Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Baseball Magazine Question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=171672)

quinnsryche 07-02-2013 11:35 AM

Baseball Magazine Question

Does anyone know if there is a checklist online of the photos and articles contained in Baseball Magazine (esp. the 1920' & 30's)?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Runscott 07-05-2013 09:58 AM

Tony, I haven't heard of anything, but I like the idea. I have most issues from 1908-1916 and will make a point of at least documenting the articles in each.

quinnsryche 07-06-2013 07:38 AM

Thanks Scott, that would be great to see.

Duluth Eskimo 07-06-2013 08:57 PM

Doesn't Phil Regli's book on sports illustrated and other baseball magazines mention from front, inside, and back cover subjects for Baseball magazine? Not necessarily photos, but at least a checklist.

quinnsryche 07-07-2013 07:25 PM

Found a copy on ebay. Just need someone to confirm that it does have the info as stated in the previous post.
Thanks!

Duluth Eskimo 07-07-2013 11:17 PM

I apologize, the list is in Robert Crestohl and David Alexander's book The Baseball and Sports Publication price guide. The one I have is from 1998 or so and is edition # 2. It doesn't have all of the detail for the early ones, but it has cover subjects for every issue and notable happenings. Someone probably has their own notes, but this is the best printed list that you can find. The cover has a bunch of magazines and programs on it. I bought it from one of them back in the day at a national. It is well done.

thecatspajamas 07-07-2013 11:29 PM

Both are available on Amazon, though I had never heard of them until you mentioned them.

One review of the Regli book states that it covers "every issue of SI along with sports covers of Time, Newsweek and other various magazines." I don't see any reviews for Crestohl and Alexander's book though.

Jason, any chance you have both of them and can give a run-down of what is catalogued in each? I had no idea something like this was out there, and it sounds like they may both be great resources (perhaps in tandem?). Just wondering if they contain the same kind of information, and how much overlap there is in the publications that each covers.

Duluth Eskimo 07-09-2013 10:55 AM

I have both of them and have had previously released issues as well. They are both very well done, but also very dated. The publication market has cooled significantly, but I still enjoy publications / programs very much and I think they are very undervalued. The newest version of each is worth picking up if you like publications. Both have very good info for cover subjects, articles, etc. even if you are an advanced collector. Both Regli and Crestohl / Alexander are experts in the field of publications. I have learned a lot from both books / guides.

Duluth Eskimo 07-09-2013 11:01 AM

As far as a rundown of what is in each. Both have the same publications / programs from most sports, but I think the Crestohl / Alexander guide is more detailed. Regli's guide is good in different ways and is more detailed in other things. I'm sure both can had on the cheap so I would pick them up if you have an interest in those kind of things. Crestohl / Alexander have everything from baseball to auto racing magazines and programs. Covers, articles, etc. Regli's guide is more baseball / football and sports illustrated / magazines leaning and well done in it's own way.