Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   eBay Best Offer (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=182998)

shernan30 02-08-2014 05:02 PM

eBay Best Offer

I have a question when it comes to making offers on cards on eBay that are very over priced. I've come across 2 cards I need for a type set, but the BIN prices are 4X what the cards are actually worth. There is Best Offer available on the cards, but would it offend someone to bring an offer so much lower than the BIN price?

Example:
Current BIN is $125
Vintage Card Prices and Beckett list the card around $30

Walking away is not a problem, but I've been looking for them for a little while now.

ullmandds 02-08-2014 05:06 PM

I have purchased 3-4 cards over the years that had very high BIN's on them...getting them for less than 1/2 BIN usually...but these were higher buck cards.

What's the worst case scenario? They say no...or maybe cuss you out!!!

HRBAKER 02-08-2014 05:07 PM

If someone prices a card at 4x what it's worth - then they should expect offers significantly lower. Keep in mind though it's the seller's card to price and it may truly be worth more to others than it is to you.

vintagetoppsguy 02-08-2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1238810)
...or maybe cuss you out!!!

Is Dan the seller? :D

thetruthisoutthere 02-08-2014 05:10 PM

Personally, I love the Buy It Now/Best Offer option.

I've submitted numerous Best Offers that were surprisingly accepted.

The majority of my purchases are Buy It Now/Best Offer.

And although I don't sell much, the majority of my auctions are Buy It Now/Best Offer.

I never feel insulted by low offers. It's part of the territory.

rainier2004 02-08-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 1238816)
I never feel insulted by low offers. It's part of the territory.

Yuup...

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 02-08-2014 06:01 PM

I never hesitate to make what I think is a fair offer regardless of price. I also never get upset if it is rejected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thetruthisoutthere 02-08-2014 06:45 PM

Ditto.

doug.goodman 02-08-2014 06:52 PM

I make offers for what I think is a fair price, if it's accepted, great. If it's not accepted, no problem. If the seller is "offended" f*** him.

I made an offer a couple days ago for about 20% of the listed price, which I thought to be fair, and it was accepted, so I assume that means the seller thought it to be fair, also.

I think that quite often the prices listed as "buy-it-now" could also quite correctly be referred to as "please-god-let-somebody-get-drunk-enough-or-be-desperate-enough-to-hit-the BIN-button".

Doug

ibuysportsephemera 02-08-2014 08:32 PM

You can thank me later...

Many sellers (my self included) have Best Offers on their store items. I set the least amount that I will take and every offer below that is automatically declined. After the 3rd offer is rejected, you will not be able to make another offer. There is a way around this though. If you include a note with the offer, it gets sent to the seller, even if it doesn't meet the automatic settings.

I am not one of those sellers that set very high best offer prices, although I admit that I do put a little bit extra on top. This way I have room to accept reasonable offers and the buyer feels that he got a better deal.

Jeff

bobbyw8469 02-08-2014 08:48 PM

I do the same thing Jeff. I set my prices a little higher than what All Star Cards pays for cards on their BUY LIST. You have to, due to the fees Ebay charges. If they can't meet that number, then I would just as soon sell to them without any fees! I HATE FEES!!!! And they just raised most of their buy prices, so I have to get more than what they are offering.

jdeptula 02-08-2014 09:07 PM

What about BINs that don't explicitly list 'Make an Offer' as an option? Would you guys consider it rude to make / receive an offer on a straight BIN?

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

freakhappy 02-08-2014 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdeptula (Post 1238922)
What about BINs that don't explicitly list 'Make an Offer' as an option? Would you guys consider it rude to make / receive an offer on a straight BIN?

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't believe it is in bad taste to do so...and I'm not saying that just because I've done it several times :D It's happened to me as a seller as well, working when I want to sell the card quick or if it's reasonable offer. There are times I start my listings on eBay a little high, so if someone asks for a lower price, it won't be a big deal to negotiate.

I would say that out of all of the times that I have asked if the seller would take a lower price for the card, about half of the time they oblige and we negotiate...shoot, it's happened on here quite a bit as well. In my eyes, it's just negotiating and if the seller doesn't want to budge, that's totally cool...all they have to say is no...simple enough, right? And not once has a seller been mad at me for asking.

frankb22 02-09-2014 06:40 AM

I just assume that when "make an offer" is available that the seller
knows the BIN price is too high for the card. There is a raw Evers Drum
in poor condition with a BIN of $74,999 listed. Is that seller really going
to be concerned if someone offers a fraction of that? Don't think so.
I just offer what I'm willing to pay. If they have auto-decline set it doesn't
take up a second of their time. No reason to get bent out of shape.

novakjr 02-09-2014 06:49 AM

Never feel concerned about percentages of BIN when it comes to best offers. As many have stated, the BIN are usually inflated, under the assumption that it will lead people to make higher offers, simply due to the insulting percentage mentality.. I've made plenty of seemingly ridiculous offers(in terms of the BIN price), that I was pleasantly surprised when accepted..

As far as items with no Best Offer. I've made plenty of offers through email on those as well, and more often than not was able to work something out. Same for auctions that ended. Seen plenty of items go unsold, and simply messaged a reasonable offer for the item after the fact. Seller usually lists it with a BIN at that price and sends a link to the auction for me to go buy it..

Searching through completed, unsold(unrelisted) auctions, is one of my favorite ways to shop...

pawpawdiv9 02-09-2014 04:36 PM

Doesnt Ebay still make you add 30% to your list price for using the BIN option?

Runscott 02-11-2014 10:22 AM

If they have 'make an offer', then they should have a realistic 'reject below' and/or 'accept above' amount. If you offer them something insultingly low, think of it as a teaching moment for them - you are actually helping.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 02-11-2014 10:28 AM

It reminds me of the time I bought a card off ebay with a best offer. Sometime after the sale we found out that we were both net54 members. He said that he would've given me a better deal had he known. Likewise I would have rather saved him the fees. Funny how those things happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk