Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Fenway Hunt Auctions Underbidder thread (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=186332)

Runscott 04-12-2014 11:00 AM

Fenway Hunt Auctions Underbidder thread

Wow - great stuff from Johnny Pesky's 'collection being auctioned by Hunt at Fenway Park today. So far I was the underbidder on 3 out of 5 lots, losing the other two by a landslide. Still the internet high bidder on 4 items.

Hated losing this one by $105: 1942 Red Sox scrapbook

http://www.huntauctions.com/LIVE/img45/12.jpg

bostonmarathonman 04-12-2014 06:53 PM

Scott, what were the lots you were the underbidder on??? I hope they weren't the two that I won; that means you would've bid me up!!! :(

Did you end up winning any of your lots????

yanks12025 04-12-2014 07:42 PM

I went to the preview today, they should have tried to get more items from other teams and everything.

Runscott 04-12-2014 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bostonmarathonman (Post 1265303)
Scott, what were the lots you were the underbidder on??? I hope they weren't the two that I won; that means you would've bid me up!!! :(

Did you end up winning any of your lots????

Nope - shut out. I started this morning as the high internet bidder on nine lots, and was the underbidder (best I can tell) on: 12,19,50 and 325

perezfan 04-12-2014 08:40 PM

I came up empty as well... most notably on this...

http://www.huntauctions.com/LIVE/ima...=313&lot_qual=

My early bid had little chance, but it didn't go as high as I thought it might have, either. Someone got a beautiful piece.

Very limited variety this time around... especially for non-Red Sox fans. :(

JeremyW 04-13-2014 10:27 AM

If the winner of lot #324- (2) Kid Nichols cabinet photos would like to sell either photo, I'm very interested. Thanks, Jeremy

UnVme7 04-13-2014 02:18 PM

I find Hunt to be somewhat difficult to get around on their website. And I have been outbid on every single item I have ever bid on with them. I wish they would make their site more user friendly.

perezfan 04-13-2014 02:22 PM

^^^^^^ Me too ^^^^^^

It gives me a migraine every time :mad:

Runscott 04-13-2014 03:22 PM

I have thoroughly enjoyed their auctions over the years, and almost always come away with a few cool items. No luck this time. I think most of us are used to their auction software, so it's no big deal.

thecatspajamas 04-13-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1265472)
I think most of us are used to their auction software, so it's no big deal.

+1
The site could be better, but at least they now put out a printed catalog for their monthly auctions. I usually start there, dogear the lots of interest, then go to the website for additional descriptions and bidding. (No bidding from me this time around though).

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the internet pre-bid followed by live auction scenario. Probably because I once thought I had won a lot (not realizing it was a pre-bid followed by live auction the next day. The next evening, after the live auction I didn't know about, I was talking to another collector who happened to mention the same lot, and gave me a confused look when I said "Yeah, I won those for [some price much less than the final bid]. Periodic embarrassment like that keeps me humble. The other reason I don't like pre-bids is I've never actually won anything that way :)

UnVme7 04-13-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatspajamas (Post 1265481)
+1
The site could be better, but at least they now put out a printed catalog for their monthly auctions. I usually start there, dogear the lots of interest, then go to the website for additional descriptions and bidding. (No bidding from me this time around though).

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the internet pre-bid followed by live auction scenario. Probably because I once thought I had won a lot (not realizing it was a pre-bid followed by live auction the next day. The next evening, after the live auction I didn't know about, I was talking to another collector who happened to mention the same lot, and gave me a confused look when I said "Yeah, I won those for [some price much less than the final bid]. Periodic embarrassment like that keeps me humble. The other reason I don't like pre-bids is I've never actually won anything that way :)

That, and even though I never win anything, which is ok, I don't bid a ton from them. I can't get myself to bid on an item with 1 photo, unless they changed it.

Runscott 04-13-2014 08:47 PM

Leon 04-14-2014 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That format has it's pluses and minuses. I have won one lot in their phone auctions one time. I just put in a max bid on the internet and it held up. I was at the Oaks show a few years ago when their auction was live and didn't know I won until later. They had a lot of T210s and didn't picture the mascot or get it graded but had other low end cards graded and shown. I was happy they barely mentioned it and didn't show it. I probably wouldn't have won it. I ended up getting all of my money back from the other cards and kept only the Mascot. (now in a 30 or 40 holder)