Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1896 Harry Wright Day ribbon (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=179609)

JeremyW 12-01-2013 12:49 PM

1896 Harry Wright Day ribbon

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure if this is worthy of it's own thread, but I wanted to show a new addition to my collection & hopefully get some ideas for safely removing the ribbon from the scrapbook page. The ribbon, which I'm guessing is silk, measures 2" X 7" & the photo is approximately 1 1/2" X 2". The ribbon appears to be glued/pasted onto the page at six different spots. I've been thinking about wetting the tip of a q-tip with water & gently wetting the glue spots to see if it loosens. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

barrysloate 12-01-2013 12:53 PM

That's a gorgeous piece Jeremy, with a great photo of Wright no less. Never saw that before. Wow!

JeremyW 12-01-2013 01:10 PM

Thanks, Barry. I've never seen another one either. I've seen a few of the HW Day programs in auction archives & would like to find one as a companion piece someday.

BigJJ 12-01-2013 01:14 PM

Great piece. Incredible photo!

Given value, I would contact - Paper Conservation Studio, Alan Firkser, in New York. Top paper expert for the big guys here-sothebys,christies, etc. 212-315-2828

GaryPassamonte 12-01-2013 01:48 PM

Nice, Jeremy.

bgar3 12-01-2013 02:50 PM

great piece jeremy.

ramram 12-02-2013 09:31 AM

I wouldn't remove it unless the acid in the paper is causing deterioration (which is possible). Does the newspaper article describe the Harry Wright day? Trim the paper as needed and frame it as is. No need to possibly cause damage when it really needs to be affixed to something anyway.

Rob M.

JeremyW 12-02-2013 04:05 PM

Thanks for the nice comments, guys. Also appreciate the advice, Rob & Jon.

baseballart 12-02-2013 04:43 PM

Jeremy

I would get the advice of a professional paper conservator before you frame it. If there is potential of acidic paper being present, steps need to be taken to correct this.

Max

JeremyW 12-02-2013 04:54 PM

Max- Thanks for the advice & I have to assume that the paper, being from 1896-?, is acidic, which is what scares me the most. I'm starting to think sending it to a conservationist is the best idea.

CarltonHendricks 12-02-2013 06:37 PM

Congrats

That is just very cool...no question...What are the pursuit and execution details? i.e. how'd you find such a great piece!...if you can say without divulging your valued sources. Nevertheless congrats on a great pick up.

perezfan 12-02-2013 07:16 PM

Great find and many congrats!

Be careful with that silk ribbon. One little pull of the thread, and the woven silk can unravel. I've seen it happen on occasion. It may be best to remove the visible paper but leave the backing alone (where it is adheared).

A conservator should definitely take a look to determine the next step, and whether paper removal is warranted. Either way... a wonderful and unique find!

baseballart 12-02-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyW (Post 1212696)
Max- Thanks for the advice & I have to assume that the paper, being from 1896-?, is acidic, which is what scares me the most. I'm starting to think sending it to a conservationist is the best idea.

If I recall correctly, 19th century paper has a much lower acidity than20th century paper. Not sure where the cut off was though

Max

BigJJ 12-02-2013 09:18 PM

I agree with Mark with regard to might wanting to remove only visible paper and not the adhered parts.

JeremyW 12-03-2013 02:51 PM

Thanks again, guys. I appreciate the advice & plan on contacting a conservator before I do anything.

steve B 12-04-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyW (Post 1212990)
Thanks again, guys. I appreciate the advice & plan on contacting a conservator before I do anything.

That's the way to go.

The paper is browned and looks crumbling/brittle. So it is acidic and degrading. Eventually it will brown the ribbon more than it already has.

On a cheap item like a local fair ribbon I'd give it a go myself, and I've done a couple with really good results.

But this is important enough to take to a real conservator. Especially since the ribbon has a photo attached. The combination of three materials and probably two different adhesives makes it fairly complicated.

Steve B