Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thoughts? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=137367)

usernamealreadytaken 05-27-2011 10:19 AM

Thoughts?

Ty Cobb (T206) with Ty Cobb back. Based on description, your typical "aged" reprint. But look at this price...

Red flags:

Part 1: "I have never sold any vintage baseball cards nor do I know much about them."

But,

Part 2: "This card has the look and feel of an actual vintage card and if it is a reprint, it is was one of the best reprints I have ever come across."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Bicem 05-27-2011 10:27 AM

definitely fake. bids are either not legit or people are stupid (or both).

barrysloate 05-27-2011 10:30 AM

Based on the bidding, and the fact there were no snipes set, there wasn't much bidder confidence here. Looks like somebody is going to be out $725. But I have to say...it does look real. Maybe someone got the deal of the century, but I'm dubious.

Bicem 05-27-2011 10:33 AM

Seller is just playing dumb and has intentional blurry scans.

Jacklitsch 05-27-2011 10:35 AM

I think its real and the winning bidder obviously did too. He/she is a power player.

Wish I had seen it.

abothebear 05-27-2011 11:03 AM

Doesn't make sense to me. If you had that card and wanted to sell it on ebay, and if you had enough experience to say "it has the look and feel of a legitimate card," wouldn't you spend the $10 to have it graded? I think one would, unless they knew it wouldn't pass. I hope for the buyer's sake it is real, but selling that card raw and saying it might be a reprint tells me that it IS a reprint. Maybe the seller is just that dumb and the buyer will be rewarded for the risk. But the listing makes me think otherwise.

atx840 05-27-2011 11:13 AM

I was watching it at $50 and figured why not but that is a risky deal. I took the advice from the board members regarding possible reprints.

first time seller
mentions possible reprint
fuzzy photos
if he knew it was rare why not grade it or take it to a local card shop.

Its a much nicer reprint then my wagner.

Bicem 05-27-2011 12:56 PM

The seller's title is... 1909 Ty Cobb T206 Rare King Of Tobacco

a simple google search of this phrase would instantly tell you that you have a $100k card (very first link when I did the search in fact).

So the seller just happens to stumble upon an extremely rare card, does enough research to know the year and acc#, but still has absolutely no clue of the value. Right. :rolleyes:

caramelcard 05-27-2011 01:02 PM

It looks like a real card with a reprint back. The borders show a sloppy reback job. The edges are discolored with glue.

terjung 05-27-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 897190)
So the seller just happens to stumble upon an extremely rare card, does enough research to know the year and acc#, but still has absolutely no clue of the value. Right. :rolleyes:

Good point. There is no chance this card is legit.

barrysloate 05-27-2011 02:40 PM

It appears that a great way to make money these days is to buy a reprint for fifty cents, artificially age it, put on ebay with the disclaimer that you aren't certain it's real so you are listing it as a reprint, and then sell it for several hundred dollars. And your back is covered because you put it in writing that it's a repint. Seems like a 21st century business model to me.

Jason 05-27-2011 03:00 PM

He listed it as a Prewar Reprint in the item specifics.No way all 31 bids were legitimate.

Matthew H 05-27-2011 10:09 PM

He said he doesn't know much about vintage cards but if it is a reprint, it's the best he has seen.

Makes sense.

fkw 05-27-2011 11:49 PM

The card is NOT an aged/doctored reprint, a reprint wouldnt show that type of creasing on front with the white showing.
My guess, homemade fake. The color has that washed out look too, especially the red background.

The front upper right edge shows he didnt cut it out too good either.