Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T210 series 6 scarcity question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=116569)

TT40391 10-05-2009 10:51 AM

T210 series 6 scarcity question

Okay, a couple of my fellow T210 series 6 collectors could probably answer this for me. I just started collecting the set and I currently have 5 cards from it. I watched the set for a few years though just to get a feel for how often they came up and their price etc to make sure I could collect them and I have to say, while they are all rare I have definitely seen more Womble Shelbyville examples come up than any other T210 series 6 card. That being said I just recently was able to acquire one thanks to the kindness of a fellow board member who had a duplicate, but it made me wonder what everyone thought were the most common cards in the set, and which were the hardest to find not including the stengel in the discussion of course. Thanks

Tony

FrankWakefield 10-05-2009 11:51 AM

I think Goosetree leaning on that bat is a difficult card to locate. I've been piecing together some ideas about how series 6 didn't come out all at once, but in bits, which bits were first, and why a few of the cards might be more difficult to locate than others. I'll try to speed that up.

As for Womble, I don't necessarily think he's the easiest. I have seen his card offered several times the last few years. He's still a series 6 card and fairly tough.

One thing I've started to think about series 6 (and this would apply to series 8, too) is that these cards are tougher than the prices suggest. What happens is that very few folks, less than a hundred, try to collect the entire set. It is too daunting, too many cards, too much money, seldom seen... Some folks do attempt a series or a city. And that is a neat way to collect these rascals. I think most folks that have one of these has it as a type card. And folks that have 5 to 10 of them were trying to get at least one from each series. Very few folks try to get all of series 6 because of the barrier Casey Stengel is to completion. And the same for Series 8 with Joe Jackson. I think if Stengel and Jackson weren't depicted, then more folks would collect series 6 and or series 8, and the prices for the cards would be even higher. So actually, the presence of Stengel and Jackson forces the prices down for the other cards in the series.

TT40391 10-05-2009 08:41 PM

I agree

That is a very good point, I never thought of it like that. I know I will probably never be able to afford a stengel on a public school teacher salary but I will still try to collect the series 6 and just pretend it dosen't exist. But I guess that is a very good theory about how the set was distributed. I assume the set was distuributed in pouch tobbacco, and it is my opinion that many people in kentucky in 1910 still made their own smokes in that period, especially in more isolated areas of the state, and many may have simply been ruined by never being pulled from the pouch. That is a theory however which I have not reserached.

Tony

FrankWakefield 10-05-2009 09:23 PM

I'm pretty sure Old Mill's were cigarettes, not pouch. It says cigarettes on the back of the card. Jon Canfield would be the authoritative voice on that.

teetwoohsix 10-05-2009 09:31 PM

I agree with Frank about this set having too many cards to collect the whole set-over 600(more than "the Monster"T-206).Collecting a certain series,may be more of an obtainable goal,,such as your series#6 Blue Grass League....although I don't collect these myself,I do admire the T210 Old Mills,,and it would be nice to get my hands on one of those Series #3's with the orange borders...good luck on your quest!!!