Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Set Terminology (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=144913)

yoyot1 12-13-2011 08:48 PM

Set Terminology

What does the term "Master Set" mean to you?

If we are talking about T206, is the Master Set 524 cards, ~5600 cards, or something in between? If you call ~5600 card set the Master Set, what do you call the 524 card set (or vice versa)?

If you were collecting just the Tolstoi backed cards, would you call that a "Subset"? A "Variation Set"? Or something else?

I've seen the term "Master Set" used in various contexts that lead me to believe that there isn't consensus, but I'm not sure...

drc 12-13-2011 10:03 PM

Master Set usually means one of each card including errors and variations. However most sets don't have the number of different backs variations as the T206. I've usually heard it in context of, for example, a Topps or Bowman set.

I would think a T206 master set would include all back variations.

cdn_collector 12-14-2011 05:38 AM

To me the master set is what David said: All fronts & backs. I would call the 522 [one of each front less Magie & Doyle variations] set the base set, and a set consisting of all of the same backs a subset. I would expect others might have a different [better?] name than subset.

Regards,

Richard.

Editted to address two front-variations, as pointed out further down thread.

jp1216 12-14-2011 05:41 AM

Impossible to master the monster. Master means ALL card versions/variations.

Ronnie73 12-14-2011 06:32 AM

For me, the Basic Monster Set is 524 cards. Back sets would be called by their back name followed by Monster Set such as Tolstoi Back Monster Set. I like to call the 5500+ set the Master Monster Set.

novakjr 12-14-2011 09:33 AM

I had to change this, somehow my thoughts got a little tangled when thinking of the possible sets..

I'd think that the "base t206 set" would be one of each front(minus variations, or minus the big 4 depending on your perspective). The "master t206 set" would include the variations(524). While a set of specific backs, would be just that, the "Piedmont t206 set"(or your choice),basic or master depending on if variations exist within the back(also could be specified further to include 150 series or whatever). And then the "t206 Monster", would be one of each front/back combination.

Runscott 12-14-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie73 (Post 947244)
I like to call the 5500+ set the Master Monster Set.

I think you're just baiting us, but I'll stop there.

E93 12-14-2011 11:00 AM

I think the master set would be 5500+. I do think that an argument could be made for a basic set being 522 and not including the Magie and Doyle errors. Separating out errors is common in modern sets.
JimB

drc 12-14-2011 12:43 PM

I agree with Jim.

Terms like master set were invented after the T206s were made, so they aren't intrinsic to the cards. Just the way people define things. But traditionally a set (basic set) doesn't include errors and variations. Errors and variations are extras. Many sets are physically numbered on the backs so you know exactly what constitutes the basic set. Little more straight foreword than 1, 2, 3. Though there will be complications, such as when two players have the same number (54 Bowman Ted Williams)-- then there's a judgment call.

Most masters sets I've seen are for modern cards. Until now, I'd never really associated with Pre-War sets, no doubt mostly due to their rarity and difficulty.