Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Very sad news- passing of a fellow collector (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=125431)

tbob 07-05-2010 11:01 AM

Very sad news- passing of a fellow collector

1 Attachment(s)
I just learned last night of the death of Robert "Bob" Craik who was known to many on this board. Bob was both a collector and a dealer but had a love of cards and will be very missed. I am not sure exactly when Bob died but it has been during the last year. The occasions I had to speak with Bob on the phone and converse by email, he was always pleasant and a very friendly guy. I never got to meet him in person unfortunately. He will be missed. Sympathies go out to his family. RIP Bob.

bijoem 07-05-2010 11:08 AM

That is sad news.

I've only had a few email exchanges with him - - but he was a very nice guy.

RIP.

chaddurbin 07-05-2010 11:15 AM

very sad and shocking news. i've met him a few times at the local hollywood park show back in the day. always friendly and genuine.

he went by pgacpa.

barrysloate 07-05-2010 11:24 AM

I didn't know Bob well but I know we did some business over the years. My condolences to his family.

HRBAKER 07-05-2010 11:29 AM

Bought several cards from Bob. Always a pleasant and trouble free deal. My thoughts to his family.

Jacklitsch 07-05-2010 11:31 AM

This is a shock! Several of my 1911 Zeenuts came from Bob. Sad news indeed. Condolences to Rose and the kids.

Bob's website: http://www.rbcraik.com/

Leon 07-05-2010 11:46 AM

My Condolences too

My condolences to his family also. RIP Bob.

The recent story I told about a D304 Kelly getting run over by a car with a tire track across the envelope, and laying in the middle of the street, only to be delivered to me unharmed, came from Bob. I did a several card for card trade with him and his card associate (I never can remember his name but know his face) at either the last National or the one before it. I always had pleasant dealings with Bob. RIP Bob, you'll be missed.....

oldjudge 07-05-2010 12:42 PM

It is always sad news when one from the cartophilic fraternity passes. Rest in peace Bob.

Ladder7 07-05-2010 12:58 PM

I hope Bob's family can find the strength they need.

Just learned this AM, that a 45yo HazMat teammate (and brother Mass firefighter) just suffered a large heart attack in Rhode Island this weekend. He was thin, seemed to eat right, didn't drink to oblivion and was always cool and calm on the job. Carpe Diem

caramelcard 07-05-2010 01:11 PM

Thanks for letting us know Bob.

I have been corresponding/trading/buying with/from Bob for many years and have learned a lot from him and his website that I'm sure many of you are familiar with: http://www.rbcraik.com/

I'm very shocked and sorry to hear about his passing. Rest in Peace Bob.

Robert

Matt 07-05-2010 02:14 PM

Sorry to ear this - my thoughts go out to his family.

Exhibitman 07-05-2010 02:21 PM

I knew Bob well from shows at Hollywood Park and other locales in So Cal. He was a jovial guy, always fun to hang with at the shows. He'll be missed. RIP.

slantycouch 07-05-2010 02:58 PM

Very sad to hear. Bob always seemed like a very nice guy. My condolences to his family.

teetwoohsix 07-05-2010 03:08 PM

I didn't know Bob but would like to offer my condolences to his family and friends, Rest In Peace Bob.

Sincerely,Clayton

Wesley 07-05-2010 03:49 PM

Very sad news. May Bob rest in peace.

milkit1 07-05-2010 03:58 PM

Seemed like a really nice guy. he asked me once about a Marx Brothers card I had one cause apparently one he had got stolen. I t was the same card but he was very nice about asking anyways. Never found out what actually happened.

sreader3 07-05-2010 04:00 PM

Very sad. I bought some T206s from Bob over the years. Always hassle-free.

RIP.

bcornell 07-05-2010 04:07 PM

Terrible news. I liked Bob a lot - we used to catch up at the National about our T204 sets (he beat me to the finish). Always a genial guy and grateful to other collectors for any help they provided.

I found the thread Leon mentions about the D304 that could not be defeated.

Bill

Bosox Blair 07-05-2010 05:06 PM

Sad news. One of my earlier Ebay purchases was a T206 Chesbro from Bob. Didn't know him well, but a loss to the collecting community for sure.

Cheers,
Blair

slidekellyslide 07-05-2010 05:34 PM

Very sad news....I only had one deal with Bob throughout the years, but it was nice that he thought of me when he ran across the Lincoln postcard.

Condolences to his family...I don't think Bob was that old, and I think he had some young kids.

brianp-beme 07-05-2010 06:41 PM

Sad news, but a little Net54 contribution to remember him by

I never had contact with Bob, but I remembered that he posted an original poem in one of the 'Bruce' threads (that Bruce sure brought out the eloquence in many of us) that I thought was quite bawdy, fitting and clever, so I thought I would track it down and post it here so we could share a little bit of his joviality...rest in peace.

Brian

Whilst swimming in the sea of mediocrity.
We came upon a penultimate she.
Unbeknownst to me, in truth, she was a he.
Puzzled, I asked “are you a low life musketeer?”
This brought upon him/her a gasp but not a tear.
He/she sighed then replied,
“No, I come from the Isle of Woman.
Where all are ex-cons, liberal drug users and micro minded villains.
And we look for those in kind, equally obtuse,
Akin to Bruce, are keen of the caboose,
And take pleasure making the unwashed rail.
Whilst adding two more, and twisting even more tails.
Alas it is late, landfall is far.
I must hasten now to my favored Kosher Sushi Bar,
SoSueMe.

Wite3 07-05-2010 06:53 PM

I am so shocked and sad about this. I knew Bob pretty well from the local Southern California scene. Bob often would find interesting Phillies for me or T205s. I bought one of my blank backs from Bob at the very last Hollywood Park Show I went to. He was a classy guy who knew his cards. He was a collector and a dealer and enjoyed both very much. I hope his wife and kids are okay and all my condolences to them and the rest of his family.

Joshua Levine

Rich Klein 07-05-2010 06:59 PM

I never dealt with Bob

But frankly; anytime a member of our community leaves; he (or she) can never be truly replaced. Bob will be remembered and that is a great testament to him and may he rest in peace

Rich

ethicsprof 07-05-2010 10:36 PM

fellow collector

very sad news.
my deepest condolences to family and friends.

in sympathy,
barry

Vintagecatcher 07-06-2010 08:22 AM

Very Sad News

1 Attachment(s)
Very sad to hear of Bob's passing. I often visited his site. In addition to card collecting, he also shared my passion for trout fishing. Here is my Kleinow T204 that I got from Bob.

My prayers are with Bob and his family.

Patrick

uffda51 07-06-2010 12:34 PM

I didn't know Bob well but I knew him through ebay dating back to 1999 and met him twice in recent years at the National. I bought several cards from him. A great guy who will be missed. My condolences to his family.

Rickyy 07-06-2010 01:30 PM

It's always sad to hear the dear passing of fellow collectors...My condolences and prayers to his family and friends...

tbob 07-06-2010 03:11 PM

I always feel sad anyway, but when a collector dies who's still relatively young, it seems even sadder. As I recall he died leaving a widow and two youing children. Somehow it reminds us all what is really important in this crazy world...