Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Chat is back (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=177838)

Leon 10-26-2013 08:47 AM

Chat is back

Hey folks
Thanks to our member Antho.ny N.ex we now have a chat room. He did most of the heavy lifting to get it done and was also very, very generous to our forum. Brian McQueen gets an assist too. Thanks to those 2 gentlemen for helping to improve our experience on Net54baseball. I have only briefly gone in there but it looks nice. I am sure it will get a lot of use...

pawpawdiv9 10-26-2013 09:36 AM

Yep, this is the chat i was referring to you Leon last time i pm'ed you. We use it all the time in (nasrac.com) Works good, sometimes you get a lag. Overall we enjoy it. We pay a subscription over there for ours. Dont know if your on the free-trial or not. Great job guys on establishing this.

queencitysportscards 10-26-2013 10:11 AM

New Chat

Wow...I just logged in...very cool. I look forward to meeting more members on the chat! Well done guys!!

Leon 10-26-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queencitysportscards (Post 1199499)
Wow...I just logged in...very cool. I look forward to meeting more members on the chat! Well done guys!!

And just to add another quick note. we are in somewhat of a beta testing for the next few days, so to speak. So there could be some minor kinks to work out. We have had a report of a Mac issue and are looking into it.

update- looks like the Mac issue had to do with java and or restarting a computer or opening a new browser. Problem solved.

frankbmd 10-26-2013 10:43 AM

Mac is fine now. If you have to add a Java applet, you must reboot before it will work.

I'll be available in the chat Room when online to help with the roll out and to verify function for other members.

GoldenAge50s 10-26-2013 12:03 PM

Is there any downside to adding this Java applet to my computer?

Rollingstone206 10-26-2013 12:36 PM

Griffins 10-26-2013 03:19 PM

Fred, both Safari and Firefox say the current java applet has security issues. So about a year ago all of their updates disabled it, and that is typically the issue with anyone not being able to get into this chat module.
I've never had problems but it seems like anything can be hacked these days, even the phones of German prime ministers. I have not found it to be something I worry about, but keep an eye on everything just in case.
Has everyone been able to register and get in the chat lobby so far without problems?

deucetwins 10-26-2013 03:39 PM

Download the Java app. Click all the "Run" (s). Watch where it asks you to download and install the toolbars. Restart your computer. I was able to use my Net54 login and password. I'm on Windows 8 and using IE. No issues at all.

Deertick 10-26-2013 04:05 PM

I was able to enter earlier, but now it fashes "success" then says invalid username or password.

Griffins 10-26-2013 04:10 PM

yup, it was allowing anything for a user name and password. Like Leon said, we're still debugging and it will be a few hours before it's running with legit passwords and user names. Sorry for the delay.

Leon 10-26-2013 04:46 PM

Quick update. For now we have disabled the chat so we can get it fixed. We need some s/w and have a help ticket into the provider. But it could be a day or two before we get it. We we well on our way to having it though and it will be soon. Sorry for the slight inconvenience. Most good things take some time.....Thanks again to Anthony and Brian for the help.

Leon 10-27-2013 12:09 PM

We believe the kinks are worked out of the chat room. It looks to be working fine and is operational. If anyone sees a bug or kink please let me know. Huge Thanks again to Anthony and also an assist to Brian for the help. Our community helps one another quite a bit. Even if we do bicker like families sometimes. :eek:

Deertick 10-27-2013 01:48 PM

OK. I believe you must create a user account. It would not take my existing username and password without registering. So I decided to use Runscott as my chat name.

Leon 10-27-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deertick (Post 1199896)
OK. I believe you must create a user account. It would not take my existing username and password without registering. So I decided to use Runscott as my chat name.

That's pretty funny...yeah, you might have to create an account so we'll keep an eye out for any funny business :). There is a security check and balance in the system, I believe, but we'll be watching anyway.

Griffins 10-27-2013 02:34 PM

Correct, you do have to register for the chatroom. It should send you a verification email that you click on and you're good to go.
Remember, if you're on a mac, you have to activate the java plug in to access chat, and to do that you have to relaunch the browser after activating it.
If this proves confusing I'll post a step by step (think it's 2 steps) to do that.

Runscott 10-27-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1199509)
Mac is fine now. If you have to add a Java applet, you must reboot before it will work.

I'll be available in the chat Room when online to help with the roll out and to verify function for other members.

I added the applet, rebooted, get a black empty screen.

Okay, tried with Firefox and it worked (Safari did not).

Griffins 10-28-2013 12:57 AM

Scott, I got the blackscreen on Safari as well, but after a few minutes it loaded fine, and then quickly after that. Firefox was much quicker.