Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sometimes, a re-slab is worth it! (T216 Wagner) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=163852)

honus94566 02-19-2013 07:37 PM

Sometimes, a re-slab is worth it! (T216 Wagner)

Just arrived back from SGC. I have had this card for a few years and always thought it was undergraded. Very happy to have received it back, and with a grade much more fitting to the card. I think the SGC holders present cards about a million times better than PSA's so that's an extra bonus too.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...t216wagner.jpg

lharri3600 02-19-2013 07:43 PM

Wow Dave, a 1.5 bump. So goes consistency I guess:confused: Go figure:eek:

sycks22 02-19-2013 07:45 PM

Congrats. First time psa under graded a card.

bobbyw8469 02-19-2013 07:45 PM

Is that a water stain on the bottom of the card?

honus94566 02-19-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1091768)
Is that a water stain on the bottom of the card?

Maybe, it seems like the stain is a bit tobacco-ish, because of the color. You can see it a bit better from the back of the card. I have a few T216s and several have staining similar to this. Maybe that's what PSA docked for, I dunno.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...wagnerback.jpg

CardsFan999 02-19-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honus94566 (Post 1091761)
Just arrived back from SGC. I have had this card for a few years and always thought it was undergraded. Very happy to have received it back, and with a grade much more fitting to the card. I think the SGC holders present cards about a million times better than PSA's so that's an extra bonus too.

Nice-looking card. I also really prefer the SGC holder for vintage.

bobbyw8469 02-19-2013 08:00 PM

I am 100% positive that is why the card got a '1'. The stain takes over 25% of the card. I am wondering if SGC saw the stain, or if they failed to catch it?

cobblove 02-19-2013 08:10 PM

Great card. I agree with SGC this time. In no way is that card a 1.
Very nice!

DixieBaseball 02-19-2013 08:28 PM

Grading.... Tomato - Tamato... Tommy Toe....

4 Attachment(s)
Nice Wag's - (The grade is irrelevant to the card whether it is a PSA 1 or SGC 35) - A great card if it is in a Beckett or GAI holder imho...

Let's face it... Both companies do a decent job, but consistency is in the hands of score's of graders - so not sure there can be consistency with different eyes and different judgement from multiple people. I have several cards that are undergraded and some that are overgraded. I actually don't even pay too much attention to the grade. The protection is nice. Authentification is important. The Look of a quality holder that catalog's a card is key as well. Not to get too off topic on this thread, but I am having an mini-ephiphany. I have seen so many posts, comments, concerns about TPG over the years, that I wonder if a new TPG with sleeker, smaller, thinner, higher quality plastic, emerged and left the label off the front and placed it on the back (So nothing but the card was showing from the front) along with simply the word Authentic, would collector's be interested in something like this ? The reason I mention it is I like the good ole days where the buyer and seller would hash out what they think the appropriate grade is and go from there. I have 1's that are vg-ex to the eye and 4's that are only good conditon(2). Numbers mean very little to me at this point. I feel the market is being under served in this regard. Experienced collector's don't need to be told what grade a card is in my humble opinion. Imagine seeing just the card in a protective holder from the front with the label on the reverse in a more micro form with the label - Authentic. Anyone want to start a grading company ? I live in the mid-south and actually am located in one of the best domestic shipping points in the US. 70% of America can be delivered to in 2 days via ground. Many companies move their distribution to this location every year for the reach on delivery point. I think the label is a bit of a detraction from the essence of the card. (Put the label on the back and cut the size down in half) I am envisioning.... I will discontinue my ramble, but I got a feva... and the prescription is more.... Which card is overgraded and which is undergraded ? I rest my case.

honus94566 02-19-2013 08:44 PM

The first pic of the back I posted was a photo taken with flash, and it makes the stain a bit more visible. Here is a pic taken without flash. Definitely a stain there, but really not a bad one.

I need to buy a scanner.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...kottonback.jpg

chaddurbin 02-19-2013 08:50 PM

nice card.

CW 02-19-2013 09:22 PM

On that Wagner, technical grade is almost irrelevant, imo. Stain, no stain, PSA 1 or SGC 35, that is a great card which is not so easy to find.

I agree, though -- card looks a lot better in the SGC holder!

Bosox Blair 02-19-2013 10:53 PM

Hi Dave,

I assume you cracked it out and sent it raw to SGC?

Cheers,
Blair

Matthew H 02-19-2013 11:08 PM

The card is clearly not in poor condition... At least not to me. Very nice!

DerekMichael 02-20-2013 12:57 AM

I agree with SGC on this one. Nothing "poor" about this card, whatsoever.

Awesome piece man! Thanks for sharing.

teetwoohsix 02-20-2013 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1091831)
On that Wagner, technical grade is almost irrelevant, imo. Stain, no stain, PSA 1 or SGC 35, that is a great card which is not so easy to find.

I agree, though -- card looks a lot better in the SGC holder!

+1,,,amazing card !!!

Sincerely, Clayton

bcbgcbrcb 02-20-2013 03:24 AM

As usual, SGC got it right and PSA missed the boat on this one.

honus94566 02-20-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosox Blair (Post 1091858)
Hi Dave,

I assume you cracked it out and sent it raw to SGC?

Cheers,
Blair

Yes