Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help Needed on this cabinet card (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=134391)

bbeck 03-14-2011 12:03 PM

Help Needed on this cabinet card

1 Attachment(s)
Hello-can anyone give me information regarding this cabinet card as far as year and possible value. It is Lou Criger and is actually in really nice conditon with a great back and a small corner crease in the upper right border edge. It is from a relative of Lou Criger. Thank you

drc 03-14-2011 12:20 PM

It looks like an a 1890s (1889 if it's his high school image) albumen cabinet card from his local hometown photography studio. Elkhart is his hometown. It's probably not a commercial issue, like a tobacco card, but something made for the proverbial family album. Though it is possible he played for a local team and there were such photos of all the players. Fair guess that it is unique. It's in overall nice condition and the image is sharp.

I can't give a value, other could comment if I thought a specific (sale?) price is fair. Actually, I could give a value, but it would be a guess.

bbeck 03-14-2011 12:35 PM

I appreciate the information. Anyone with an idea of any possible value? It came with a Criger T3 Turkey Red (Turkey Red Back), a Criger silk and a Criger caramel card.

JeremyW 03-14-2011 02:22 PM

Just a guess...

somewhere between $250-$500. As David said, it's a sharp image & in nice condition overall.

bbeck 03-14-2011 03:23 PM

Thanks again. Another question, does anyone know if this is an item that could be encapsulated by SGC or PSA or is it to obscure regarding year of origin and labeling?

barrysloate 03-14-2011 03:33 PM

Hi Bob- as long as you can provide other images confirming to them it's Lou Criger, I can't imagine why they wouldn't slab it. That's a really nice photo.

JeremyW 03-14-2011 03:39 PM

SGC would "slab" it. There is no doubt that it is Criger.

bbeck 03-14-2011 07:15 PM

Once again I appreciate all the input. It is a beautiful cabinet. I will probably drive it over to SGC for slabbing. Barry, I still have that T206 Huggins Cycle Back I purchased from your auction years back. It is still holding up as the highest ever graded by PSA although another PSA 6 has been graded. What a great card.

teetwoohsix 03-14-2011 11:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice Criger cabinet Bob !! Criger T206 is one of my favorite portraits.

barrysloate 03-15-2011 05:11 AM

Bob- don't remember it, but it sounds like a good card.

drc 03-15-2011 06:05 AM

A key for me is I looked up where he was from, and the studio was in his hometown. Supports it coming from his family.

You don't have to to slab it for it to be sellable. It's not the same as a Goudey or T206 where some will insist it be graded. It's more akin to selling a pennant or charm.

Not saying you shouldn't slab it, just that it's not the same as trying to sell a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth raw versus graded.