Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   W601s (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=115666)

kcohen 09-02-2009 10:03 AM

W601s

I noticed on Ebay an auction for a W601 reprint, purportedly from 1973. One of those "old hobby reprints" I suppose. Anyway, having been unaware and a bit surprised that reprints of this issue exist, it makes me wonder if some of the several W601s hanging on my wall might be "aged" reprints.

Has anyone ever seen up close and/or held one of these? If so, are that markedly different from the originals - easy to tell apart?

Note to self: Stop being surprised that any particular issue has been reprinted. It appears that just about everything has been.

Ken

Minerscoin 09-02-2009 09:45 PM

My Opinion on many items called reprints

I am of the opinion that many of these reprints are nothing more than homemade laser scanner reprints made by Scam Artists to deceive the novice. Sit back and watch is the wrong attitude to take. Fight back. Many cards have not been reprinted but as I said earlier just laser copies. I am very interested in what many others think of my opinion. I may be wrong but I was in the Card Collecting hobby as a dealer and collector as far back 1977 and do not rembember all these oddball reprints you see these days. These people are just flat out LIARS AND CROOKS. 1973 reprint. Yeah right. Got a link and I will screw with the scammer and we all should.
Mark

Edited to add:
Without seeing the actual auction I assumed they were just laser copies but these are not. I found the auctions and they do look like they are TCMA reprints. No need to mess with this guy. I feel like a fool for jumping the gun on this one. The guy is upfront and is not trying to deceive. I forgot all about all the TCMA reprints and still stand by the fact that many of the reprints you see on ebay are laser copies meant to deceive.
The cards are most likely small cards compared to the originals. Sorry guess I need to read more closely from now on. One of the best looking reprint sets I have seen was sold buy the late Denny Eckes of T-201's. I mounted the whole set in a large frame and could have sold it a bunch af times back in the day. I always told the person they were infact reprints but without looking at the back that said reprint they were pretty good looking reprints.
So I say sorry to the person selling these W601's. Aw nevermind, I am just making myself look even more foolish I should just stop here.
Mark

Pup6913 09-02-2009 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minerscoin (Post 747378)
I am of the opinion that many of these reprints are nothing more than homemade laser scanner reprints made by Scam Artists to deceive the novice. Sit back and watch is the wrong attitude to take. Fight back. Many cards have not been reprinted but as I said earlier just laser copies. I am very interested in what many others think of my opinion. I may be wrong but I was in the Card Collecting hobby as a dealer and collector as far back 1977 and do not rembember all these oddball reprints you see these days. These people are just flat out LIARS AND CROOKS. 1973 reprint. Yeah right. Got a link and I will screw with the scammer and we all should.
Mark

AGREED:eek:

pro9 09-03-2009 01:51 AM

The ones you just saw on ebay are the TCMA reprints. They are in the SCD catalogue. They are a different size than the original w601's which are 14 x 13, so as long as the ones on your wall are the correct size I wouldn't be worried.