Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Collectors insurance (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=122587)

scottglevy 04-09-2010 08:47 AM

Collectors insurance

Ted Z's thread really got me thinking about this.....

What are the best options out there and about how much will it cost to insure cards. Just a rough estimate as a percentage of value would be great.

Regards,
Scott

Robextend 04-09-2010 08:51 AM

Good thread idea. I would also like to add a question for homeowners.

Would homeowners insurance cover my collection? I know there was a thread on this a few months back, but it seems like a good time to re-hash the subject.

Thanks - Rob

usernamealreadytaken 04-09-2010 08:56 AM

Homeowners

Depends on the policy, but generally you have to list items like these and pay a premium... The safest bet (depending) is a safe-deposit box, but if I had a Plank, it would be like dropping a kid off at daycare...a tough goodbye...

botn 04-09-2010 08:59 AM

I have been using Collectibles Insurance Services for a long time. I highly recommend them. http://www.collectinsure.com/

Leon 04-09-2010 09:03 AM

Insurance

I would end up paying quite a bit to insure my cards personally. I made the choice to have them online and keep all of my expensive ones in a safe deposit box. It costs me $100 a yr and gives me a huge peace of mind. For our auction it was a very easy decision, we use CIA Insurance. regards

T206Collector 04-09-2010 09:04 AM

I use CIA, too

It is very reasonable. But I have never had to make a claim (thankfully). It is much easier than homeowners' insurance.

Chicago206 04-09-2010 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usernamealreadytaken (Post 798375)
Depends on the policy, but generally you have to list items like these and pay a premium... The safest bet (depending) is a safe-deposit box, but if I had a Plank, it would be like dropping a kid off at daycare...a tough goodbye...

Its called a "ryder" in insurance terms. You can insure certain things, but others are not insurable (at least through Allstate), such as my wife's jewelry as an example.

Orioles1954 04-09-2010 09:08 AM

I also highly recommend CIA and the "safety deposit box" method. Even for collections like mine which are valued at $5000 or less....it is wonderful for peace of mind.

JasonL 04-09-2010 09:09 AM

Scan it and bank it

As soon as I get anything worth near $100 (not too often), I scan it, enjoy it in full daylight for maybe a day or two and then it is tossed into the bank safe deposit box. While it takes some of the fun of having the cards around, I never worry about them, and a trip to the bank is alot more fun!

Ladder7 04-09-2010 09:16 AM

Dont need no stinkin eensurance

http://www.sourcetext.com/images/redneck/3.jpg

jbsports33 04-09-2010 09:24 AM

Collectors insurance

I agree - Collectibles Insurance Agency is the best and they have very fair rates, safe deposit box is always good as well! Homeowners Insurance can be a lot of paper work and extra fees to add your cards.

Jimmy

calvindog 04-09-2010 09:47 AM

Has anyone ever had to make a claim with CIA?

botn 04-09-2010 10:18 AM

Jeff I have made 2 claims in 7 years. One was something which was lost in the mail for around $1000 and another for about 12K in which I had a Fed Ex coming back from PSA and the box had been cut open and contents removed. The claims process was very easy and took them about 35 days to pay out.

Chicago206 04-09-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladder7 (Post 798391)
Dont need no stinkin eensurance

http://www.sourcetext.com/images/redneck/3.jpg

I have yet to see a gun that fires bullets at bad guys while you are 1,000 miles away on vacation!

Ladder7 04-09-2010 10:41 AM

You think youre better than me, cuz I cant afford a vacation?

Besides, with this outfront. Who's gonna check to see if anyone's in the trailer!?

timzcardz 04-09-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 798402)
Has anyone ever had to make a claim with CIA?

Here is a fairly recent thread about a theft and successful insurnace claim:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=118262

M's_Fan 04-09-2010 12:20 PM

I contacted my insurance company (Travelers) and they said I was already insured up to a certain amount from theft and fire, but only for the cost of my cards (not current value). It was totally inadequate.

But you really can't be compensated for the time you've spent putting your collection together. The safe deposit box is fine if you don't mind being away from your cards. But as I said in the other thread, if you like to be near them as I do, I highly recommend a top quality fire proof safe. Ft. Knox safes are built like, well, Ft. Knox.

http://ftknox.com/gun-safe-images/open-gun-safe.jpg

http://ftknox.com/

ibuysportsephemera 04-09-2010 12:40 PM

Been using Collectors Insurance for probably 5 years or more. Thank goodness, never needed to make a claim

Over the years I have compared pricing as compared to a rider on my home owners...the cost is not even close, homeowners is at least 2x as much and doesn't include flood (which is include by CIA).

Jeff

smtjoy 04-09-2010 12:56 PM

I was the person in the thread who made a claim late last year after having cards stolen out of my truck around Christmas. I was paid in full and very glad I had insurance. I keep my cards in a home safe and have them fully insured (my homeowners policy was a joke regarding collectibles).

My Collectibles Insurance Services annual rates are a bit less than 1% of the total value insured.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n.../Cardsafe3.jpg

calvindog 04-09-2010 01:08 PM

Scott, that's a perfect safe to hold MJ Roop boxes! What kind is it?

slidekellyslide 04-09-2010 01:51 PM

I have a safe deposit box...not just for cards that are expensive, but many of my items are unique and thus irreplaceable. I also don't have a huge collection so I can get by with just that.

smtjoy 04-09-2010 03:28 PM

Jeff, Its a Sentry Safe- my model has been replaced but I think this is the new one. I paid $831 total which included $200 delivery fee. It has worked out great for me and yes it holds roop cases perfect.

http://www.sentrysafe.com/products/p....si_p=CartView

botn 04-09-2010 04:06 PM

I use a Gardall safe at home which is both Burglary and Fire rated.

