Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   anyone here not collect cards? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=178128)

JoeyF1981 11-01-2013 03:55 PM

anyone here not collect cards?

Just curious if theres anyone on here that doesnt collect cards and why you choose not to?

MooseDog 11-01-2013 05:00 PM

I don't actively collect cards, but I do have some in my collection, from buying collections, etc.

Early on, I found I liked memorabilia better, mostly because everyone else collected cards and there was less competition for memorabilia.

Always been counter to the norm, I guess.

earlywynnfan 11-01-2013 05:46 PM

I did as a kid, but after I sold off my collection to buy my first car I never really got back into it. Memorabilia has so much more in terms of display factor (IMHO). I don't even know how to display 8x10 without taking up all my wall space.

Ken

SikSyko 11-01-2013 07:06 PM

I pick up cards when I can get a good deal or find something I really stands out, but I mostly collect autographs.

khkco4bls 11-01-2013 07:53 PM

I don't. Love the feel of equipment and memorabilia. Just a piece of cardboard just never did it for me. Plus the display factor

Shoeless Moe 11-01-2013 08:02 PM

No cards for me!

1 year!

perezfan 11-01-2013 08:15 PM

That's how I started out, but no longer.... unless you count the T3s.

To me those straddle the line between cards and memorabilia, anyway.

gashouse34 11-01-2013 08:17 PM

Great Topic. I flat out just don't like baseball cards...I much prefer the memorabilia side of it. And, as a bargain hunter its much easier to find memorabilia at a good price as opposed to baseball cards imho. I'm sure there are baseball card bargains to be found but it just seems like everyone always overvalues their baseball cards when they sell at like Flea Markets, Auctions, Antique stores, garage sales etc... I'm not talking about the knowledgeable collectors on here I just am referring to sellers thinking their cards are worth a ton...especially newer 1980s to present cards. When friends or family ask what I collect I always tell them "Anything Vintage except for Baseball Cards".

baseballart 11-01-2013 08:22 PM

I have a limited number of cards. I only collect Vancouver peanut and popcorn cards, plus a few western Canada oddball cards. I have the Vancouver and Victoria obaks, but have no desire to upgrade. I must admit however that if a Vancouver or Victoria T4 ever surfaced, I would be there slugging it outwits Kawika. Books however are my true interest, alongwithwestern Canada ephemera

JoeyF1981 11-01-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gashousegang_1 (Post 1202123)
Great Topic. I flat out just don't like baseball cards...I much prefer the memorabilia side of it. And, as a bargain hunter its much easier to find memorabilia at a good price as opposed to baseball cards imho. I'm sure there are baseball card bargains to be found but it just seems like everyone always overvalues their baseball cards when they sell at like Flea Markets, Auctions, Antique stores, garage sales etc... I'm not talking about the knowledgeable collectors on here I just am referring to sellers thinking their cards are worth a ton...especially newer 1980s to present cards. When friends or family ask what I collect I always tell them "Anything Vintage except for Baseball Cards".

I figured Id ask since it seems like the majority of people are into cards. I personally like both, but feel that having memorabilia is more enjoyable to collect. Theres so many cool things out there to collect and the market now especially with newer cards is ridiculous. Theres all these 1/1's that are going for thousands more than vintage cards of proven hall of famers. I recently got hooked on vintage photos and really appreciate the photography side of it and knowing that I have a actual original photo from that era

JoeyF1981 11-01-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1202045)
I did as a kid, but after I sold off my collection to buy my first car I never really got back into it. Memorabilia has so much more in terms of display factor (IMHO). I don't even know how to display 8x10 without taking up all my wall space.

Ken

Totally agree!

71buc 11-01-2013 09:06 PM

I am a (ho)arder. I love it all and I am easily distracted by all things baseball. I collect pre and post war cards, HOF autographs, original news photos, baseball advertising, baseball movie posters, baseball periodicals, Heartlands, pins, a few game used items, and all things Pittsburgh Pirates especially the 1971 variety:D As a result I have nothing of any real significance in my collection but I am a most satiated collector. I suppose I am the Fred G. Sandford of the Baseball collecting world.

murphusa 11-01-2013 09:34 PM

Never for me, never understood why you would spend money to but them then flip them in school yard so I never got into them

Lived a block from the field and just brought home the balls, bats and gloves left behind

jerseygary 11-01-2013 09:55 PM

I draw cards but haven't collected them since I was a kid, besides a few '33 Goudey's, Diamond Stars and T-206's people have given me over the years.

JoeyF1981 11-01-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1202138)
I am a (ho)arder. I love it all and I am easily distracted by all things baseball. I collect pre and post war cards, HOF autographs, original news photos, baseball advertising, baseball movie posters, baseball periodicals, Heartlands, pins, a few game used items, and all things Pittsburgh Pirates especially the 1971 variety:D As a result I have nothing of any real significance in my collection but I am a most satiated collector. I suppose I am the Fred G. Sandford of the Baseball collecting world.

lol...movin on up!

71buc 11-01-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyF1981 (Post 1202159)
lol...movin on up!

That was George Jefferson he was the one with the money:D

JoeyF1981 11-01-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1202168)
That was George Jefferson he was the one with the money:D

Lol...I must be real tired...can we just act like I didnt say that...lol

parker1b2 11-02-2013 06:43 AM

Not a card guy unless they are autographed. I do have a handful from the 50s that were my fathers on display. Cards did get me started in my collecting, but when I went to card shows in the late 80s as a kid with my friends I would be more interested in who was there signing. Then I would wind up trading my cards for my friends autographs. We took a family trip in 1991 or 92 to Chicago when they were still tearing comiskey park down and I was able to buy a brick at the white sox clubhouse store. After that I was hooked on memorabilia and ended my card collecting.

39special 11-02-2013 06:56 AM

I don't collect cards as much as I used to.I really got hooked on memorabilia
about a year ago.There is some neat stuff out there!

ibuysportsephemera 11-02-2013 08:09 AM

Right after college (1986) my friend and I made a few large card purchases and were dealers for a few years. It was fun, but I realized that everyone has a price guide for cards so it was difficult to find really good deals. I started collecting yearbooks and programs because I found that I could get much better deals. I also loved that all the players were represented as opposed to a player for each card. The other thing that really swayed me was condition....drop a card and ding the corner, value drops...drop a publication and ding a corner not so much. That lead to all kinds of publications and eventually any kind of sports ephemera. I didn't stick to one team or sport so I am (and still to this day) always able to find something to buy at Flea Markets, Antique Stores, Card Shops, etc. 25 plus years later, my collection is around 15 k to 17.5 k books, publications, photos, tickets and unique paper items. I am really glad that I made the switch, it has been much more satisfying and cheaper!

Jeff

Runscott 11-02-2013 11:00 AM

I buy and sell them, but don't really collect cards much anymore. Mostly into handwritten letters and photos. This hobby is mostly a social thing for me, and I find the photo and autograph discussions more intellectually stimulating.

vintagesportflips 11-02-2013 03:08 PM

I'll buy prewar cards if I come across them cheaply, but don't collect them at all. Like most here, I collected cards as a kid, but when I got back into collecting sports items as an adult, it was all memorabilia for me. I love the display quality of collecting memorabilia.