Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   GAI grading (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=164906)

tuckr1 03-08-2013 07:45 AM

GAI grading

Does anyone know about GAI grading?? I was looking at a card graded by GAI at a good price but have not heard of them grading single cards just packs, any information would be helpful.

Thanks Tucker

Leon 03-08-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuckr1 (Post 1100375)
Does anyone kno about GAI grading?? was llooking at a card graded by GAI at a good price but have not heard of thewm with singe cards just packs, any info would e helpful.

Thanks Tucker

Their grading sucks and your post might be the worst spelling I have ever seen on this board. You aren't texting a friend when you post.

tuckr1 03-08-2013 08:19 AM

thanks

Thanks Leon

HRBAKER 03-08-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1100386)
Their grading sucks and your post might be the worst spelling I have ever seen on this board. You aren't texting a friend when you post.

We might need Barry to weigh in on that.

Moonlight Graham 03-08-2013 08:29 AM

Gai

Leon, doesn't Mike Baker run (or own) GAI now? When I first learned about grading years ago I was under the impression that he was one of the best graders out there which made me think that Global Authentics would be good, but I too have heard that GAI sucks. Just wondering what you think or have heard about that.
Joe

novakjr 03-08-2013 08:34 AM

WoW!!! Leon. Where did that come from..:eek:

Forever Young 03-08-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

HAHA... I do teh sam e thing from my phone. :)

But yes, GAI has destroyed their brand(AND THEY DID HAVE ONE). It started with the autographs and seemingly spread to cards ect. I bet a lot of people got screwed buying "high graded" cards during that time. Anytime I see a GAI autograph I assume it is bad which is not a good thing.
At one time they had the entire market in graded unopened packs and were highly respected. I am pretty sure even that is tainted now. Although, I have not been in that market for awhile. Personally, I would never buy anything GAI graded now. NOTHING

cozmokramer 03-08-2013 08:49 AM

still getting business

They still do get business, but pretty much only for packs now.

Leon 03-08-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonlight Graham (Post 1100395)
Leon, doesn't Mike Baker run (or own) GAI now? When I first learned about grading years ago I was under the impression that he was one of the best graders out there which made me think that Global Authentics would be good, but I too have heard that GAI sucks. Just wondering what you think or have heard about that.
Joe

Yes, Mike Baker has been known as one of the better graders in the industry. I have met him a few times and he seems like a nice guy to me. The problem with GAI is that Mike didn't do all the grading and there was loose quality control for quite a while, from what I remember. I would still say most GAI cards are ok but there are a ton that aren't. The higher the grade the more you have to be careful, imo. Whenever there is a high grade GAI graded card sold it usually goes for significantly less than one from SGC, BVG or PSA. The market dictates prices and perceived value.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 03-08-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

We have a saying in the South - "simmer down."

Frank A 03-08-2013 09:49 AM

I find this a bunch of bullpoop. I have crossed many many cards over and many times got a higher grade. Maybe thier other endeavors were bad but thier grading not so.

smrtn240 03-08-2013 10:02 AM

I was wondering the same thing about GAI, I have heard cards that have been tampered with are easily overlooked by this company and graded well. This is one card I am currently watching but refuse to buy because the reputation of GAI frightens me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-BOWMAN-...item4d0924f2af

jp1216 03-08-2013 10:03 AM

The older silver flips are from GAIs beginnings. The newer white/black ones - I'd stay away from them.

hammer 03-08-2013 12:25 PM

Ask yourself this one question if cards in GAI holders are so good why did they not cross into PSA or SGC by now? Would you leave all that money from a GAI holdered card on the table?

Leon 03-08-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuckr1 (Post 1100375)
Does anyone know about GAI grading?? I was looking at a card graded by GAI at a good price but have not heard of them grading single cards just packs, any information would be helpful.

Thanks Tucker

Thanks for fixing the spelling Tucker and my apologies for coming off a bit strong. It might be that I have a 16 yr old daughter who texts over 3000 times a month and I get annoyed with her. She has no clue of her surroundings but can text like all get out....This forums posts, while not formal, should be a bit better, in form, than when texting to friends.

SushiX37 03-08-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammer (Post 1100529)
Ask yourself this one question if cards in GAI holders are so good why did they not cross into PSA or SGC by now? Would you leave all that money from a GAI holdered card on the table?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Rich

teetwoohsix 03-08-2013 12:58 PM

I crossed two GAI cards to SGC (quite awhile back), one graded same and one got a bump up one grade. I sent them to SGC still in the GAI holders, but they were the older GAI holders. After that, I read a lot of things that made me a bit uncomfortable buying GAI graded cards, so now I stick to the others (SGC,BVG,PSA)~or raw :D

I guess it's a gamble- it's probably best to know the type of card you are buying in the holder, and be able to somewhat tell if the card & grade look right to you before pulling the trigger.

Good luck :)

Sincerely, Clayton

Paul S 03-08-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtn240 (Post 1100447)
I was wondering the same thing about GAI, I have heard cards that have been tampered with are easily overlooked by this company and graded well. This is one card I am currently watching but refuse to buy because the reputation of GAI frightens me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-BOWMAN-...item4d0924f2af

The was a Kaline BVG 8 that closed way lower on Sterling last night. Pays to maybe not get fixated on a single example.

wazoo 03-08-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1100535)
Thanks for fixing the spelling Tucker and my apologies for coming off a bit strong. It might be that I have a 16 yr old daughter who texts over 3000 times a month and I get annoyed with her. She has no clue of her surroundings but can text like all get out....This forums posts, while not formal, should be a bit better, in form, than when texting to friends.

D03$ $h3 t@lk l!k3 th!$ wh3n $h3 t3xt$? It seems to be popular to talk like this amongst us teenagers.

Leon 03-08-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazoo (Post 1100580)
D03$ $h3 t@lk l!k3 th!$ wh3n $h3 t3xt$? It seems to be popular to talk like this amongst us teenagers.

I don't read them Wazoo but my guess is yes. She has her learners permit for driving, meaning a licensed adult has to be in the front seat when she is driving. So I let her drive me to her high school each morning. This morning as she was backing out of the driveway, and waiting for me to get in the car, she was texting. It was literally less than 30 seconds but she couldn't be without her freaking Iphone and texting for that long. All of this technology certainly has it's pluses and minuses. And I want this forum to be open and fun, and not formal, but I also don't want posts and threads looking like text messages. That is all.....carry on :).

wazoo 03-08-2013 02:14 PM

Lol. I have my permit too. I will have my license in a few months. Yeah, I try not to use my phone in the morning, but technology does have its pros and cons.

bn2cardz 03-08-2013 02:46 PM

A while back I bought a Cracker Jack off ebay. It was raw but looked high grade. The seller guaranteed that it would grade and that it wasn't altered. So I bought it. The seller stayed in communication with me as I went through the process of getting it graded. I made the choice of using GAI. It came back graded a 6. So in the seller's and my mind it was settled.

Later GAI was going under/transition and I was wanting to sell the card. I also thought the card was better than a 6 so I tried crossing it over to PSA or SGC. Both denied the card as trimmed.

Once that happened I tried crossing over all my other GAI cards and another came back as trimmed (by both PSA and SGC) and the others all lost grades. So I would never buy a GAI card.

pepis 03-08-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonlight Graham (Post 1100395)
Joe

I think and understand that
when Mike was at psa he was in charge of the higher dollar cards, and training
new graders, so his influence still exist in millions of cards in psa holders.
pretty interesting!