Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Jackie Robinson pennant help (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169823)

MGHPro 06-02-2013 12:10 PM

Jackie Robinson pennant help

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked this up and don't recall ever seeing it. Any idea of rarity or value? It will be for sale if anyone is interested
Thanks
Matt

mjkm90 06-02-2013 02:53 PM

Never seen another Matt. It's a nice piece. I'm playing devils advocate here, but it is critical that you establish a link to baseball rather than a non-baseball event like a company picnic he attended as a dignitary. Valuation is a real challenge here, but I am confident it isn't in the same ballpark as the pennant with Jackie's image.

MGHPro 06-02-2013 03:03 PM

Thanks Mike. It certainly seems like a 50's pennant. Its the soft, thick felt material.

BigJJ 06-03-2013 08:48 AM

Looked Matt. cannot find anything. very rare. Where is our resident expert pennant writer?

perezfan 06-03-2013 12:45 PM

It does appear authentic, and of the time period. Very rare, as I have never seen this variation either.

The "wavy" font is similar to the "Jackie Robinson's All Stars" Pennant (which is also 3/4 size). I am currently without a computer, or I would attach a link/image, to show the similarity. Perhaps Mike Egner will see this, and can provide an image. Going from memory, I believe the Jackie Robinson's All Stars Pennant contains four other names.... Campanella, Doby, Newcombe, and perhaps Paige.

This is a great find, Matt. But as Mike stated, the lack of graphics and generic nature might keep the value down just a bit. Condition appears excellent, and the rarity is off the charts, so I would estimate a value of $800 - $1,000. Perhaps higher, if you were to consign it to a Hunts, REA, SCP, or other high-end Catalogue Auction.

Hope this us helpful, and great post!
Mark

MGHPro 06-03-2013 04:34 PM

Thanks for the help and opinions. If anyone is interested in it, just email me.
Matt

lefty147 06-03-2013 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great looking pennant Matt. Here is the one Mark mentioned. As long as I am posting I should mention that I should be getting the new pennant books by the end of next week :). Mike

perezfan 06-03-2013 08:02 PM

I knew Mike would come through with an image :cool:

OK... no Paige, and the font is slightly different. But the maker of the pennant (and its timing) are almost surely the same as yours.

Can you post the measurements of yours? (height along the spine X length, not counting tassels) I'm guessing about 8" X 25" ?

Thanks!

khkco4bls 06-04-2013 08:16 AM

Matt, could it be jackie robinson day 1947. On lelands auction now under dodgers there is a scorecard for jackie robinson day. Could it be the same.

rlevy 06-04-2013 03:47 PM

one other possibility is that it could have been from his days at UCLA, where he lettered in 4 sports and was quite the star there. Those appear to be the Bruin's colors on the pennant.

Rick

MGHPro 06-04-2013 05:56 PM

Kevin- Thanks for the info on that day.

It is UCLA colors, so I was wondering about when I got it.
Matt

cpbronco 06-04-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGHPro (Post 1141375)
Kevin- Thanks for the info on that day.

It is UCLA colors, so I was wondering about when I got it.
Matt

I would contact UCLA Sports Information during the summer and see if they have any information on it. Many SIDs love researching this type of stuff when they have the time. (I used to work in a college SID office). I would wait until the college sports season wraps up in a few weeks though.

perezfan 06-05-2013 01:38 AM

Here is a paragraph from the Article, Jackie Robinson: Baseball’s Noble Experiment, By William Kashatus...

"Those efforts helped the Dodgers to capture a pennant, and on September 23, jubilant Brooklyn fans cheered their first baseman with a “Jackie Robinson Day” at Ebbets Field. In addition to a new car and other gifts, Robinson received tributes for his contribution to racial equality. Song-and-dance man Bill “Bojangles” Robinson, one of the guest speakers, told the crowd: “I’m 69 years old but never thought I’d live to see the day when I’d stand face-to-face with Ty Cobb in Technicolor.”

That paragraph is contained within this link...

http://www.historynet.com/jackie-robinson

It may be UCLA-related, but I would bet this Pennant is from that event on September 23, 1947. I believe it's more likely that a manufactured pennant like this emanated from a Dodgers Game than a college-related event. Just my opinion...

BigJJ 06-05-2013 07:08 AM

Great research find Perezfan

khkco4bls 06-05-2013 12:26 PM

Exactly my feeling is that is from that day also. Matt maybe bid on the scorecard. What a great piece to go with the pennant if its from that day.