Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Beckett's Graded Card Investor Magazine (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=125497)

Steve D 07-07-2010 01:00 PM

Beckett's Graded Card Investor Magazine

Does anyone here subscribe to Graded Card Investor (GCI)?

I just received a copy of Beckett's Sports Card Monthly (SCM), with a notice that GCI has been discontinued "due to increasing paper & postage costs, as well as a limited reader base." They've converted all GCI subscriptions, to SCM subscriptions.

So, it looks like SMR is the only remaining publication devoted to graded and/or vintage card prices.

As for me, I immediately fired off an email to Beckett, cancelling my subscription and requesting a refund. I have absolutely no use for SCM, as I collect limited football, don't collect basketball or hockey at all, and don't collect the new shiny stuff. SCM only shows prices for post-1980 cards.

Steve

Beatles Guy 07-07-2010 02:10 PM

I guess that explains why I couldn't find a copy of GCI in the bookstore today. They should refund your money, SCM is a a poor excuse for a price guide.

GoldenAge50s 07-07-2010 03:22 PM

Sorry to hear that--I thought GCI was alot better than SMR.

nebboy 07-07-2010 03:52 PM

to bad

I liked that Mag - found the pricing info a lot of help - and really enjoyed the writting about vintage issues. That is were I found a great write-up on Leon and Net54 that helped me find this site. Page 20 Sept/Oct 2008 pictured with his daughter and talkinga about 1922 T231 Frank Baker.

kcohen 07-07-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nebboy (Post 821576)
I That is were I found a great write-up on Leon and Net54 that helped me find this site. Page 20 Sept/Oct 2008 pictured with his daughter and talkinga about 1922 T231 Frank Baker.

That's probably why it went under. :)

Leon 07-07-2010 05:36 PM

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcohen (Post 821579)
That's probably why it went under. :)

Probably.... :)

terjung 07-07-2010 08:04 PM

I was a subscriber until yesterday when I received the same notice. I too immediately called Beckett to cancel. No worries though, I should have my refund check in 60-90 days. :rolleyes:

toppcat 07-07-2010 08:52 PM

This happens a lot with Beckett; I recall Beckett Vintage bit the dust the minute I subscribed and it got converted to some shiny card price guide. It's all about the digital edition now with liquid product like vintage cards. This is why I use VCP and not a two month out of date magazine.

drc 07-09-2010 11:52 AM

As the photo advisor, Beckett gave me a free year's subscription to their general sports card magazine. It was about the modern stuff, but I thought it was an entertaining read. I enjoyed it. I also got a subscription to the graded magazine, but I didn't have personal use for the price guide so can't judge.

53Browns 07-09-2010 12:13 PM

I had sent a check in a few months back to subscribe for the first time and a few weeks ago they sent my check back with a letter stating they are discontinuing the magazine and will be incorporating some of the graded stuff into their other existing monthlies. I was a little bummed. I was hoping for a graded price guide in magazine format other than SMR.

Leon 07-09-2010 12:42 PM

got the new mag

I got the new mag in the mail a few days ago. I have a very limited interest in new cards but will check it out and see.....:confused:

Leon 07-11-2010 09:15 AM

ok...

So I went through the magazine and it's actually not bad at all. It's just written for a different audience than the mag it is replacing. Being that I am now getting a bit more knowledge of the new card market, through my endeavors, it is good magazine for that part of the hobby, imo. It is much different than GCI and the old Vintage mag. If I didn't have an interest in the new card market I wouldn't care too much for it. There was a good section on the Industry conference that was held in Las Vegas. (I believe)

The new folks at that magazine just better not interview me as it will be the kiss of death if they do :(.

PS...btw, the Beckett guys did proactively offer a refund if anyone doesn't want the new magazine. I have seen worse ways of doing things.