Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   More "Dealers at the National" Questions? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=173838)

familytoad 08-09-2013 07:05 PM

More "Dealers at the National" Questions?

Ok, I will admit...I haven't been to a National. Its even been awhile since I was at any "Big" show.

My questions...especially after looking at the pictures and You Tube videos of the National...

How did the dealers do selling this year?
Collectors seem to think the show was great, but I hear that a lot of the greatness is based on the social, interactive nature of the Show. Anymore, buying cards is easy online and maybe cheaper.
Do dealers save some of their inventory for the Show and sell it all then?

How does a dealer compete among the the T206, 33 Goudey and 1950's and 60's Topps customers when there are dozens of each card available down every aisle? Are there price wars? Just in the videos I watched, table after table offered so many similar cards. I can imagine anyone looking for a T206 Piedmont Chappy Charles had several dozen to pick from, and if you needed a 1956 Hank Aaron, there were 100 to choose from.

Any dealers here knock it out of the park, and can't wait for next year just because of the sales success?

Thanks for your commentary.

Leon 08-09-2013 07:15 PM

I had very good sales but I go with low expectations. Also, the things I have, parallel my collection somewhat, so not any other dealers were likely to have the cards I did. However, admittedly I mainly go to the national for the social aspect. I see hundreds of friends that know me and I remember tens of names :confused:. I have sort of a phobia about remembering names which isn't at all good with what I do in the hobby......oh well....

Jantz 08-09-2013 07:33 PM

Brian

I know one dealer who did well. He told me that he had around 200 T206s and that they were all bought up (except for 2) by other dealers on Tuesday before the show started.

Jantz

travrosty 08-09-2013 07:46 PM

I think if you go there to really sell cards and move inventory for a fair price so you can turn it around and buy/sell other cards i think you will do alright. but if you have family heirlooms that you price for 2-3 times the going rate, they will sit. But some dealers go for different reasons than others.

ullmandds 08-09-2013 09:28 PM

While I didn't buy much this year...the few things I DID buy I was able to negotiate 20-35% of asking price in most cases. Most dealers were looking to sell...even some dealers with super high buck/rare cards were dealing!

E93 08-09-2013 10:22 PM

Every dealer I spoke with seemed to have a really good show. FYI, there was a serious paucity of T206s from my perspective. I came it with a want list of 10 and only found three of them.
JimB

Runscott 08-09-2013 10:26 PM

Dealers who sell on ebay didn't have to deal with ebay fees, paypal fees or shipping costs. That's a lot of negotiating room. I can see why dealers are adamant about not missing the National - in the future I'll certainly show up every year that I possibly can.

drcy 08-09-2013 10:27 PM

True story. I volunteer at a busy playhouse and last night a woman there said to me "I just had electroshock therapy treatment yesterday and will probably forget you name." I said "Don't worry, I'm not good with names either."

the 'stache 08-09-2013 10:41 PM

I don't take it personally when people forget my name, and I hope that people I meet, should I have a momentary brain fart, will forgive me for doing the same.

If I don't see a person on a consistent basis, it's just too easy to forget. I've got so much useless stuff crammed in my head taking up space. I blame it on my A.D.D.

drcy 08-09-2013 10:45 PM

Often when you meet someone, especially in a crowded converse filled situation, the last thing you do is try and memorize the person's name. That's why you usually have to ask for the name again.

Besides, I have no need or great desire to know everyone's name. There some peoples' names that I know that I'd have problem forgetting.

Runscott 08-09-2013 10:50 PM

Someone could go through Brett's fish-eye table photos and add names - that would help. No need to label me, Chris or Frank - I remember us.

Tony Gordon 08-10-2013 12:10 AM

I always do well at the National because it usually draws a huge crowd and everyone is there to spend money which is unlike any other show. While there may be a dozen tables with the same cards at the National, these cards often vary in condition and price, giving collectors many more options. Also, each dealer has his own unique selling style so customers aren't just choosing a card, they're also choosing the right dealer that fits their buying style. As far as buying goes, I actually find buying easier and cheaper at shows than online. Along those same lines, I have a buying problem and have a constant influx of inventory so I never need to save anything just for National.

toppcat 08-10-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E93 (Post 1169164)
Every dealer I spoke with seemed to have a really good show. FYI, there was a serious paucity of T206s from my perspective. I came it with a want list of 10 and only found three of them.
JimB

I heard the same and also had about a 30% success rate, although with a far easier and much longer list than Bloomie's.

brob28 08-11-2013 07:33 AM

FWIW - I spoke with several dealers yesterday at a local show all of whom said this past national was their best. Good to hear.

tbob 08-11-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1169175)
Someone could go through Brett's fish-eye table photos and add names - that would help. No need to label me, Chris or Frank - I remember us.

Scott- Are Brett's photos posted somewhere here or on the internet? Link?
tbob