Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   An unbelievable coincidence and a touching gesture (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=118813)

Al C.risafulli 12-18-2009 06:24 PM

An unbelievable coincidence and a touching gesture

I just thought I'd tell you guys about something really cool that happened this week.

My fraternal side of the family is not one I'm particularly close with. I don't speak with many of them, and so those that I was truly close with, or truly enjoyed, have kinda gotten lost over time.

One of them was my grandfather, who passed away when I was a little boy.

So about two weeks ago, Net54 member Kevin Cummings sent me a PM through Net54. Turns out that Kevin was visiting his father who is buried in the cemetery where my grandfather is buried, and the grave next to his father's had the name Crisafulli on it.

So Kevin asked if I knew anyone buried at the cemetery. I told him that my grandfather was buried there, but that I hadn't been there since I was a boy. I was unaware of whether my grandmother was buried with him, since I was not there when she passed.

A few minutes ago I got an email from Kevin. Turns out that he went back to the cemetery today, and took a camera phone picture of my grandparents' grave, and emailed it to me.

My grandfather was a great musician and an even better man, and I haven't seen his grave since I was a little boy. I just thought it was an unbelievable coincidence that Kevin would even notice the grave marker (much less have it so close in proximity to one of his loved ones), and a really considerate thing for him to do, to go out of his way to take the picture and send it to me.

Just a cool gesture around the holidays, a reminder that good things come from this board, and I wanted to thank him publicly for making my whole weekend.

And it's only 8:15 on Friday night.

Thanks, Kevin!

-Al

barrysloate 12-18-2009 06:33 PM

That is amazing Al, that you and Kevin now have this new connection.

kkkkandp 12-18-2009 06:44 PM

It's a Small World After All

Don't ask me why it took this long to notice.

I've been to the cemetery dozens of times since my father passed away, but I generally focus just on his grave. In my own defense, because of the cemetery rules there are no headstones, just nameplates flush to the ground, so "neighbors" aren't quite as apparent as they might be elsewhere. For whatever reason on the last visit the name on the plate to the left just caught my eye.

From now on it'll be two prayers per trip! ;)

Ladder7 12-18-2009 06:56 PM

Very nice indeed. It feels tood to reconnect with your ancestors.

My family became displaced when I was five. Recently, I began the geneology thing and found my Granpa's file on the Ellis Island website. He arrived in NY on my birthday (1914). I'm now searching for the ship (orig photo) that brought him from Italy.
The website is well done and user-friendly. http://ellisisland.org/

batsballsbases 12-18-2009 07:05 PM

A Touching Gesture

Al And Kevin,
What a great story. Having just lost my father Last December and this being the first christmas without him I feel a deep loss inside. Its such a nice feeling inside when something like this happens ,a small thought for someone that brightens up a very sad time. May you both have a great holiday and Peace be with you and to all on the board. Al S.

ethicsprof 12-18-2009 07:32 PM

Al C

a beautiful, moving story from a prince of a fellow and great friend.

thanks much for sharing, Al.

and thanks for your touching efforts, Kevin.

all the best to those facing difficult times during this holiday season.

barry

Jim VB 12-18-2009 09:54 PM

Very nice story Al (and Kevin.)

By the way Al, is that a piece of blue wax stuck to your eye brow?

Wite3 12-18-2009 10:12 PM

Great story from two great people...so nice to hear something really truly positive.

Joshua

mark evans 12-18-2009 10:13 PM

Nice story.

I hope to see all in Baltimore.

Mark

Al C.risafulli 12-18-2009 10:55 PM

Mr. Van Brunt, I have blue wax stuck to just about everything.

-Al

Jim VB 12-19-2009 07:20 AM

:D

Joe_G. 12-20-2009 10:35 AM

Very cool, that Mr. Kevin Cummings is a "Goodfellow" ! Truely one of the hobbies bright spots, thank you !

O/T Also, congrats to Kevin on a great looking legit Kansas City Blue card. Do you now have the entire 1888 Western Association covered?

kkkkandp 12-20-2009 10:52 AM

Thanks, Joe!

The Western Association is now completely covered! :)

autograf 12-20-2009 01:46 PM

Having been a long-distance friend of Kevin's for a long time, I can tell you that you'd never find a better person than him. Great guy. Good to get memories like that on film too. I have pics of my grandparents gravesites. I don't get to visit as often as I'd like...

kkkkandp 12-20-2009 03:06 PM

Come on, Tom...

It's been mostly long distance, but when you were still traveling for UPS we did have that romantic dinner in Parsippany! :)