Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Poll: Preferences to displaying your cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=126111)

WhenItWasAHobby 07-28-2010 04:22 PM

Poll: Preferences to displaying your cards

Poll: When cards are encapsulated in third party grading company slabs, does the labeled holder enhance the aesthetics of the card when it's displayed or detract from the appearance of the card?

Robextend 07-28-2010 04:30 PM

Enhances

Bosox Blair 07-28-2010 05:23 PM

I like slabbed cards, but not for any ornamental or aesthetic reason. I like the TPG opinon on the card to take into the mix with my own view.

I also like the protection. But if my card is not slabbed, I'll put it in some other holder. And in my view, a card looks nicer in one of those real thick screw-downs.

So I can't say I want slabs for the look of them. I'm indifferent.

Cheers,
Blair

emmygirl 07-29-2010 07:23 AM

Display them both ways

I like the slabbed look on most of those I put out for display but I also like the look of cards in the acrylic screwdowns. Just started grading some of my favorite cards and will keep them as the main cards in my display/collection. Raw cards I really like go into holders.

bbcard1 07-29-2010 07:26 AM

I make my own decorative frames. They look 1000 x better than those of the grading companies.

timzcardz 07-29-2010 07:45 AM

As a director of of the Free The Cards Foundation, I have committed myself to freeing as many encapsulated cards as possible so tha they may live free!

Enough said.

Bicem 07-29-2010 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcard1 (Post 825834)
I make my own decorative frames. They look 1000 x better than those of the grading companies.

let's see.

Peter_Spaeth 07-29-2010 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosox Blair (Post 825750)
And in my view, a card looks nicer in one of those real thick screw-downs.

Cheers,
Blair

Back in the day I used to really like the Lin Terry beveled screwdowns, very high quality. I agree that a card displays better on its own, although of course that is just one consideration.

David W 07-29-2010 09:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
How to display low end items. The picture frames are garage sale specials, the bases for the 64 Giants are small blocks of finished oak from my dad's woodshop, with a small cut in the top.

Section103 07-29-2010 10:26 AM

Does "strewn across my desk" count as a display?

Matthew H 07-29-2010 11:58 AM

I don't think the slabs are good for protection. The screw downs are better. I gave my son a PSA graded Barry Bonds to play with and he managed to crease the card through the holder. :confused:

I can sit on my couch and watch TV with a card in a screw down and I don't have to worry about losing track of it. If you sat on a PSA slab you lost track of, it'll be all bad.

JasonL 07-29-2010 12:17 PM

Matthew...

You should really just stop sitting on your cards!
and what did your son DO to the slab?!?!
yikes

Matthew H 07-29-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonL (Post 825882)
You should really just stop sitting on your cards!
and what did your son DO to the slab?!?!
yikes

With a 5 year old running around the house, my PSA graded cards have to be high on a shelf. The screw downs can be anywhere without worry. JS. The slabs aren't the best protection.

I haven't sat on a card. As far as the Bonds goes, I gave it to him as a toy. I'm not sure why I even had it. He probably stepped on it, he was 4 years old.