Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1932 Chicago Cubs pennant Ebay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=134716)

Duluth Eskimo 03-22-2011 08:33 PM

1932 Chicago Cubs pennant Ebay

This is the same guy selling the same made up junk as last time. Please spread the word to not bid on this garbage. For those that have questions look at the complete lack of any age or wear to the graphics, never seen size, seller now lives in San Fran instead of Mpls, Detroit, etc. lastly the fact that he only comes up with championship pennants.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-1932-Chi...item27b9a235a5

perezfan 03-23-2011 03:24 PM

The good news is that you pointed this out... thanks for posting it!

The bad news is that this guy is getting better at his "craft". He has moved from the embroidered Franken-pennants, to this one (which looks much closer to authentic- even to experienced collectors).

Of course, advanced pennant collectors know that they stopped making oversized pennants in the teens. He is peddling a 34" pennant, supposedly from 1932... and to your point, amazingly it commemorates another championship year!

That said, the painted graphics here are much more convincing, as is the thin white reinforcement strip. I would like to see this one close up, to see how he did it. I am pretty sure he took a generic existing older pennant, and altered it into a Cubs Pennant. His biggest mistake was not going earlier with the year!

GrayGhost 03-23-2011 04:30 PM

More garbage brought to us by another card carrying member of crooks anonymous.:mad:

CarltonHendricks 03-23-2011 05:03 PM

scary

Man that's lame...I'm not a pennant collector per se but that looks fairly convincing....I saw it the other day and thought of sending the link to Mike H, thinking it was legit....Can anyone post photos, or at least links to the past fake ones he's sold...

Duluth Eskimo 03-23-2011 09:19 PM

Pennant photos

I wish I would have saved some of the photos he has posted over the last couple of years, but I try not to waste my time on things like this. As perezfan stated, to the advanced pennant people things stick out like a sore thumb. Tell tale signs of this guy is the snow white graphics and the lack of crispness in the graphics. I am sure there is no end in sight as people continue to buy his work.

Shoeless Moe 03-24-2011 07:10 AM

I plan to contact the winner, maybe if one or 2 others would as well, we can tell them it's fake and hopefully they will return. We do this everytime maybe the seller gives up. Maybe.

perezfan 03-24-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 880808)
I plan to contact the winner, maybe if one or 2 others would as well, we can tell them it's fake and hopefully they will return. We do this everytime maybe the seller gives up. Maybe.

I've wanted to do this on numerous past occasions. But how can you contact them when Ebay now blocks their identities? If there's still a way to do it, please describe how... thanks!

lefty147 03-24-2011 04:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This guy is unbelievable. Here are a couple of the questionable "pennants" that have been for sale. Mike
www.vintagesportsshoppe.com

lefty147 03-24-2011 05:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some more. Mike

Shoeless Moe 03-24-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 880957)
I've wanted to do this on numerous past occasions. But how can you contact them when Ebay now blocks their identities? If there's still a way to do it, please describe how... thanks!

Today I contacted 5 of his past buyers. It's easy, just go to the sellers feedback and as long as the seller or the buyer left feedback then u just click on their ID then contact buyer.

mjkm90 03-26-2011 03:43 AM

It's an impossible pennant given the size and dating. I'm very concerned about where this could go. His techniques are convincing to say the least. I wish there was a way to notify bidders before an auction ends.:mad: