Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Autograph Opinions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=170003)

Big Six 06-05-2013 12:23 PM

Autograph Opinions

I know the autograph forum can be like the wild west sometimes, what with strong personalities, personal agendas both pro- and anti-TPG and just the overall subjective nature of deeming an autograph real or fake...frankly, unless you saw it signed with your own two eyes, it will always be just an opinion.

That said, there are some on this side of the board who offer their own expertise, free of cost to us board members, on whether or not an item in our collection (or one that we are considering purchasing) is real or fake. And to these people, I say thank you (you know who you are!).

While thanking these folks for doing what they do, the premise of my post is regarding some etiquette that I think needs to be remembered. This isn't being written to call anyone out and I'm not looking to make any enemies or cause trouble. I'm just trying to ensure that we as a community don't ruin a good thing and express our appreciation to those folks who lend their expertise to our own personal collecting.

First, no one owes us their opinion for free. Anyone commenting on the authenticity of an autograph is doing it because they are trying to help. If you don't agree with their opinion, either don't post looking for input or just ignore it and move on.

Secondly, try to show you've done a little due diligence of your own. Do some research, buy Ron K's book, and invest a little in your own understanding of what looks good and what doesn't. At then end of the day, it's better to know how to fish than being given the fish every time by someone else. At some point, you may be the one people come to requesting an opinion and I think that would be pretty neat!

Lastly, and the one that really irks me, is don't blatantly use these folks as a free resource and then go out and point out that PSA's Quick Opinion agreed/disagreed with their assessment. These folks on the board are offering their professional opinion to you for free...telling them you are willing to pay PSA (or another TPG) but not them is rubbing their nose in it and will ultimately lead to less of a willingness to lend their expertise in the future.

We have a great community here with lots of knowledgeable people who are willing to help. Seeing Jim Stinson pull back on his participation with the board really made me sad because he has a TON of insight and experience that can't be replaced. And damn I miss his stories!!!

Anyway, just remember, no one owes you anything and re we all have this hobby in common. Let's continue to make this a great place to come together and not forget that we're all learning something new about autographs every day...

As Leon always says...Happy Collecting!!!

mr2686 06-05-2013 03:14 PM

I agree 100 percent. I hate seeing the same people asking over and over again on the same subject. I'd much prefer to hear why they do or don't like it, and at least they might get some knowledge if someone corrects them as to why that is or isn't a problem.

Scott Garner 06-05-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 1141816)
I agree 100 percent. I hate seeing the same people asking over and over again on the same subject. I'd much prefer to hear why they do or don't like it, and at least they might get some knowledge if someone corrects them as to why that is or isn't a problem.

+1

7nohitter 06-05-2013 03:40 PM

Correct. I am SO grateful to the modest few who FREELY share their expertise. I'm not going to name names, but there are several members who CHARGE for their services, yet they do us the FAVOR of giving their opinion for free. I have nothing but respect and thanks for those people!

I DO NOT care for those who tout themselves or showboat or talk down to others...declaring yourself an "advanced" collector indicates that you feel you are above reproach and better than everyone else....

toyman55 06-05-2013 04:01 PM

I agree as well, I have never used PSA for an opinion after asking here because I know that the many who are here for the sake of collecting know more than anyone at PSA.
That being said and I am sure all would agree, I do miss hearing Jim Stinsons stories.

HOF Auto Rookies 06-06-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Six (Post 1141721)
Lastly, and the one that really irks me, is don't blatantly use these folks as a free resource and then go out and point out that PSA's Quick Opinion agreed/disagreed with their assessment. These folks on the board are offering their professional opinion to you for free...telling them you are willing to pay PSA (or another TPG) but not them is rubbing their nose in it and will ultimately lead to less of a willingness to lend their expertise in the future.

I couldn't have said it better myself. If our experts here give you an opinion (and I trust the opinion's here 1000x more than PSA, JSA, etc.) then why the hell even bother asking them in the first place! Especially after you post asking an opinion, then you use PSA/DNA and state 'PSA/DNA Quick Opinion agrees with you!', what is the point is wasting others' time in helping YOU. I would gladly pay our resources here that we have any given time over any TPA.

Paulanthony 06-06-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toyman55 (Post 1141848)
I agree as well, I have never used PSA for an opinion after asking here because I know that the many who are here for the sake of collecting know more than anyone at PSA.
That being said and I am sure all would agree, I do miss hearing Jim Stinsons stories.

+1 on the post +1 On Jim Stinson