Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   WOW!! Matty Letter from the Roaches!! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=140625)

gnaz01 08-17-2011 01:21 PM

WOW!! Matty Letter from the Roaches!!

A whopping $125.00

http://www.myccsa.com/Lot/222/christ...from-1923.aspx

jt39 08-17-2011 01:55 PM

After following that link to bid on this lovely piece (kidding), I decided to check their "About" page. Their very first testimonial proves that they have at least some legit items:

• "When I chose to auction off my most prized personal momentos, there was no other choice but Coach's Corner."
Bobby Schantz -- Former Major League Baseball Player

So bid with confidence on Bobby "Schantz" items -- just make sure any signatures include the "c" that most forged autographs from the former Athletics great usually omit.

In all seriousness, I hope that Mr. Shantz -- who is a great signer through the mail -- made out okay on his auction, and I trust his involvement with the company was all on the up and up.

Mr. Zipper 08-17-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jt39 (Post 918004)
After following that link to bid on this lovely piece (kidding), I decided to check their "About" page. Their very first testimonial proves that they have at least some legit items:

• "When I chose to auction off my most prized personal momentos, there was no other choice but Coach's Corner."
Bobby Schantz -- Former Major League Baseball Player

So bid with confidence on Bobby "Schantz" items -- just make sure any signatures include the "c" that most forged autographs from the former Athletics great usually omit.

In all seriousness, I hope that Mr. Shantz -- who is a great signer through the mail -- made out okay on his auction, and I trust his involvement with the company was all on the up and up.

Apparently Darren Daulton sold some of his items through them as well.

I wouldn't expect these pros to necessarily follow the hobby closely to know all the background info on Coaches Corner.

Bear in mind, some of the worst offenders in Operation Bullpen -- Stans Sports and B&J Collectibles -- also sponsored signings and salted their fakes with real items. They are duping the athletes as well to help bolster their credibility.

jt39 08-17-2011 02:41 PM

I certainly didn't intend to suggest anything untoward about Bobby Shantz -- as I said, I admire him for being a great signer and I'm just hoping that Coach's Corners' bad reputation didn't cost him. I was pointing out the irony that, even as to those items that they've sold with a trustworthy provenance, their thorough research team couldn't get a simple spelling correctly (which is something of the inverse of the problem that they had in the Ed Delahanty misspelled signature debacle).

Leon 08-17-2011 03:00 PM

the ole "throw a few good ones in" trick

On the card side we all know about the ole "throw a few good ones in" trick to make it look like the other (bad) cards are good too. Just because a few of anything are good certainly doesn't mean they all are. The good guys need to stay a step a head of the bad guys and knowledge is key. regards

slidekellyslide 08-17-2011 03:23 PM

Is there any way to see what items they auctioned off for Bobby Shantz?

danc 08-17-2011 10:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
They have had this quote up for many, many years, so something tells me this happened 10+ years ago so no way to tell what they auctioned off. They have been around like 23 years.

My two favorites...

JUST LOOK AT ALL THE STARS THAT SIGNED THAT BALL! WOW! It sold for over $3,000.

and...since when did Bill Dickey and Frank Crosetti play for the 1927 Yankees? They had two 1927 Yankee balls.

Funny s--t.

RichardSimon 08-18-2011 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jt39 (Post 918022)
I certainly didn't intend to suggest anything untoward about Bobby Shantz -- as I said, I admire him for being a great signer and I'm just hoping that Coach's Corners' bad reputation didn't cost him. I was pointing out the irony that, even as to those items that they've sold with a trustworthy provenance, their thorough research team couldn't get a simple spelling correctly (which is something of the inverse of the problem that they had in the Ed Delahanty misspelled signature debacle).

CC had a Delahanty misspelling debacle?
Are you sure?
If so that would make 2 misspelling debacle involving Delahaty because there was a major auction house that had an Ed Delahanty misspelled signature debacle.
You might be confusing the two.

Big Dave 08-18-2011 07:28 AM

I believe he is mistaken.

The Delahanty letter he is referring to was certified by PSA/DNA and JSA as genuine. What proved it to be a forgery, other then the spelling, is that the date and place on the letter did not correspond to where Mr. Delahanty actually was when he "allegedly" wrote that letter.

The letter and JSA coa can be viewed here.

http://haulsofshame.com/WFF-gallery.html

Info can be viewed her.

http://www.fighttoys.com/lawsuit%20D...y%20letter.htm

In a November 10-11, 2006 Hunt Auction catalog, item #474 is described as a Scarce Ed Delahanty autographed handwritten letter dated Dec. 27, 1899, the baseball Hall of Famer. In the catalog description it mentions: “Delahanty elected to leave the Washington American League...” and “Delahanty was removed from the train for rude behavior...” and “Delahanty died a sudden and early death...” This letter comes complete with a LOA (Letter of Authenticity) from James Spence Authentication.

Auction estimate for this item was $10,000 - $15,000.

The problem with the letter mentioned above is that the signature does not come close to matching what is considered a genuine signature of Ed Delahanty!

The above letter sold for $29,900.00. The several times the name of the ball player is mentioned in the catalog description, his name is spelled correctly. Who ever wrote the handwritten letter sold in this auction has incorrectly spelled the players name. In the letter, the name is spelled as “Delehanty”.

To continue, the owner of the same Delahanty letter recently consigned it to ****** ****** Auctions. It appeared as item #913 and the auction was scheduled to end May 2, 2009. This time the Delahanty letter comes complete with what is called “Full LOA’s from both James Spence Authentication, Certificate #B49257 and PSA/DNA Certificate #G56541.”

gnaz01 08-18-2011 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 918164)
I believe he is mistaken.

The Delahanty letter he is referring to was certified by PSA/DNA and JSA as genuine. What proved it to be a forgery, other then the spelling, is that the date and place on the letter did not correspond to where Mr. Delahanty actually was when he "allegedly" wrote that letter.

I believe he is too. I still have the auction house catalog where it was pulled.

That's not to say that the Roaches would have, at least, 1-2 great examples of Delahanty material in the monthly auctions :D:D

jt39 08-18-2011 07:48 AM

Sorry, yes, I was mistaken.