Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Father/Daughter and start of Baseball Season (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=184231)

joeadcock 03-02-2014 10:13 PM

Father/Daughter and start of Baseball Season

4 Attachment(s)
Since Spring Training just started, thought would throw in some photos from the recent Fanfest Rays festival. Every year, Tropicana stadium opens up to all the fans. Take pictures with players, run the bases, etc. My daughter is a big fan. First one is her and last year's American League rookie of the year. Other shots also. Last one is shot of the Yankees/Jays game I caught today in Dunedin, Florida. One good thing about Florida this time of year, is all the spring training. That and Cards, what a great combination.

freakhappy 03-02-2014 10:23 PM

Thanks for sharing

That's awesome that your daughter likes baseball...something you two can really share for a long time together. I'm sure that brings you two closer too. Does she get into collecting cards/memorabilia?

joeadcock 03-02-2014 10:40 PM

Nope, just a piece of cardboard to her. :p

atx840 03-02-2014 10:49 PM

My daughter's Monster # is now at 23. Last month she split her bday money on a lightsaber (and one for her brother) and three cards.

She picks em from a beater stack I have and we just tuck her bounty back in the old piggy bank. :D

She's a diehard Seahawks & Calgary Flames fan...no clue on bb.

http://i.imgur.com/HUpeFCW.jpg

frankbmd 03-02-2014 11:03 PM

Chelsea Being Chelsea

1 Attachment(s)
Brief fling at corporate softball, but the gene is in their somewhere.

freakhappy 03-02-2014 11:29 PM

No daughters here, but...

2 Attachment(s)
My oldest started playing ball last year at age 5 and his little brother is even more of a sports fan. I just have to get them both to start wearing ball caps instead of "happy" caps :eek:

Chris, cute girl...keep her collecting the cardboard!!! :D

joeadcock 03-03-2014 04:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike, happy caps are fine. Shows how innocent they are. To maintain the innocence. Envy all who have them young still. Such a great time......one thing I did get to have her do on Fanfest was throw the baseball on the field. I took couple of gloves and a ball and her and her friend threw the baseball for awhile.............my last pic of that day to show............Chris, great picture. Dont have any pictures like that when my kids were small..........Frank, honestly hope I can get a shot of one of my girls playing baseball in the future also................

Leon 03-03-2014 07:35 AM

I am jealous. I have a 17yr old daughter who has no interest in baseball at all, except her boyfriend has played on the HS team. Thanks for sharing the pics guys...a bunch of cute girls there!!

team-of-rivals 03-03-2014 10:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Love the thread....No kids for me but a few years ago, my niece and nephew lost their parents in a vehicle accident. My parents and I have happily embraced the blessing of Kylee and Jaxon, amazing little kids. Jaxon hasn't quite come around to baseball as of yet....I hold out hope! ;) Kylee on the other hand, not only likes baseball but for two years has jumped at the opportunity to be a catcher of all things! Quite the hitter from the left side as well! Anyway, after seeing all the great pictures, I wanted to share my angels!

rjackson44 03-03-2014 10:54 AM

just superb the weather stinks in nyc ,,these pics are awesome thanks man:)

novakjr 03-03-2014 11:11 AM

8 Attachment(s)
These are from a year and a half ago. Didn't get to a game last year. But the kids always have a great time at the ballgames.. Chloe also has a crush on Jason Kipnis. Hates when we tease her about it..

gregr2 03-03-2014 11:19 AM

My wife bought me tickets to next week's spring training game between the Yankees and the Nationals. Unfortunately a work issue has come up for her and she can't go with me. I think I'm going to take my 8 year old daughter out of school and take her with me!! :)

joeadcock 03-22-2014 10:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Spring Training coming to an end. Rays season starts next monday, the 31st. Saw Rays/Orioles today in Port Charlotte. Last pic, daughter and farewell to the Grapefruit League 2014(as the groundskeepers fix up the field at end of game).

ibuysportsephemera 03-23-2014 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by team-of-rivals (Post 1248971)
Love the thread....No kids for me but a few years ago, my niece and nephew lost their parents in a vehicle accident. My parents and I have happily embraced the blessing of Kylee and Jaxon, amazing little kids. Jaxon hasn't quite come around to baseball as of yet....I hold out hope! ;) Kylee on the other hand, not only likes baseball but for two years has jumped at the opportunity to be a catcher of all things! Quite the hitter from the left side as well! Anyway, after seeing all the great pictures, I wanted to share my angels!

I missed this post the first time around....great that you are able to be there for the kids!!!!! All the best to you and your parents.

Jeff

ibuysportsephemera 03-23-2014 04:45 AM

Last night was monumental....my 21 year old daughter watched me draft my Net54 fantasy baseball team (for about 20 minutes) while my 18 year old daughter watched March Madness with her boyfriend upstairs. My daughters typically have no interest in sports.

Jeff

bn2cardz 04-01-2014 01:57 PM

I thought of this thread after a conversation with my 3 year old daughter last night.