Pup6913 04-09-2010 04:28 PM

I use a safe deposit box at the bank for some of the better stuff and the rest is at home. My homeowners insurance policy covers about $130K worth of my collectables which is more than enought to replace them. Also use my wife as a deterent for theives. They have to take her with them and most never make it up the drive, the rest just leave when she answers the door.:D

PLEASE PLEASE come rob me quick:)

terjung 04-09-2010 05:17 PM

Does CIA cover your cards if you are in transit and they are stolen? ...for example, to and from a show... or at a show?

calvindog 04-09-2010 05:18 PM

Are these safes bolted to the ground? Or are they just too heavy to steal? Is that the concept? I'd like a safe that will be fireproof but I'm guessing there's a limit to how long a safe can be in fire and not melt.

Rob D. 04-09-2010 05:53 PM

What about if a card I'm selling but don't own yet gets stolen? Do I have a claim?

Kenny Cole 04-09-2010 05:58 PM

Many homeowners policies limit coverage for jewelry, gold, collectibles, etc. to $10,000 or so. Riders that increase coverage to something resembling real value can be pretty expensive. I, like Leon, go the safe deposit box route. $90/year, my bank is close, and I have scans. Not perfect, but it works for me.

smtjoy 04-09-2010 06:08 PM

Jeff, my safe is bolted to the floor and can also be bolted to the wall, it weights over 500 pounds. I'm sure a pro would be able to get what he wanted but im sure it would deter any random thief. At some point down the road I do plan to upgrade to a larger safe as Im running out of room.

My Insurance policy does cover cards in transit, my claim was from cards stolen from my truck in transit from my office to my home. They also cover mail losses but those do have different limits.

Rickyy 04-09-2010 09:34 PM

CIA for me too... for the past 4 yrs or so...

PhilNap 04-09-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botn (Post 798414)
Jeff I have made 2 claims in 7 years. One was something which was lost in the mail for around $1000 and another for about 12K in which I had a Fed Ex coming back from PSA and the box had been cut open and contents removed. The claims process was very easy and took them about 35 days to pay out.

Out of curiosity how have those claims affected your premiums? I have a CIA policy and have a potential claim. It's less than a $1000 loss and wonding if its worth the claim if it will result in a significant premium increase.

Batter67up 04-14-2010 10:10 AM

Contacted Collectibles Insurance and was very disappointed in ther follow up with me. I had to call them to find out status on my application over a couple of days and then they seemed to pass it on to another rep. I asked them to cancel my application and I am looking elsewhere. If their service is that bad getting me a policy, I can only imagine how it would be if I had to file a claim. Thumbs down for me (Just My Opinion)

Chicago206 04-14-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 798563)
Are these safes bolted to the ground? Or are they just too heavy to steal? Is that the concept? I'd like a safe that will be fireproof but I'm guessing there's a limit to how long a safe can be in fire and not melt.

Steel begins to melt at around 1500-1600 degrees if I remember correctly. The average house fire (in my personal experience) gets no hotter than around 1200 or so.....maybe a little hotter for a very brief period known as flashover. But since most fires that have had a flashover are now self venting in some way (through the roof, out a window) the higher temp is not sustained. Unless you have some type of unusual scenario in which the safe would be trapped in a void in such a manner as to expose it to ultra hot temps for a lengthy period, I seriously doubt that a fire safe will have any problems in the typical house fire.

joed25 12-25-2012 06:36 PM

Could someome please post a link to CIA Insurance? I am having trouble finding there contact info. Thanks.

bbcard1 12-25-2012 06:38 PM

I got a policy from Erie that seems reasonable

E93 12-25-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terjung (Post 798562)
Does CIA cover your cards if you are in transit and they are stolen? ...for example, to and from a show... or at a show?

Yes, I believe it is up to 60k in value and you can get a rider for more if needed. I think you need to inform them of dates and what you will be bringing with you. My memory of the details is vague but I inquired about this when bringing cards to the National to get graded in the past.
jimB

e107collector 12-25-2012 07:22 PM

Cia

Quote:

Originally Posted by joed25 (Post 1066590)
Could someome please post a link to CIA Insurance? I am having trouble finding there contact info. Thanks.

Here you go:
http://www.collectinsure.com/

Tony

joed25 12-25-2012 07:29 PM

Thank you

sdkammeyer 12-25-2012 09:19 PM

Great thread. Nice to see it back from the dead.

conor912 12-25-2012 10:21 PM

I have USAA for homeowners. They are nothing short of incredible and have made the several claims we have made with them 100% painless. I asked them about valuable collections and they said they have a standard amount factored in to their policy. Upon further investigation I found that they do not do itemization for collectibles. For that, they subcontract American Collectors Insurance. I am not positive, but I assume you do not need to be a USAA member to get insurance though ACI. Last month ACI quoted me about $250/year for a $40k policy. I do not own said policy (yet) so I cannot vouch for their integrity were the sh*t to hit the fan, but if USAA vouches for them, then I will too. Insuring my collection is at the top of my list for 2013.

conor912 12-25-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botn (Post 798414)

Wow....that's sketchy.