it can also be interpreted that there may have been writing already occupying the more central areas, which is supported by placement thus your observation.

I'm not comfortable with the signature itself, there are mechanical elements that look unusual to me.

Comparison of flat to cylindrical signed exemplars aren't as accurate as comparing like-signed items, in this case the slabbed, flat example a better choice for comparison, IMO.

Duluth Eskimo 07-28-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MooseDog (Post 1303032)

I agree. It looks a little contrived to me. I also don't like the flow, but with pencil it is tough to judge accurately. Just my opinion.

daves_resale_shop 07-31-2014 04:41 AM

Jackie

I got an email from my friend this morning stating that he picked this one up... He mentioned that he did use psa's quick opinion and it came back "likely genuine" ... I see resemblances to Jackie's signature, but it just looks rushed to me... I own a Jackie, but am by no means am expert... Can anyone else weigh in?

Nick M 07-31-2014 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Genuine Robinson shown here.

steve B 08-01-2014 03:48 PM

I'm glad I'm not into autographs enough to buy expensive stuff.

To me none of the four look at all like the others. :confused:

Steve B

daves_resale_shop 08-01-2014 04:45 PM

Jackie

1 Attachment(s)
And here's the one I own...

Nick M 08-01-2014 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1304816)
I'm glad I'm not into autographs enough to buy expensive stuff.

To me none of the four look at all like the others. :confused:

Steve B

I agree with you Steve, my Dad (now 77 years old) got this one back when Jackie came into the office where he worked in New Jersey for a major sporting goods company. I remember bringing it into school for show and tell back around 1970, I was 5 years old then and didn't really appreciate what I had in my bookbag. I'm sure that's where the stains on the paper came from!