The REA catalog arrived yesterday. Last year she wanted to sit and read through it with me, but this year she was content to just let me read through it as she came by every once in a while and look at whatever page I was on. She also got very excited when she saw another auction catalog came and yelled to me "you have another one." I confirmed this to her and she said "You like baseball dad?" I replied "do I?" "Yes" she said "so do I." About that time I got to the Lot with the Lizzie Arlington photo. So I called her over and showed her the woman playing baseball. She got very excited saying "When i am a boy I want to play baseball." I explained that she wasn't going to become a boy but she could still play baseball. "I can get a pretty dress like her and play baseball?" she said while pointing at the picture of Lizzie. I asked if she wanted to play baseball in a dress, and she said "yes a dress with an A like her for Amie (her name), and I can throw the ball to you and you catch it then I hit the ball"

I am glad that she is enjoying the idea of playing and hope that she and I can continue to bond over the game as she grows, but at three years old I am excited she can still find it fun to talk to me about baseball between talking to me about "my little ponies" (Maybe that is the secret, I show interest in her stuff so she shows interest in mine).

joeadcock 04-01-2014 03:45 PM

Andy

I feel you are lucky to have those kind of interactions with your daughter at that age. If she shows interest, hopefully that will continue. Good to see daughters involved in the sport of Baseball. I am so glad I got into playing baseball in the mid 70's with my brother. Though it ended after high school, have never lost my love for the sport.

When I grew up in Miami, there was no professional Baseball until I was gone from the city. Only went once to see a Minor league game that was played there.

Did follow the Miami Hurricanes with Neal Heaton(while I was living there). Jose Canseco was around but I didnt know him from anyone else.

You have so many years left with her. Hope you guys have one heck of a great relationship growing up.

If my daughter at that age had said that to me, probably would try and find a small outfit like that one to get for her and take a picture and put the 2 side by side in a frame(with a facimile of the Lizzie Arlington photo).

tedzan 04-01-2014 07:49 PM

Daughters-R-Us (BB nuts)

My two daughters are grown up now. I got them interested in BB when they were young in the early 1970's. Also, taught them to play Tennis when they were 5.
They were top tennis players in High School....and, still play a competitive game.

They rooted for the Yankees (and still do)....so, in 1973 we went to Yankee Stadium to see an Oldtimer's game. In that game, Mickey Mantle hit a HR off Whitey
Ford. It was Mickey's last HR at the Stadium. What a treat for my daughters.

When Debbie and Zoe were "teenie-boppers", they collected BB cards of their favorites.....Reggie Jackson, Thurman Munson, Craig Nettles, "Catfish" Hunter, Billy
Martin, etc. Their enthusiasm collecting BB cards; and, the exciting 1977 World Series motivated me to drive up to my folks home in Hillside (NJ) to search for my
original BB card collection (1947 - 1952). What a treasure find, my Mom and Aunt stored my cards in the attic of our house. And, the rest is history.
I was very fortunate, thanks to my daughters.

Debbie and children, Kurtis and Madison
http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...raPhoto100.jpg.http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...sMadison50.jpg

Zoe and son, Ron
http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...kePlacid50.jpg

And yes, my three Grandchildren are also Yankees fans.

TED Z

bn2cardz 04-01-2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeadcock (Post 1261270)
Andy

I feel you are lucky to have those kind of interactions with your daughter at that age. If she shows interest, hopefully that will continue. Good to see daughters involved in the sport of Baseball. I am so glad I got into playing baseball in the mid 70's with my brother. Though it ended after high school, have never lost my love for the sport.

When I grew up in Miami, there was no professional Baseball until I was gone from the city. Only went once to see a Minor league game that was played there.

Did follow the Miami Hurricanes with Neal Heaton(while I was living there). Jose Canseco was around but I didnt know him from anyone else.

You have so many years left with her. Hope you guys have one heck of a great relationship growing up.

If my daughter at that age had said that to me, probably would try and find a small outfit like that one to get for her and take a picture and put the 2 side by side in a frame(with a facimile of the Lizzie Arlington photo).

I showed my wife the photo tonight and she and I were having a conversation about trying to do the outfit. We had a discussion on what we thought the color of the A and stripes were on the outfit. I had just assumed red, but I really don't know. My wife thought blue could be nice also. Either way we have already started putting thought into it.

autograf 04-01-2014 08:14 PM

Two big stepsons (22/18) and two little daughters (8/4)......0% of whom care about baseball or cards.....

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-YE...IMAGE_1189.jpg

team-of-rivals 04-01-2014 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera (Post 1257460)
I missed this post the first time around....great that you are able to be there for the kids!!!!! All the best to you and your parents.

Jeff

Thank you for the kind words, Jeff. God Bless.

joeadcock 04-02-2014 10:04 AM

Andy

If you dont mind posting a picture if you and your wife do the project with your daughter. Can open this thread up again at that time

.................................................. .......................................

Tom
The guys are a bit old, but the 2 young daughters are still "MOLDEABLE" if such a words exists. In to the great sport of baseball and cards. Clean sport I assume God approves of.

hammer 04-02-2014 10:22 AM

Great stories and posts.